PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you think of this ... let me first set the scene ...

iloveflipflops
06-21-2007, 07:33 PM
DD's 15th birthday is Monday. Her friends are planning something - do they tell me?! NO! One of the moms drops off a DMV book for Emily to study and she casually says to me "Oh I guess I should tell you, the girls are planning a surprise party for Emily on Monday". I am not sure where or what time but I was thinking here at your house!! I about died. Would they actually do this by surprising the whole family!??!?! I really hope they do not go this route. Then she suggested they may just take her out to eat and I was like Oh yes that would be great..... the thought of 10 kids coming over does not thrill me. And it could be more!!!! No thanks!!

LOL

GrammaStamper
06-21-2007, 07:41 PM
That's just too much. Phone her back and tell you you're not going to be home, you're taking Emily out shopping for the day. Make up something!

tojoco
06-21-2007, 07:46 PM
That is just awful. The nerve of them to assume you will all be home on her birthday. Unless they tell Emily what they are doing and it doesn't involve your house, I would plan a long day trip for your entire family. I would be fuming if I were in your shoes.

mahodgman
06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
What do I think? I think it is totally rude! They obviously should check with you before they take over your house, duh!

JBgreendawn
06-21-2007, 08:09 PM
well planning a surprise party is one thing but to assume they can do it at your house and not even ask you is an whole nother thing..

Do you think the other mom that told you this knows more details?

My3Ds
06-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Nothing like surprising your best friends entire family with a party at their house. Definitely let those girls know that your house if off limits to them for a party -- unless of course you agree. I'm laughing, but really it's a little rude of them.

loobylou
06-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Are they thinking that you would just by chance have enough food and drink to entertain them all when they "suprise" you??? Ring that mother back and tell her to have it at her house!!! or to let her daughter know that your house is NOT available! Was the mother Telling you to give you a quiet heads up- or to make you get the catering organised???
Sarah

stampinmom3
06-21-2007, 08:50 PM
I would be totally ticked! Don't think you are planning a party for MY daughter and not including me? I would take dd and go away for the day just to be a B.

emmcee
06-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Nope, need to nip this thing right now! THis kind of caper does sound like a bunch of teenage girls though! :laugh:

The mom must have been giving you a head's up and that's most likely a good thing.

Erin K
06-21-2007, 11:43 PM
unacceptable. SHEESH!

CRAFTNMOM
06-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Wowza! Apparently they think you are supermom. Ok....you kinda are.... but that is pretty bold!
:)
Catherine

inkinupstamps
06-22-2007, 06:36 AM
The thought (of the party for Emily, I mean) is nice but HOW RUDE, to assume that just because you have a lovely and large home and are always a great hostess that you can be assumed to have open doors to anyone and anytime. I agree! UNACCEPTABLE and you must nip this in the bud, as Michelle says. Now! Get the details today so you don't spend the weekend wondering. JMO

Christie
06-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Wow that is a little rude. I think you should call her and tell her that your house isn't available! I would tell her that her house is a better option!

ellie
06-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Well, I guess I am the odd one. While I do think it's rather presumptuous of them, they are after all only 15. I think it's a good way to get to know her friends and see who she is hanging out with. As the kids get older, it is harder and harder to find that out...esp. when they have their license. They will want to ge on the go all the time and many times you won't know who all is there.
Last Friday night Jeremy had about 25 of his friends here. I only found out about it because my dil sent me an e-mail. He wasn't being devious....just forgetful. Anyway, I just bought hot dogs, chips, and soda. It wasn't expensive but they had a blast and I got to talk to them and get to know them a little better.

flyingflower
06-22-2007, 10:47 AM
IF they all show up with all the food, it would be a lot more acceptable then expecting you to be the caterer. I would call the mom and ask specifics (time, # people, confirm that they have all bases covered on food/drink). I personally don't do well with surprise visits - I would FREAK!

logcabincreations
06-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Good grief Charlie Brown!!! I'm surprised at this other mother's behavior. And, thank you very much, but I'm sure you could have picked up a DMV study book on your own.....right? I would definitely call her back and tell her you already have "family" plans for your d's birthday. What does dh think about all this?