PDA

View Full Version : sherry and lincoln

shuggy
07-18-2007, 12:22 PM
what did you decide? just hope everything is okay.

Erin K
07-18-2007, 12:47 PM
yea I was wondering too. ??

HeatherJ
07-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Me too, I was afraid to ask.....

maxiesmom
07-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Me too, haven't been here much lately. Didn't know if I missed it.

Sherry
07-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Well, I'm embarrased to say it, but Lincoln is still here with us. DH saw how upset I was at having to send him back and he made it a personal mission to work with Lincoln. He wanted to give him just one more chance to prove to us that he could be the dog we hoped he would be.

I'm happy to report that there has been no teeth baring, no growling, and no biting at all since I wrote my last note about Lincoln. We even were able to, for the first time ever, take him for a 45 minute walk along the waterfront trail, something we could NEVER do before. He would always freak out when he saw another person or dog. When we took him on the 45 minute walk, he was a little freakish during the first two minutes and was pulling DH all over the place. I told DH that we need to put him back in the car and go back home. DH refused and said "No, we are in charge here, and WE are going for a walk". He took the bull (literally) by the horns and made Lincoln "Heel". After 10 minutes, Lincoln became a different dog and "heeled" the rest of the way on his own. He even seemed to be enjoying himself. THEN, we saw a person approaching us from the other direction, on a bike no less. I began to panic because I knew that Lincoln had issues with people. The bike got closer and I took Jenna and pulled her with me into the bushes making room for the fiasco that was about to happen. And you know what? Nothing. NOTHING happened. The dog turned around to see the bike passing us but he did not flip out! What on earth happened to my dog from hell??

We also purchased a large dog run and when things are getting "ify" indoors, I put him outside in his run. By "ify" I mean if Jenna decides that she wants to play barbies on the floor or if she wants to play dress-up with her long, flowing pink feather boa that is irresistable to puppies. If I think that whatever we're doing might get Lincoln overly excited, he goes outside for an hour or so. This really has seemed to be a sanity saver for me and Jenna doesn't have to chase the dog all over the house to get her barbie head back (this is the kind of thing that usually resulted in a bite - her taking something away from the dog).

Seriously though - Lincoln is treading on thin ice. I've alerted the breeder and told her what is happening and we told her that if there is just one more incident, he will be on the next plane back to Ontario. So far, Roy's determination is paying off. Lincoln seems to be getting the message that humans are in charge of everything.

Christie
07-25-2007, 07:40 AM
That's wonderful news Sherry!!! I hope that he keeps up being a good boy. You will have to show your dominace as well. I'm glad your dh is working with him so hard and that you are seeing a differnce!

GrammaStamper
07-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Sherry, I hope it all works out the way you want, but alerting the breeder was a good idea. Plan B is always a necessity.

ccstampin12
07-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Great news!
So happy Lincoln is beginning to "see the light!"
I think dogs are so challenging to train.
Good luck!
Joanie

threefriends91
07-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Sherry you sure had your hands full but sounds like your hb and the runway is working out, l pray all stays well.

toao
07-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Good job. It's nice that things are looking up at the moment. I hope they continue to stay that way for you. At least you have alerted the breeder and they know what to expect if things don't work out. Sounds like you have a good attitude about the whole thing regardless of the outcome.

Mary

ChristyR
07-25-2007, 10:45 AM
good for you guys...hopefully he will turn out to be the dog your family needs :)

JBgreendawn
07-25-2007, 10:45 AM
whew!
that is good to read, I wanted to know too but wasn't brave enough to ask and didn't want to make you feel bad...
I hope this works out for you all the way you want it to!
(( HUGS ))

Erin K
07-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Sounds like he's not a totally bad dog, if you stay firm with him he may be ok after all. I hope he does. I'm glad it's working so far. I"m also glad to hear you are determined to keep your daughter safe and are prepared to ship him back if need be. Lets hope it doesn't come to that though.

:) Best of luck!

mydogstinks2
07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
That is great news! Sounds like with a little more work things will get even better! Lincoln just needed to know who was the boss and who was in charge.

ellie
07-25-2007, 12:12 PM
I am so glad for you...this type of thing is so traumatic. Do you get the show the "Dog Whisperer" there? He gives great tips...you could probably see him online. There may be a few tips there for dh to try. Hope all stays well.

shuggy
07-25-2007, 12:55 PM
good. maybe some more work and he will get even better!

Caboverde1
07-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Oh im so glad Sherry...I was wondering too...but I knew it was a tender spot and didnt want to pour alcohol on it...But im glad its better!

Tonii