PDA

View Full Version : Ok girls ... this is a brand new forum ...

iloveflipflops
05-31-2007, 08:08 PM
Christie and I (among others I am sure) are shall we say "prismacolor challenged". Yes we try our best but we aren't blending right.

We need words of wisdom from some of you experts out there.

Please pretty please? :)

cindi
05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
me to the challenged list!l
LOL
I'll be watching this forum
:)

iloveflipflops
05-31-2007, 08:48 PM
Look what I just found ...

Haven't even read the whole thing yet but it looks beneficial :)

http://www.lockhartstampcompany.com/TipsTechniques1_2006.htm

Christie
05-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Omgoodness! Did you see all of her penicls!!! I only wish I had that many!

MyRnAbS
05-31-2007, 10:03 PM
subscribing, i too reek at it ;)

smileycollector
05-31-2007, 10:28 PM
I know what you mean Sherri! I wish we could get one of the pros to do an online class for us. (HINT) I would gladly pay for it.
I've had one class with Karen Lockhart at my favorite LSS in Sx Falls, SD and it was awesome. Also, I’ve found many excellent tutorials online and on blogs about coloring with Prismacolor Pencils. I mentioned these and had links to them in the last Shack newsletter (Ask Inky). Check out: Asela’s Hop Art Studio, Sweet Miss Daisy’s Sassy & Sweet Tips, Gamsol Magic, Lockhart Stamp Company, Inky Antics Colored Pencil Blending with Gamsol, Debbie Gimbel – The Magic Colored Pencil.
Happy PP'ing! :)

cindi
05-31-2007, 10:51 PM
this great info!!!
keep up the great dialog ladies!!
:)

ellie
05-31-2007, 11:02 PM
I need to be added to the forum too. I think her tutorial is great...also, I agree with the part about the blender pencil. I have a Prismacolor one and I don't think it works very well. I bought a LYRA brand and it is like magic. I love using it. Of course, I can't remember where I purchased it now though.

loobylou
05-31-2007, 11:47 PM
This site has a basic tutorial, which I found interesting. I don't have prismacolour pencils, just watercolours, but I find the technique/shading tips helpful. I am just a beginner
http://www.sanford-artedventures.com/create/artist/gimbel_mp.html
sarah

stampcrazyjulie
05-31-2007, 11:54 PM
I have read several different sites that have tutorials such as those listed above, and I am STILL prismacolor Challenged! So I too will be watching this thread! :)

Oh, as a side note, I did buy some tortillions that are made in Taiwan today in lieu of my one's from China....does that make a difference?

Jovi
06-01-2007, 12:50 AM
Oh, as a side note, I did buy some tortillions that are made in Taiwan today in lieu of my one's from China....does that make a difference?

A huge difference... The stumps from Taiwan are softer, which makes blending easier.

GSMom385
06-01-2007, 01:01 AM
I learned everything I know about shading and the like from my mother. (Not that I am an expert by any means) She was a painter but use to use colored pencils to sketch out a design before painting it. She was taught to paint by Jan McCraw. Jan has a great CD book on pencil techniques. http://www.ladybugcreations.com/artist.htm it is on the skill series page and is called colored pencils 101. If you click on the CD you can see the lessons inside. Some if you look in the painting section at craft stores you can find books on colored pencils as many painters do this.

kerry
06-02-2007, 09:16 PM
On the blending stump issue...I like the harder stumps and I ONLY use the big chunky ones, not those skinny tortillions that are floppy! It's very important to sharpen your stumps to a point every time you use them and DONT try to sharpen them so the tip is round and blunt. I did a class at my lss and explained/showed the students how to sharpen my stumps but they sharpened the tips right off! I spent forever sharpening them up so they were just the way I like them!

Some people like to do their coloring and blending very dark and some very light, I think it's a preference or just a style. I tend to do the softer, lighter pressure coloring so my images are usually not as bright or bold as some others.

Kerry