PDA

View Full Version : Are Copic Markers the Latest and Greatest?

mahodgman
06-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I have not had much time to play with my new Prisma markers yet, and now I'm seeing these Copic markers all over the place! I got to use some Copic markers at the Heirloom show a few weeks ago when I did a make and take at the A Muse booth. They sold out of the markers they brought to the show. I also watched Karen Lockhart use some Copic markers at a LSS recently. She was using them with her Prismacolor pencils, and it was really cool. AmyR just got a boatload of Copic markers for Mother's Day, I just read that on her blog this morning. And finally, ErinK just posted a way cool card in the gallery that she colored with Copic markers. What's going on? Am I behind the times already?

teabear
06-02-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't know, since I just recently got some tombows...I'm way behind. It seems like I remember that Erin did a comparison of the copics and prismas and she preferred the prismas. I can't remember if it was here or on her blog.

AmyR
06-02-2007, 02:15 PM
LOL yeah they're the latest must-have item - I wonder what will be next?

I HAVE to get my (OK my hubby's) moneys worth out of them (they ain't cheap after all!) and have been playing with them a LOT these past couple of days - so far I' really impressed!!

So far I'm just at the coloring and a *little* bit of blending stage - I haven't even got to using them with pencil crayons and all that!!

Erin K
06-02-2007, 04:10 PM
I learned the COOLEST trick last night for them.

Take two shades of the same color. Get you a nonporus surface (I used this arylic with thingie my LSS sells for this purpose, you can us a cd case, or a cd or whatever you want.) scirbble some of the darker shade on the surface. Then color you image with the lighter. Take your lighter marker and pick up a bit of the darker ink from the surface where you colored, you can then use it to add shading. it will wear off onto your paper so you will get gradiation!

How cool is that? I'm gonna take this whole big Copic marker class they teach I think because that one tip they told us was soooo good and apparently there are bunches of others.

Anyhow, yea copics are great. Oh the tip works just the very same with prismacolor markers. The actual marker tips (overuse of the word tip I know!) are different, but otherwise the behave almost the same. I use my copics hand and hand with my prismacolor markers. :)

AmyR
06-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Oh COOL thanks for the tip Erin!!

Which reminds me - my bud Lauren told me another one - she uses the Prismacolor markers but this will work for either the Prismacolor or the Copics and it's similar to your tip:

Scribble some color onto a non-porous surface and use the colorless blender to pick up the color and color with it (just as you would with ink and a blender pen) - supposed to be cool to do - I haven't tried it yet!

Erin K
06-02-2007, 04:43 PM
yes! I tried that too, as like an offshoot of the tip I gave. On my penguin pirate card in the gallery I did it with cream to give a super light cream on the white of his belly for shadow. Can you even see it? Anyhow it was cool. :)

If I take the class I'll post all the tips!