PDA

View Full Version : Babysitting delima...

LinzyD
07-07-2007, 01:07 AM
I was hoping you guys could give me some advice...
For the past 4 months I've been babysitting evey couple of weeks for a girl that I work with (she's also a friend of mine, but we're not that close). The first several times that I babysat for her she paid me about $20 bucks each day (usually when I babysit it is for a minimum of 9 hours since she works 12 hour shifts) and I was okay with the $20. I felt like I was helping her out but at the same time still earning a little bit of cash. Well, one day I literally babysat pretty much all day b/c she worked and then her and her husband went out on a date. When she picked him up she paid me $80! I told her that that was way too much money and the only way I would babysit again is if the next time I babysat she didn't pay me. She agreed. Well, that was like 6 or 7 times ago and she hasn't paid me since! :eek: I like babysiting for her, but the baby just turned 6 months old so he's still a lotta work, ya know? Plus his parents literally hold him all the time and he SCREAMS if you leave the room for a second (like to go to the kitchen or something). The thing that bothers me is she is a RN and therefore makes decent $$ (at least twice what I earn) and her husband also makes okay money. I wouldn't mind doing it pro-bono if it were only a few hours at a time, but it's always for at least 8 or 9 hourse at a time. A few of the times I watched Jackson were simply because her husband had errands he needed to run or stuff he needed to get done-even on those days I still babysat for over 8 hours!
I babysat for them a couple of days ago and when the dad came home he hinted around that he wanted me to offer to babysit again this weekend. He said, "Man, this weekend is really gonna suck-Rhonda has to work both days so I'll have to watch him all weekend." HELLO?!? Part of being a parent means that it isn't always convient! :worried: I'm starting to feel like they're just taking advantage of me. I think she might have just misunderstood when I said I didn't want her to pay me next time...I guess she thought that it meant she never had to pay me?
What is a polite way to bring this up? I thought about just telling her the next time she asks me to babysit that I can't because I'm short on cash so I'm hoping to pick up extra shifts. Does that sound okay? I really don't want to hurt her feelings but it I kinda get the feeling that they think that I just enjoy babysiting (which I do but not for 8-10 hours straight with a cranky baby) and don't mind doing it for free. I keep hoping she'll get the hint but so far...my pockets are empty and my patience is running out!
Please help!
Linzy

hbpuppy
07-07-2007, 01:26 AM
Hi Linzy. I think that you should just be honest. I don't think that you need to feel bad. I mean, if they trust you enough to watch their kid then they should want to know how you are doing with the whole arrangement. I would just tell them that you are glad that they feel comfortable leaving their child with you and that you enjoy having her over. Then explain that there might have been a miscommunication about the payment. And tell them what you meant to say.

Don't feel bad and don't hint. They might be dense like me and don't get hints very well. I think that being direct shows them respect too. And, like I said, you don't need to feel bad. You've taken good care of their kid and for $2 an hour or less. Just figure out what you want from the situation and ask for it.

You are great and super sweet to always think about others feelings.

directmailscrapper
07-07-2007, 01:33 AM
Linzy, you need to value yourself more! Helping a friend out ONCE is fine, after that, it is a JOB. Around here babysitters are paid $10/hour and UP! You should decide how much you want to get paid (by the hour) and then tell her that is what you are going to charge. She can then decide if she wants to hire you or not. Don't sell yourself short! I don't know what the going rate is where you live, but don't settle for less than the high end of what babysitters in your area make. After all, she isn't hiring a 13-year old to watch her kids -- she is hiring YOU!

ellie
07-07-2007, 01:48 AM
I agree with Heather and Nancy--after all, you are caring for their most precious posession and a baby so young requires a lot of work. Having someone that you can trust is a major blessing so don't feel bad...just be honest with them.

MyRnAbS
07-07-2007, 01:55 AM
OMG!!! I agree you need to be forward! I know it's very hard to do, but it's the best way.

1. Drink a RedBull
2. Take life by the horns
3. Have a little talksy with ur girlfriend
4. Drink another Redbull, but add a teeny tiny shot of tequila.
5. Call it a day!

Sending prayers your way immediately for support and strenght!!

GSMom385
07-07-2007, 02:35 AM
Honesty is always best. I would never dream of leaving my kids any place without paying the sitter friend or otherwise unless it was my close family and even then I still offer they never take it but I still offer.

LinzyD
07-07-2007, 02:53 AM
I think you guys are right. I do just need to be honest with her. I don't want to hurt her feelings but at the same time, if I just stop babysitting for her she might just think I don't like her baby or something and would not want her to think that! I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the input!
Linzy

LinzyD
07-07-2007, 02:55 AM
1. Drink a RedBull
2. Take life by the horns
3. Have a little talksy with ur girlfriend
4. Drink another Redbull, but add a teeny tiny shot of tequila.
5. Call it a day!

This cracked me up! I got really sick off tequila once so I think I'd have to use vodka... ;)

MyRnAbS
07-07-2007, 04:20 AM
I'm sorry for being silly, but I wanted to make u feel better. Laughter is the best thing. I agree, and I'm totally like you, i'm very non confrontal as mary jayne tells me. And for me this would be very hard not unless i was drunk ;) But I wish u the best of luck with whatever u decide. God knows that if it were me, ur friend would have a lifetime free babycity ;)