PDA

View Full Version : Seems wimpy but I could use your prayers {a little long}

Vintagegal
06-28-2007, 06:19 AM
Sometime over the weekend, I had inhaled a bunch of cleaning stuff. It caused my throat to burn very badly by Sunday night. Now, keep in mind that when I clean I am wary of using products in a well-ventilated area. But, I guess I'm super sensitive to cleaning stuff because I'm highly allergic even to stamp cleaners (can you believe that?)

So, on Monday morning, I went to see the doctor at 10 AM to see if I needed a breathing treatment (I have asthma on top of it all); and the doctor said, "no." My oxygen levels were normal as far as he was concerned. Still, he didn't seem too interested in the information I was giving him about the cleaning solutions I was using (I had cleaned the carpet, cleaned out my refrigerator, cleaned the bathtubs and toilets, etc.)

He has chalked up my breathing issues and nasal congestion to a bad cold. Oh, and he swabbed my tonsils for strep. It is now DAY THREE, and I still don't have the results from that strep-test. How idiotic is that? On top of which, he wouldn't start me on an antibiotic regimen but felt strongly enough to gag me with the swab test. (So, I could be walking around with strep but 3 days later, I still don't have results from my test).

I've missed two days of work this week because I've been sick and dizzy. I can't go to the emergency room unless I'm at death's door (we have Tricare - military insurance). So, I'm taking Mucinex, Tylenold Cold, Claritin and Advair for my allergies and asthma and Robitussin for the soreness in my throat. Do any of these things help? Only temporarily.

I'm not sure what to do now. The doctor says I've got a bad cold? Really? I went from being perfectly fine while cleaning, to all of a sudden having a burning throat.....and I have a bad cold? Don't bad colds develop over time, not hit you like truck in a matter of two hours? If you could spare some cheese with my whine, or a little itty bitty prayer for my comfort I would really appreciate it. I don't know if I'm dealing with a doctor who just doesn't care or if I really do have a "bad cold".......or strep. Thanks.

moosemama
06-28-2007, 06:31 AM
I'll keep you in my prayers Ethel. It sounds like you have concerns about your health right now and you probably know yourself better than the doctor. Maybe a follow up visit is in order, especially if you aren't feeling better yet. They see so many people over the course of a day and sometimes maybe they overlook things and don't tune into what the patient is really saying. HTH.

loobylou
06-28-2007, 06:37 AM
would you consider getting a second opinion? These symptoms sure sound like an allergic reaction/sensitivity. When I have some orange juices I react this way, Not immediately, but within hours my throat is burning like I have strep. my nose is bunged up, and I feel slightly wheezy, though not a full on asthma attack. I just have to ride it out, nothing seems to help, except pain relievers do dull my throat. i feel for you
Sarah

tesschap
06-28-2007, 06:39 AM
Oh sweetie. I'll keep you in my prayers and I hope that you feel better soon. I'm sure you know better than your doctor and it angers me when they dismiss what we have to say. Sending you a BIG HUG.

LinzyD
06-28-2007, 07:34 AM
That stinks big time. I will certainly pray for your throat to feel much better very, very quickly.
How does baby swiss sound...perhaps munster? ;)
Feel better soon, Ethel!
Linzy

shuggy
06-28-2007, 08:01 AM
sorry you are not feeling well!! i would call and ask about the strep test. hope you feel better soon.

My3Ds
06-28-2007, 08:51 AM
Wish I could help. Here's a thought though - just in case it's strep. Go back to that Dr and give him a big ole kiss and hand him a drink (that you of course have drank from). Hugs to you ((( )))

toao
06-28-2007, 10:06 AM
There's no way a strep test should take that long. When I have had them done, they told me within minutes what the results were. It sounds to me like your doctor wasn't listening to you at all. I would definitely call and demand the results and even go see another doctor. That is just unacceptable. I will say a prayer for your health...and I'm sending some ((HUGS)) your way.

Mary

Vintagegal
06-28-2007, 10:10 AM
There's no way a strep test should take that long. When I have had them done, they told me within minutes what the results were.

I KNOW!!!!!!!!

I even asked the nurse why he (the doctor) wouldn't give me antibiotics if he felt strongly enough to give me a strep test!!!! She said they don't give antibiotics unless it's a POSITIVE result. OK (duh!) so they'd rather have me walk around, contagious, rather than start me on a regimen and pull me on in a day.

Why does it take up to three days for the results? Beats me!!! (Stupid military doctor...........)

Vintagegal
06-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Thank you, for your kind thoughts and prayers.

Linzy.....Baby Swiss or Havarti or Asiago.....those are my faves.

Could someone throw in some French bread too, while they're at it? LOL!

logcabincreations
06-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Ethel

Is there any color to drainage/mucous? If it is anything BUT clear, you have an infection. I would bug the heck out of that doctor's office about the strep test. More than likely you have a severe sinus infection brought on by the fumes. I volunteered last weekend to work at the bingo hall where it is smoky. Sun. morning I woke up with a sore throat and slight headache; Monday I had a Migrain; went to doctor and although my nose isn't stuffy, she said I have a sinus infection. The antibiotic seems to be doing the trick.

Good luck!

dreis1
06-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi Ethel, Sorry to hear about your health problems. I have suffered many, many allergic reactions. My dear this is what is happening to you. You need bynadryl to stop it. I went into antifaltic (ms) shock with one from using Alberto VO5 Hair Styling Spritz. Was on my way to work when it started, instead drove myself to ER. This left a blood red stripe down the back of my throat.

These reactions can leave you with cold or sinus like symptoms.

May I suggest something that I know from long experience will work and do a fabulous job for your cleaning chores. It is called Basic H, and is made by Shaklee Products. I bottle will work at different strengths for every cleaning job you have. If I were close enough to you, I would give you some. It is sold thru distributors only. I am sure there is one close to here you live. You can also sign up for about $20.00. Check out their website @ www.shaklee.com.

If I can help further let me know. Glinda

Patty
06-28-2007, 12:39 PM
doctor care? I would not be as patient as you are (no pun intended.) I would call and get the results--if he doesn't pay attention this time, I would seek other help. HIS throat probably feels fine! 3 days is a very long time to be hurting---and waiting. Have you had better experiences with this doctor?

God Bless you and your throat--If anyone has an image of cheese I would make definitely send you a card--feel better--patty

Patty
06-28-2007, 12:41 PM
AND, PS---stop cleaning. That's why we stamp instead. Cleaning is not good for you!!

patg
06-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Ethel, I'm keeping you in my thoughts! I hope you feel better soon! Pat

teabear
06-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Sending you a big hug Ethel along with some dill Havarti and a nice sourdough french bread.

lisaguyon
06-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Oh Ethel, I am so sorry that you are feeling bad. Seems like you are having a allergic reaction or allergy to something you used. If they did a quick strep they should have had the results in less than 5 min. If they did a strep culture that should only take 24-48 hours. I would call the doctors office or better yet go back in.

Rest and take care of yourself.

Lisa

Vintagegal
06-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Got the results back. No, I don't have strep, but I have to be re-evaluated tomorrow morning at 7:30 AM. I'm now wheezing, the sputum (snot) coming out of my nose is a nice Spanish Moss green, I'm sweating and I just want to throw up everything I eat. Nice, huh?

So, tomorrow morning, I hope the doctor prescribes some antibiotics for me because it sounds like this is a bacterial infection more than anything.

PS. Kim........I'm asking my husband to package up and mail off Clarissa's CJ to you so I don't get you sick.