PDA

View Full Version : sewing on cards

kimmyqtgirl
05-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Anyone good at sewing on cards? I want to give it a try any tips for the beginners? I just have my regular sewing machine so I have a lot of stitches I can choose from, and I heard I should designate a needle for papercrafts. Any other tips?
Thanks

Swanie78
05-19-2007, 07:51 PM
I used to all the time and the last time I used it I jammed the machine and havent tried to get it to work right again.
I just buy the cheap packs of needles at JoAnn's and change them the paper starts to catch.
Before you start to stitch on your card, do a practice run on a scratch piece of paper. I do this EVERY time. That way I can adjust the size of the stitch, the tension, etc.
I just got home from a stamp show, I might have to go in there and dig the machine out and play with it and my new stamps :)

moosemama
05-19-2007, 07:54 PM
I think you want a needle that has a lower number-I have tried several different sizes and find the 70 works OK and 80 and 90's make too big a hole. I haven't investigated yet but wonder if there is a size 60 needle and how that would work. For now I use a 70 that is somewhat dull. I wonder how using quilting thread verses other thread would work. I haven't done alot of sewing on cards, but definately it has a different feel from stitching on cotton. HTH

GrammaStamper
05-19-2007, 08:09 PM
According to my machine's instruction book, it says to use a needle that would be used on heavier fabrics, such as denim. So far, it's worked well for me. If you're lucky, Jennifer / inkinupstamps will provide a few tips. She is a master of sewing on both paper and fabric.

kimmyqtgirl
05-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks girls I am not the greatest at sewing, I will keep checking back for more tips. But I think I might go stamp some images, and get the sewing machine ready!