PDA

View Full Version : Colour wheels

inkinupstamps
11-17-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm curious how many people use a colour wheel when deciding how to put their cards together. I know that SU sells one.

This might sound like a really basic, what the heck kind of question. As if, "Jennifer, can't you tell what colours go well together?" But I don't really think so.

I'm seeing more and more cards using combinations and contrasts that are just stunning and not ordinary combos. And, because we are getting better at blending not only paints, but pencils and crayons and markers I think we are seeing more bold and brilliant colour combinations. For example, I LOVE TOMBOW Marker when they are used for watercolouring directly on the paper and with a paint brush.

So, if you are one who love lots of brights and bold or even pastels but blending with other colours, do you use a wheel to help with your choices? :confused: I'm seeing a lot of orange and purple being used with red and blue for brilliant combos.

kulakid
11-17-2006, 05:02 PM
but I find I get colour inspiration from all of the new and great PP that is out there!
Those wheels look like they could come in handy though!

Spartymom
11-17-2006, 05:10 PM
I found it is helpful, b/c I don't always know which colors go. I'm still a beginner and it's nice to see colors. Kim

Erin K
11-17-2006, 05:15 PM
I have the SU one and I love it, but don' think I"ve ever used it to make a card! I'm bad. I am gonna use it to do my bedroom over though!

I get ideas from the pattern paper and just sorta grab colors and see if they make me happy.

GrammaStamper
11-17-2006, 05:23 PM
I also have the SU colour wheel and have used it, but mostly when I do, it simply confirms that my colour choices were spot on. I like the reassurance that I'm not completely off the wall.

lost luggage
11-17-2006, 05:31 PM
I also have the SU colour wheel and have used it, but mostly when I do, it simply confirms that my colour choices were spot on. I like the reassurance that I'm not completely off the wall.

lol I on the other hand AM off the wall and do not use the wheel. :D

iloveflipflops
11-17-2006, 06:15 PM
You must get that color wheel from SU. I use mine ALL THE TIME!!!! I guess I am the only one to admit it but I just love it. Lots of colors that the wheel says go together, I would never think to put them together and then I get the wheel out and voila, what wonderful color combos!! So i do use mine for the majority of my cards. I have even went this far. For all the colored sheets of paper i have, I took my wheel and wrote down on a little sticky which colors go with which. It makes it easier :). I only have maybe 10 colors but this makes it easy. GET IT .... NOW!!!

shuggy
11-17-2006, 06:57 PM
i have thought about getting it, but i havent. i just kind of throw paper together and see if il looks good.

Far North
11-17-2006, 07:11 PM
On the original ink stains site there was a resource of a website for SU colors.
You could type in one or two color names and it would give a range of combinations with those colors. Does anyone still have that address??? I am afraid I lost it. I found the site to be very helpful...it helped me to think broader with the use of colors. And gives me new ideas for the colors where I have larger quantities of paper.

Sometimes I scan through the catalogue to just look at color combinations only. Jennifer weren't you the one who taught me to do that with the catalogue upside down so I'm not distracted with the specific layouts and images. That does work!

..Jan
PS. Jennifer, I have always thought you've had a good sense for colors.

Christie
11-17-2006, 07:24 PM
No color wheel for me. I'm pretty good and being able to see what colors go toghether. I have a few mishaps here and there but when that happens I just call them ecletic(sp?). LOL

GrammaStamper
11-17-2006, 07:25 PM
On the original ink stains site there was a resource of a website for SU colors.
You could type in one or two color names and it would give a range of combinations with those colors. Does anyone still have that address??? I am afraid I lost it. I found the site to be very helpful...it helped me to think broader with the use of colors. And gives me new ideas for the colors where I have larger quantities of paper.

Sometimes I scan through the catalogue to just look at color combinations only. Jennifer weren't you the one who taught me to do that with the catalogue upside down so I'm not distracted with the specific layouts and images. That does work!

..Jan

http://www.scraptitude.com/colorcombo/

You put in a colour and it shows all the colour combos to use.

cahinton
11-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Here is the site you are looking for http://www.scraptitude.com/colorcombo/

Carol

inkinupstamps
11-17-2006, 07:37 PM

..Jan

Awwwaw Jan! You make me blush! But seriously, no! While I LOVE colour and the bolder the better, I have a hard time with mixing the unusual combos. I really think I may invest in a colour wheel.

This afternoon I was in my RSS and I was looking at some GORGEOUS painted images and she and I were talking about the colours blended. The particular image was of a mitten. At first glance you'd say it was a red mitten, but actually the colours used were orange and yellow and a candy apple red all blended as though the sun were hitting it. My point is, is that I'm seeing ORANGE and Bright green and a lot of psychodelic (if you will) colours mixed to make the most wonderful combinations. I don't have the knack in my head but I sure do admire the outcome!