PDA

View Full Version : Sorry but I just gotta ask this ....

iloveflipflops
08-13-2007, 10:24 AM
I switched Tudi onto another dog food because for whatever reason, the lady where we got her from would not tell me what kind of food she was feeding her. She did give me a ziplock bag full of the food so I have been mixing it with the new food for 3 days now. This morning she had major diarreah (sorry!) and now she is eating grass when she goes outside which tells me she might have an upset stomach. I switched her to this chicken & rice (which is what she was on before) and the brand of food is called Blue. I had never heard of it but it is supposedly all natural ingredients so how long do I let her have this diarreah and is this normal to do this????

JBgreendawn
08-13-2007, 10:27 AM
i don't know how long is normal but i would call the vet and ask what they recommend when they open?

the breeders we got ours from actually showed us the bag and gave us a few days of the food so i was able to get the same stuff....
we are feeding ours Purina Pro Plan Large breed puppy food. at a pet store (petco) its about 30.00 for 40 pounds. ( and i have a few 5.00 off coupons as the first bag i bought had like 5 of them in it..)

hth,

ellie
08-13-2007, 10:28 AM
When you switch foods, I do think it's normal for their tummies to get upset. If it were me, I would just call the vet and ask a question. I wouldn't want to see her get de-hydrated esp. in this heat. When Zoe had trouble with her food, the vet told me to put her on boiled chicken and white rice for a couple of days. Let us know how she's doing.

ctinyjoy
08-13-2007, 10:28 AM
I hear this is normal for any animal when their diet gets changed. I think it just needs to work out of her system. I would try to call the lady back and explain what is happening and that you need the name of the food she used. If the symptoms get any worse. i would then contact the vet. Hope all gets better in this area for you and HER.

Swanie78
08-13-2007, 10:32 AM
It probably IS the switch in food thats causing it.
You can add rice to the mix of dog food to help with the diarrhea. I used to work at kennel (the #1 kennel in IL!) and we did that all the time. The dogs love it :)
Really strange though that the breeder wouldnt tell you what she was feeding the dog. I'd call her though and tell her you HAVE to know what she was being fed, as the switch in foods has caused a major problem. Unless she was feeding some major crap food or giving the dog something very unhealthy, there shouldnt be a reason that she cant give you that information.

stampcrazyjulie
08-13-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't understand WHY the Lady wouldn't tell you what kind of food that she was feeding Tudi.....what's up with that? Is it some sort of secret? Or worse? :(

I too have this problem with my Dog when we switch her food. It usually goes away within a day or 2.

Good Luck......

tesschap
08-13-2007, 10:36 AM
I agree that it is normal for a couple of days. I would call your vent to ask for advice if this persists for more than one or two days. When we have problems with Bentley we cook a piece of liver, cut it up and either mix it in his food or hand feed him. For him it has worked very well. Let us know how you make out.

jewele803
08-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Poor Tudi -- I think you need to mix the food for more than a few days (a week plus) to prevent this from happening. It's strange they would not tell you what they were feeding her. You might just want to start her w/ plain rice to see how she does and then add the chicken later.

iloveflipflops
08-13-2007, 10:38 AM
The owner also will not tell me the commands that she knows. I have emailed her a few times asking her and she totally avoids the question. Its very odd!!

iloveflipflops
08-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Ok ... so am I just boiling plain rice and feeding her that? No dog food nothing?

Swanie78
08-13-2007, 10:44 AM
We used just plain old Uncle Bens instant rice. You can make up a bunch and store it in the fridge and use it as needed.
I wouldnt start off feeding her JUST the rice...it will bloat her stomach and make her puke too...lol Mix half rice and half of the dog food the breeder was giving her. Do this a couple of meals and re-access her stools (doesnt that sound like a fun job? lol) If they continue to be runny and dont look like they are firming up at all, increase to 3/4 rice and 1/4 food and do that for a few meals. If that doesnt help, she'll need to be seen because its obviously not a food issue. If it does help, then gradually decrease the rice again, only mix part of old food with part of the new food, until you are at 1/2 rice and 1/2 new food. Once shes only that for a couple of days, gradually decrease the amount of rice until shes just at straight food.
Youll have to watch her stools this whole time though, you dont want to constipate her and have the opposite problem.

ellie
08-13-2007, 10:56 AM
I added some boiled chicken too but maybe just the rice for now would do the trick.
Our breeder gave us a bag of food too. What is the big deal about telling you. I would think she would want to make the transition as easy as possible for Tudi. I wonder if the vet she took them to would have any info. The vet's name should be listed on her papers.

hbpuppy
08-13-2007, 11:41 AM
Paris had an upset tummy last week and I gave him a pepto pill. It did the trick.

If you call the vet they will make a big deal out of it and will probably want to "run tests" and stuff. I just did some research on the internet and it pretty much says to put them on a bland diet for a while or decrease the amount of food for a couple feedings.