PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever heard of letterboxing??

workin4stamps
08-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Go to this website www.letterboxing.org and check it out.

One of my SU customers called me last night and was telling me about this website. It's like a treasure hunt, and you go find a tupperware box that has a journal in it, and you leave a stamp impression in the journal and sign it. I also think there's a stamp in the box that you can stamp into your own journal. I haven't had a lot of time to read all about it (and won't until I come back from MOA!), but I did search for boxes in my area and found MANY!

I think this looks like fun.

Just wondered if anyone had ever heard of this or done it???

Traci

emmcee
08-30-2007, 11:36 AM
This looks intriguing but there is much to read first. I've never heard of it, but it does look very interesting. Maybe over the weekend I'll get a chance to study up on it.

workin4stamps
08-30-2007, 11:49 AM
It looks a little confusing (so much information!) at first, but I really don't think there's much to it. You search for a box in your area, follow the clues and go find it....then you take out the stamp in the box and add it to your journal. You also take your own stamp and you stamp in that person's journal that you leave in the box. That's it!

I just think it would be a fun treasure hunt to do with kids or something.......

Traci

toao
08-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I've heard of something similar to this where people hide "treasure" and you have to get the general location of the box then search for it. You take a little treasure to leave in the box and swap it with what's already there and sign a book. You can hide your own as well.

Mary

ellie
08-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Yes! My familiy and I did it a couple of times and it's pretty cool. There are sites on the internet where you can visit and find out all about it and what is available in your area. It is a fun thing to do with the kids and my doggie loved it.

Erin K
08-30-2007, 12:30 PM
ohmyheck I soooo want to do it! Where are they? does the site tell me??? I have to stamp stuff in a book. I MUST.

In some Indio-Asian country (sorry I just forget where) these monks have these chop stamps and you can get them to stamp in a little book for you and they are all special ones only they have! I LOVE that idea, they should have that everywhere.

ctinyjoy
08-30-2007, 12:32 PM
I have 30 boxes near my home!! Who would have thought? I am busy printing out the clues...I know what I will be attempting this weekend.

workin4stamps
08-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Where are they? does the site tell me???

Yes! if you go to a site, there is a link to find locations (or something like that). I just put in my state and county, and a bunch came up. I also looked in counties around me, and there were lots!

Traci

MidwestStamper
08-30-2007, 01:04 PM
I saved this site! I think this would be fun to do with my DH--for safety reasons--some of the areas can be kind of remote. I found one listed at a place called Minnehaha Falls, which I was just at last night! I can almost picture where it is!

logcabincreations
08-30-2007, 01:06 PM
This is MOST interesting. I am going to go research.....see if any near me.

smkymtsu
08-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Some of you might remember "Giftsbyheidi" who hosts the dry embossing swaps on PCMB. She is very familiar with letterboxing. She has been doing this for awhile. I'm sure she would be happy to answer any questions that anyone has. I know there are some people who plan their vacations to go to places where they can letterbox.

Erin K
08-30-2007, 04:46 PM
there is a letterbox at one of the places we are visiting on our cruise! How cool to get an international one!

firefly
08-30-2007, 06:33 PM
yes Heidi on PCMB knows quite a bit about this. She is the one I first heard about this. Sounds like a great hobby!

My3Ds
08-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Family Fun magazine carried an article about this several years ago. It's a lot of fun. You would be surprised at how many are near you. I know that sometimes state parks will remove the boxes because they don't want people to destroy areas so the boxes may not always be there. We found a few a couple of years ago, but have not been lately. Try it, it's a lot of fun. I'd really like to try geo caching sometime. It's kind of the same thing, but you use a GPS to find locations. The Ashville NC area had one this past summer and had lots of cool prizes.

Caboverde1
08-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Ive heard of it... and I thought about it...im just toooooooo darn busy! Shoot...I never get to have fun!

TOnii

Victorianrose
08-30-2007, 10:39 PM
I can't wait to take my children on a "hunt". There are several in my area. Sounds like fun! Thanks for recommending this site.
Debbie

GSMom385
08-31-2007, 12:25 AM
It sounds almost like geocaching which we do with the kids ALOT!! Only instead of trading toys you are trading stamp images in the log. We have little ATC cards we always leave when we geocache now, kind of like killroy was here, only it is GSMom385 and the cache kids now. It is great exercise and fun. But be careful, there are some people who spoil the fun, and mess with the boxes, they call them muggles on the geo web site. We had our geo cache that the girls placed muggled and we had to replace it and find a new place. It was so sad. The girls were pretty upset when it happened, they lost their log and everything.

loobylou
08-31-2007, 06:22 AM
Hey, there is even one in Western Australia! who is coming to visit so they can get a stamp???
Sarah

Jailbirdstamper
09-02-2007, 04:28 PM
this is fascinating! I want to start a box!

mydogstinks2
09-03-2007, 06:06 AM
This is a great idea! I'm going to read about it!!

teabear
09-03-2007, 11:58 AM
I could walk to one of the locations from right here. What a fun hobby. It would be a great thing to do for family fun and to add in on traveling. Thanks for sharing this.

ctinyjoy
09-03-2007, 12:47 PM
My DH and I went out this morning and found our first box. We brought our dog Zoey who enjoyed the smells of the park we were in. I am waiting on my mom to arrive and we are heading to the lighthouse where two more are hidden. This really is fun!

Jailbirdstamper
09-03-2007, 04:59 PM
My DH and I went out this morning and found our first box. We brought our dog Zoey who enjoyed the smells of the park we were in. I am waiting on my mom to arrive and we are heading to the lighthouse where two more are hidden. This really is fun!

In my very best Napolean Dynamite voice: Lucky!

ctinyjoy
09-03-2007, 05:23 PM
We are back from the afternoon excursion. I found 2 out of 3:( When I logged on earlier to report my first find, I found another just down the road at a new children's park. Anyway, went to the lighthouse and discovered nature trails I didn't know existed. Found the first box with no real problem. Also encountered a large black snake:wideeyed:. Drove to the next box, where there was an entry fee to the park. I convinced the park ranger I was only staying a few minutes so he didn't charge me. Well, that box wasn't there. I don't know if maybe I was following another person and they had the box out so they could stamp it...The one I just left did also have today's date on it. I will check back to that one again in a few days. The last box was found after dodging many large banana spiders:wideeyed: Have I ever mentioned I don't like spiders and snakes??

All in all, a very fun day.

workin4stamps
09-03-2007, 05:43 PM
That's very cool Cheri!!!!

MidwestStamper
09-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I told my DH about this too and he's interested. I told him that we need more 'hobbies' to do outside of the house!