PDA

View Full Version : Back from vacation

GSMom385
07-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Well I survived vacation. The Dells were fun but more water than I ever care to see again. How many ways can they scare you to death with a water slide, let me count the ways, and my kids had to try them all. We didn't miss a one while we were there. They had loads of fun and I am still downing my tums to keep my stomach in check. The older I get the less and less I can handle stuff that turns and twists me in ways my body was never intended to go. The only bad part of the trip was Ripley's Believe it or Not!! My DH and DD's started calling it Rip off believe it. I would definately skip that one if you go. We power shopped MOA in about 2 hours it was really just a quickie stop for us, as DH was in a big toot to get more highway in that night. But it was enough to get me really pumped for our trip in Sept. I counted 6 Coldstone creamy places and I intend to eat a smoothie at every one!!! Yummm.

toao
07-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Welcome back! I totally can relate to you about the thrill rides....why is it we can't ride things that we used to in our youth?! It's a bummer. Sounds like you all had a nice time.

Mary

iloveflipflops
07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU DO MOA IN 2 HOURS?!?!??!?! You must've jogged through it. Wait a minute, I take that back .... you must RAN through it at lightening speed. Did you buy anything there? All clothes there are tax free I think.

hbpuppy
07-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Welcome back Cindy. MOA in 2 hours? Wow. That must be a record. Did you go on any of the Camp Snoopy rides? The first rubber stamp I ever went to was in the MOA. I was in awe. I don't know if it's still there but there was a Mary Engelbeit store in there and I bought a really cute cherry rubber stamp there.

MidwestStamper
07-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Sounds like you had a fun but quick trip! When we went to the WI Dells a couple years ago, I didn't go on any water rides--I just enjoyed the wave pool. We went on boat tours of both the upper and lower Dells, which were beautiful and interesting. We also really enjoyed one place that was sort of a Space and Science exhibit, and also the Wonder Spot that was out of town a ways. But my boys were older, 13 & 15 then.

midnitecreations
07-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Welcome back. Bet your stomach's glad to be home if not the kids. Sounds like you had a great time. Now if you could just have a vacation from your vacation! lol

directmailscrapper
07-05-2007, 11:29 PM
After graduating from college, I taught school and lived in Williamsburg, VA, right near Busch Gardens. We used to get a local pass and go after school and we would ride the Loch Ness Monster roller coaster over and over and over again. (Back in the day, that was considered an amazing roller coaster). Now just looking at it makes me want to "hurl"! No question, getting older stinks! Glad you had a great time. Some day I'd like to visit MOA! Nanc

shurlyjean
07-06-2007, 07:50 AM
What parks did you go to? Mt. Olympus? Noah's Ark? Where did you stay? We go to the Wilderness in the winter.

Shirley

GSMom385
07-07-2007, 02:29 AM
We stayed at Great Wolf Lodge because our Cabela's Visa card sends us great rates for their resorts all over the place. They had a summer package with tokens for the arcade/ crafts for the kids and several meals included that would have been really hard to pass up. But we went to Noah's Ark and Mt Olympus, we didn't stay long at that one as DH hit his knee in the wave pool, so we missed the big coaster (Thank the gods) after Noah's I don't think my stomach could have handled that one. I registered ahead of time with our travel agency and they sent us some fantastic coupons for two for the price of one at most of the attractions, it was great, cheapest vacation we have went on in a long time. Had to be however as I am saving for MOA in Sept and then Vegas with DH in Feb/March sometime when he goes to the National Archery thingie. As for MOA in 2 hours that WASN'T my idea ladies. DH wouldn't let us stay any longer. He and the kids did some Camp Snoopy stuff while I quickly checked out Archiver's and a couple of other stores, no clothes shopping but I normally try to schedule myself for Fairbault right before school starts so I can hit Tanger anyway so I wasn't worried about getting my no tax clothes in. One of the small perks of traveling. One thing I did buy at MOA that was too funny was a squirel bungee feeder. It is a bungee cord that has a bell and then places for two ears of corn, you put it in your tree and the squirels bounce on it while attacking the corn. We saw it in the MN store as it is made in MN. My kids HAD to have one. It is hanging in our tree with the other 10 squirel feeders we have back there. They haven't found it yet but the kids are waiting for the big day. We have the black and flying squirels here so the kids love to watch them it is quite a treat as our whole backyard is white aspen trees.

MidwestStamper
07-07-2007, 07:58 AM
I just heard about black squirrels lately--we don't see them up here much in Minnesota--just the gray ones. We think it's a big deal because there's one black and a couple white albino ones that live in a nearby park!

It's funny because even though I live within walking distance to MOA I rarely go there--especially now that my boys are older teens. We actually avoid it on weekends, because we know how crowded it can get.

And it never occured to me that people from other states come here to buy clothes! Is having no tax on clothes that rare? I'd better appreciate it more!

GSMom385
07-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Well at 8% here for tax, it is a big deal on especially school purchases. MN is pretty rare on the no tax on clothes thing, at least where I travel all the other states have taxes on them. SD and MO being the worst on their tax rates, I don't even go shopping in those states if I can help it. Iowa does a tax free weekend for back to school shopping but it is crazy to go shopping that weekend. I know I should support my state but I honestly try to buy all the kids stuff anyway in MN when I am there. It really does save. Not sure I would drive up there special if I didn't have to go there anyway however like some people do.