PDA

View Full Version : My temporary retirement now is now semi-temporary!

Clarissa
05-29-2007, 03:29 PM
On March 16th I was officially retired (ok, I resigned my job as I am not old enough to retire) (which I guess is a good thing) after working for the state for 20 years. Well, the family court case manager in another county just retired and they asked me to fill in part time until the end of Sept. and I said yes. The only part I don't care for is the one hour drive to and from their courthouse.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to occupy my mind for the 2 hours I am driving?? I find it so boring!

Nadine
05-29-2007, 03:39 PM
One of my coworkers listens to books on tape (or CD) from the library. That would keep you occupied for a bit! Especially if you have a library close to your house.

MyRnAbS
05-29-2007, 03:54 PM
I too listen to my audio books. However, I usually talk and talk and talk on the phone with Mary Jayne. Sometimes I'm so bored that I wake her up in the am, and I know she minds yet she never complains!! That's what I call a friend. I also listen to this talk show on my radio, and I just laugh all the way, people must think I'm crazy laughing away on my own. However, I don't drive that long, my drive is only 100 miles per day. I will start the commute again on the 4th of June. As for now I'm taking it easy. HTH.

Far North
05-29-2007, 04:13 PM
As for audio books....our library has a new system that you can order on line and then when it is available you can download it to your computer or MP3.
How cool is that--when you are busy you don't even have to go to library in person!

As for retirement--Congratulations! If you can work for one employer for 20 years I believe you have earned the right to use the word retirement!!! Go girl enjoy a few days before you are back at it!
...Jan

directmailscrapper
05-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I commute about 2-1/2 hours + per day -- and Books on Tape keep me sane! I used to listen to talk radio -- but after a while -- you realize that so much of it is negative and it starts to sound like the same old, same old! PLUS, now that I'm stamping when I have time, I don't have as much time to read. This way I can keep up with all of the Top Sellers. I really, really enjoy my recorded books! Nancy

ellie
05-29-2007, 04:55 PM
I vote for the books on tape too. It is a 12 hour drive to visit my sister and the last time I drove alone. I did the books on tape and it really made the drive seem short. If you live near a Cracker Barrel you can rent one there and return it at another one. I think there is a small fee for the first one just to make sure you return it but you will get that back when you turn in the books.

MyRnAbS
05-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Sounds like those tapes are the winners!! One time I heard a book by stephen king, and it was a short one like an hour and 1/2 and I was driving at night. I was scared to the bone!! I was waiting for Large Marge to get me, like the one that came out with pee wee herman, bwahahahaha!! No really that audio sounded awesome and those sound effects were out of this world. All the audios that I've heard are just read, not this one, this was was AWESOME. I too have tons of audio books, by danielle steel and scarry ones let me know if you need any I'll mail you some.

MidwestStamper
05-29-2007, 06:04 PM
I know that you can get the Harry Potter books on tape!

Clarissa
05-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Sounds like I know what to do!! I tried to get a good talk radio station on this morning and I couldn't find one- :( I do spend about half the ride driving through mountains so that might be why. The total time is about 2 1/2 hours round trip. I'll check out the library or I might go broke buying them!!