PDA

View Full Version : More Pet Woes

inkinupstamps
05-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Yes! I know this is a papercrafting website, but I also know you all dearly love your dogs and cats and fish and turtles and you name it. So do I!

This morning I completely freaked out (and I really don't generally use the words "freaked out" to describe me) when I saw a HUGE burst absess on my dear sweet Renoir. (See my pretty kitty in my avatar.)

I had no idea what had happened. I DID know that for the past week she had been sensitive to being stroked all the way down to her tail, but she did purr as she does and has been loving and affectionate. Still, in retrospect, I realize NOW that she has been in tremendous pain without being whiney.

Well, the size of the horrendous gouge out of her bohiney (it is under her tail near the anus - can I say that?) is easily a two inch by two inch circumference) But she never let me see what was going on.

Paul isn't a big cat lover but when I emailed him that I was heading for the vet, he dropped everything at work and went with me.

I think Renoir will be ok. We'll see. She is on antibiotics now and in one week we'll take her back to see if the absess needs surgery.

I love all of my pets dearly. It just breaks my heart that she's been suffering in virtual silence. We had no idea.

Please say a little prayer or have some positive healing thoughts for my sweet, sweet Renoir.

Jennifer

JBgreendawn
05-31-2007, 05:56 PM
something similar happened to storm right after we first got him one day i was petting him at work and i found a lump ( and i totally flipped out as the lump growing thing that slick had going on at that time i thought oh my gosh he's caught her cancer ) seriously.... then i showed it to my secretary and my husband and they both agreed they could feel a tiny little lump. later that night (after the vets were closed) the lump seemed bigger to me so, we agreed he was going straight in first thing in the am and then when we woke up in the morning it had popped or blew up or something out of his back during the night and there was an open hole in him, so by the time the vets opened all they could do was flush the wound and give him antibiotics. but the good part of this is that worked and what ever it was it was something he recovered from.
( they were guessing he could have rolled on a thorn or got snagged by slicks toenail or tooth when playing) they don't know what it was.

that is nice that your husband is able to leave what he's doing to go with you for things like that I think sometimes its scarier when it happens to a pet then a human ( because they cant tell you whats going on ) and whine?
you know.

{{ Hugs }}

inkinupstamps
05-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Oh Stacy. Thank you for your dear and sweet words of experience.

You know...I really never understood what an absess was until today. And when it "blows" it is horrendous! It was like the whole backside had blown out of her.

You are so dear and I thank you for understanding. YES! Our animals can't tell us their pain and their gentle natures rarely complain.

I'm really becoming my vet's greatest contributor lately!!! They know me by name....just not which of my animals I'm bringing in. THANK THE GOOD LORD we have pet insurance!!

Jennifer

workin4stamps
05-31-2007, 06:02 PM
oh my goodness, Jennifer! You just do not need another pet thing going on right now. Holy Cow!! I sure hope that Renoir will heal quickly and that she doesn't need surgery!

:-)
Traci

Erin K
05-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Do you remember my cat charbear having this a few weeks/months back? She had to have a drain and it was icky but now she's totally fine. I think they can take care of these pretty well. :)

Your pets are sure lucky to have a great mom like you.

Firecracker
05-31-2007, 06:29 PM
I will keep Renoir in my prayers. Animals are family members. Keep us posted on her condition. Hugs, Heather

ccstampin12
05-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Awwww....poor baby....poor you! I know how freaked out I get when my cats have something wrong so you're not alone!
Hoping all will heal just fine for your kitty.
HUGS
Joanie

toao
05-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Aww, poor kitty. I'm sure she will be okay. I had that happen to one of mine once too. They get scratched by another cat sometimes and infection sets in. It's an easy thing to miss because the fur hides it so well and the next thing you know you have a "mess". Just give her lots of love and attention. (along with the meds) I'm sending big ((HUGS)) your way.

Mary

mjbonoan
05-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Oh poor Renoir, I remember having a kitty when I was very young that had a similar problem. I don't remeber details since I was maybe 10 or so, what I can say is that the kitty was fine and lived a long happy life....

I will say a prayer for Renoir and you too, hopefully all will be fine!!

(((Hugs)))

Mary Jayne

mahodgman
05-31-2007, 07:56 PM
Oh no! Sampson had an absess not too long after we got him too. That is my kitty who was killed by a car. We knew something was wrong with him because he went out in the laundry room and hid. When we took him to the vet the next day, the vet poped that nasty thing. It was so gross and stinky too! He had to stay overnight and get a drain thing too. He healed up nicely, and everything worked out fine. I think it is pretty common for cats to get them especially if they aree outdoors.

You know, your Renoir looks very similar to our new kitty, Barnum. They called him a short-haired black tabby. I guess the tabby part is all about the markings. Did you know that? His stripes are black, but he is more of a brown/tan color on most of his body.

teabear
05-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Poor little Renoir. I am so sorry you are having more pet troubles. It's so hard when they can't tell you what is happening. I hope the antibiotics kick in fast and she heals up good as new. I love her name...Renoir is one of my very favorite artists :)

cecescraps
05-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Sorry to hear about Renoir being sick. I sure she will be fine in a few days. Just look at all the people she has sending happy thoughts and prayers her way. :)

Vintagegal
05-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Oh, Jennifer. You must've been so scared and upset. I'm so sorry to hear about Renoir. Aren't our pets amazing? They endure so much and just bear it all in silence. I will definitely say a prayer for quick healing. Poor Renoir. She must've been in so much pain. Poor kitty.

Far North
05-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Oh Jennifer I'm so sorry...not another animal problem at your house this week! So glad Paul joined you in going to the vet. Gentle lovin to everyone in your ark! ...Jan

cindi
05-31-2007, 08:14 PM
sorry to hear about this..we love our pets & never want them to suffer.
Poor kitty just couldn't tell you.
Prayers heading your way
:)

emmcee
05-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Give Renoir a pat and a hug from me. She's so pretty. Glad Paul was able to go with you to the vet. Hope Renoir improves quickly. :nod:

hbpuppy
05-31-2007, 08:52 PM
Poor Renoir. Cats are troopers aren't they? They are also really good at healing too. I'm sure he will be better very soon. Just keep an eye on his "down south" area.

inkinupstamps
05-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Each and every one of you ladies are such dearhearts! You know that, don't you? Thank you for your support and kind words. I love all of my animals...dogs, cats ....even the silly goldfish! You ladies are so supportive, informative and caring. GOD love ya!

Jennifer

GrammaStamper
05-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Jennifer, so sorry to hear about Renoir's difficulty. I'm sure, after reading all the posts, that he will be just fine, but how scary that must have been. I would be horrified if something like that happened to our Hank.

ellie
05-31-2007, 11:37 PM
I remember my mil's kittys getting these. I am pretty sure they all recovered and lived long happy lives. I hope poor Renoir will be feeling better now that it seems to have run it's course.

MyRnAbS
06-01-2007, 04:11 AM
:cry2: I'm so sorry to hear about your Renoir. I will keep him in my prayers. Please keep us posted with updates.

Clarissa
06-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Poor baby!! I have never heard of this sort of affliction and it appears to be quite common! Here's to a speedy recovery!