PDA

View Full Version : expired meat

Erin K
06-12-2007, 10:29 PM
So tonight Brian cleaned out the fridge, down under the drawer he found a thingie of bacon. This bacon LOOKS fine but the use or freeze by date is January. We are in a disagreement as to whether it's trash! How can he think it's ok for me to feed my family expired MEAT??

would any of you eat it??

stampinmom3
06-12-2007, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't eat it that's for sure!

MyRnAbS
06-12-2007, 10:34 PM
If I was hungry I'd eat it, if there was nothing left to eat ;) Then again I eat everything in the house. I don't know if I'd eat it because I don't cook! Mary Jayne is the one to ask. My mom and dh are the cooks in my house, Thank GOD!! I have enough to do to add cooking to my list!! Sorry I don't mean to offend you, I'm just being silly while I do my homework.

buggainok
06-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Erin, I may go out on a limb here and gross some people out, but here is my opinion:

I would personally rely on my nose to tell me if the bacon was okay to eat. You will have to fry a piece to tell. If it has been sealed and under refrigeration, probably it is fine.

Meats like bacon have so many preservatives in them, and they have been put through a long "curing" process to start with.

If the package was opened, it is an entirely different thing. Bacon will get "rancid" if you keep it too long after it has been opened.

PS I am a grandma and have never, ever gotten sick from anything I cooked in my own home - only once in a while after eating out, lol.

Christie
06-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Well I don't think I would eat it either. It would be differnt if it was frozen. I think that with small children you have to be extra carefull. No way would I feed it to them!! That's just me though.

Vintagegal
06-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Nope. Not a chance. Don't eat it. You'll risk getting some pretty nasty bacterial infection in your stomach.

Erin K
06-12-2007, 10:49 PM
OH and background I was already sick all weekend so I'm tender ya know...

anyhow it's in the trash I was just wondering

Erin K
06-12-2007, 10:57 PM
I did eat the found peperoni, but now my tummy hurts. course I was at a church activity with TONS of dessert foods so...

I figured peperoni was ok because 1. I seem to remember buying it last month and 2 it was in the fridge the whole time and 3. that hickory farms crap is good for years in the cubbard not even the fridge...

I tell you tomorrow if I get sick

mjbonoan
06-12-2007, 11:18 PM
I smell everything... before and after cooking it and before putting it in my mouth. If it's bacon and it's not sticky and smelly it's usually ok. I also keep my fridge super cold and most of my meats are vacuum packed (that vacuum sealer is the best Christmas present Mike ever got me)!!!

se_stamper
06-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Hmmm, I always say, that if ya gotta ask if the food is ok...don't eat it. Why risk getting the runz?

ellie
06-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Nope, No Way, Not Me! It has been expired for 5 months. I don't think it's worth risking little tummies. Of course, that's me, and I am a worry wart.

mjbonoan
06-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Ok, I agree January is way tooo tooo long...

iloveflipflops
06-13-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm glad you threw it out ... I am funny this way but I will not eat ANYTHING and I do mean ANYTHING if it has expired. No way. Out it goes!!

lisaguyon
06-13-2007, 09:30 AM
I would not have eaten it either. If it had been frozen and you just took it out I would say ok but in the fridge that long....no way.

Lisa

Erin K
06-13-2007, 09:41 AM
for the record I didn't even consider it, I just wondered if I was right or Brian was right. ;)

My3Ds
06-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Erin - the man didn't like your cupcakes, of course he is wrong about the meat. ha ha :)