PDA

View Full Version : I spent my birthday with Pierre-Auguste RENOIR!

inkinupstamps
08-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I have had a wonderful birthday today and I have to share a couple of photocopies of real art and not just my wanna-be artist ambitions of my own creations.

Today is my birthday (way too many years for what I feel like in my head so don't ask!) Anyway, Paul took today off work and we began my birthday celebration with lunch in downtown Ottawa, ON at a WONDERFUL restaurant called SANTE's. It is an Asian-fusion restaurant...a lot of Thai cuisine. It is W+O+N+D+E+R+F+U+L!! A real treat kind of place.

From there we walked over to the National Art Gallery of Canada where a special exhibit of Pierre-Auguste Renoir's work is on display. You have to understand that Renoir and Monet have long been two of my favorite Impressionist artists and to see Renoir's work was just amazing! I can't even begin to tell you how exciting it was to see this exhibit. Plus, the National Art Gallery of Canada is one of the most beautiful achitecturally perfect buildings to house great works of art that it made it even more of a treat.

So I am posting two little photos of Renoir's work. Actually, the exhibit we saw today was of his landscapes. Amazing! Paul and I talked the entire way home in excited chatter about all we learned and saw.

OH...I should have said that my day started off with a gift certificate from Paul to Heather's Stamping Haven in Ottawa. Little does Paul know, I went there yesterday and drowned my sorrows of being older in a big bill for new stamps. But now I can go back and spend HIS $$$. How cool is that? If you've ever been to Ottawa or plan to come, Heather's is a must see stamp store.

I received so MANY beautiful birthday cards. I just took a photo of them all and was going to post it as well. However..........someone's new puppy has chewed the cord that goes from the digital camera to the computer and they won't upload! Must be Paul's puppy 'cuz surely my pup wouldn't do such a naughty thing.

Thank you for the wonderful cards and treats! I've had one of the nicest birthday's I've had in a long time.

JBgreendawn
08-10-2007, 05:03 PM
oh that sounds so wonderful! :)
( yep gotta be Paul's puppy...)
hee hee

inkinupstamps
08-10-2007, 05:06 PM
For having the PERFECT puppy as I always claim he is...the stinker just did it and so fast and ..... ARGH! Glad it was just a cable. Coulda been worse.

Naughty pup!

Tantalize
08-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Awww!!! I know its a bit a nuisance, but I think its adorable that he chewed the cord. (Perhaps if it was my cord, I wouldnt think it was so cute after all. ;) But Im glad that you have had a wonderful day Jennifer. You completely deserve it. I hope you will be ending your day off right. What are the rest of your plans for the day?

inkinupstamps
08-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Awww!!! I know its a bit a nuisance, but I think its adorable that he chewed the cord. (Perhaps if it was my cord, I wouldnt think it was so cute after all. ;) But Im glad that you have had a wonderful day Jennifer. You completely deserve it. I hope you will be ending your day off right. What are the rest of your plans for the day?

Thanh, you are so sweet!

Well, on the way back from the National Art gallery we stopped at the Byward market and bought some fresh bread at a Boulangerie that is just the BEST and some farm fresh tomatoes and also cheese. We are going to have grilled cheese sandwiches with fresh veggies and then Paul rented "MISS POTTER" for us to watch tonight. I have been wanting to see this movie and I knew he didn't but he rented it for me so how sweet is that.

This has been such a fun day for me. All of my favorite things. I'm so spoiled!! Ain't life grand? :)

toao
08-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Sounds like a perfectly wonderful day Jennifer. Now you can spend more crafting money guilt free! LOL

Mary

Deborah
08-10-2007, 07:12 PM
It's so nice to read about such a wonderful day! I'm so happy for you!

When we were in Parisa few years ago (the one and only time), we spent hours and hours and HOURS at the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay. I stayed in the French Impressionist areas (lol) and Dennis went who-knows-where!

Then we went to a museum exclusively devoted to Monet, and THEN we went to Monet's Gardens and toured his home in Giverny. Oh my. Even though it was raining a light spring sprinkle that day, it was pure heaven for me! The main gardens were in glorious bloom, and to actually stand in the Japanese gardens where he painted his water lily series was awe inspiring.

Have to tell you a little story. We have ONE photo of the two of us together in France. (I have dozens and dozens of Dennis of course) We were in Giverny, and this was before the days of readily available digital cameras. I had the film developed, and there we were, each holding umbrellas, me looking happy-happy-happy, and Dennis looking...well...LESS than happy...positively scowling to tell the truth. So I showed him the photo and mentioned that I couldn't recall him being upset or anything that day, to which he replied "Ooooohhhh NOOOOO, now WHY would I be UPSET!? Here we are in PARIS, and YOU want to go spend the day in the RAIN looking at some dead guy's garden!"

Oh my. Makes me chuckle out loud five years later.

Thanks for reminding me of that little memory Jennifer! :cute:

I know very little about art I'm afraid, but have long been drawn to the impressionist masters.

What a WONDERFUL way to spend your birthday!!

Deborah.

PS I had my FIRST beaver tail at the Byward Market! (lol)

cindi
08-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Jennifer your day sounds wondeful..well. except the part where Pauls puppy chewded your cord!
I'm so happy for you to have a great day..you certainly deserve it!
Happy birthday
:)

inkinupstamps
08-10-2007, 07:58 PM
It's so nice to read about such a wonderful day! I'm so happy for you!

When we were in Parisa few years ago (the one and only time), we spent hours and hours and HOURS at the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay. I stayed in the French Impressionist areas (lol) and Dennis went who-knows-where!

Then we went to a museum exclusively devoted to Monet, and THEN we went to Monet's Gardens and toured his home in Giverny. Oh my. Even though it was raining a light spring sprinkle that day, it was pure heaven for me! The main gardens were in glorious bloom, and to actually stand in the Japanese gardens where he painted his water lily series was awe inspiring.

Have to tell you a little story. We have ONE photo of the two of us together in France. (I have dozens and dozens of Dennis of course) We were in Giverny, and this was before the days of readily available digital cameras. I had the film developed, and there we were, each holding umbrellas, me looking happy-happy-happy, and Dennis looking...well...LESS than happy...positively scowling to tell the truth. So I showed him the photo and mentioned that I couldn't recall him being upset or anything that day, to which he replied "Ooooohhhh NOOOOO, now WHY would I be UPSET!? Here we are in PARIS, and YOU want to go spend the day in the RAIN looking at some dead guy's garden!"

Oh my. Makes me chuckle out loud five years later.

Thanks for reminding me of that little memory Jennifer! :cute:

I know very little about art I'm afraid, but have long been drawn to the impressionist masters.

What a WONDERFUL way to spend your birthday!!

Deborah.

PS I had my FIRST beaver tail at the Byward Market! (lol)

Ohhh Deborah! To get to spend a day, rain or shine, at Giverny is or certainly would be for me a dream come true. I loved your story and Dennis' perception of your day was...well...typical male response. And funny too! LOL

You mean to tell me you've never had a beaver tail before? My favorite is with mable and cinnamon! Yummy!

ellie
08-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Sounds like a great day. I love the Impressionists... there is an original Renoir at the Biltmore Estate and I love to look at it.

teabear
08-11-2007, 11:45 AM
What a perfectly lovely birthday. I saw a Renoir exhibit in Paris many long years ago, but it still moves me to remember it. You really can't capture the light and beauty in a book or print. The real thing is amazing. We also visited your National Art Museum on our one and only Canada trip...It's such a gorgeous place. All those windows...ahhhh. I'm so happy to hear about your beautiful birthday.