PDA

View Full Version : Tip if you are embossing challenged

GSMom385
09-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Ok here is a little tip I picked up in my Northwoods Halloween stamp class at MOA for those of us who are embossing challenged ( I certainly was before this). I always seem to get little specs all over whatever I want to emboss. I have tried the anti static thingie and the whole works, never could make it fly. We were all commenting on how perfect the embossing was on the images she stamped ahead for us in the class, she said thanks her daughter (12 years old) did it. I was so depressed at the point. She must have noticed the look on my face so she came over and asked me if she could help. I explained to her my issue, ( I didn't include that I was upset a 12 year old could make it looks 10x better than mine). She said you use colored embossing powder don't you. I was shocked because of course I did I thought that it what you did. She said use clear detail embossing powder and colored ink. Ok so I have to tell you just tried it and man it looks awesome!!! No specs just perfect embossed look. It is simply amazing and it looks like I used black on it. Just wanted to share.

IMBlessed5
09-15-2007, 02:52 PM
So what brand of black ink did you use that the embossing powder works with?

suzi_f
09-15-2007, 04:17 PM
When I first learned to emboss, the only powder the LSS had was clear. I didn't realize there was "another" way to do it until I discoverd the metallic embossing powders. I LOVE clear embossing poweder. You don't need a whole spectrum of colors!

GSMom385
09-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Vicki, I used my versamark fine black, but I just tried it with some of my CTMH colors and it works great with them too.

scrappinnuts
09-15-2007, 05:47 PM
wow TFS Cindy... I just tried it and what a difference...now what do I do with all of my distressing powders? LOL...I am sure I will find a use for them.

loobylou
09-15-2007, 08:43 PM
The only coloured EP's I have are the Ultra thick Embossing enamels. I use clear for everything else- oh except gold and silver. I havent found a gold or silver ink that embosses nicely with clear EP. I still use the embossing buddy type cloth on my page first with the metallic powders.
Thanks for sharing

teabear
09-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Fabulous tip! I'm so happy to know it works with versafine...I'm addicted to that ink :)

IMBlessed5
09-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Has anyone tried it with Palette Noir black ink? Or Memories. Those are the two blacks I have. I know Palette dries pretty quick, can't remember if Memories does or not.

Fief14
09-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Ok, this sounds very cool & interesting, however, I am unsure of the steps to make this work. I too have only use colored EP's in the past, matter of fact, I don't have clear! But, the little specs that show up from the colored stuff is enough to drive me to buy the clear! Please outline the steps on how this is done for me.
Thanks,

mjbonoan
09-16-2007, 02:08 AM
I'd like the steps also....

I'm super challenged... I don't think I've ever embossed anything!!

tesschap
09-16-2007, 06:59 AM
Great tip - thank you :)

scraphappy908
09-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the tip. I think I've spent a fortune trying to find the right embossing powders. I have every color you can imagine! Wow, the money I could have saved if only I knew this earlier!

GSMom385
09-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Ok, for the request on the steps here is what I did. Also if I can figure out the mpeg feature on my camera later I will try to tape a tutorial and send to Sherry for the site, but I am short on time now as we have a soccer game in a few.

Before you start: make sure your hands are very clean before starting, as any little ink smudge will pick up the powder. Dump your clear embossing powder into plastic sandwich container or a recycled margarine container, something that has a lid and is large enough to dip an image into. I then leave my powders in those containers so I don't have to constantly clean up powder.

1. select color of cardstock of choice, I used white.
2. ink stamp and stamp image in ink color of choice. I assume fast drying inks would not work too well, but so far I have tried it with versafine, CTMH, colorbox, and ancient page and it works well with all of those. CTMH is not really a slow drying ink and I honestly didn't have any trouble with it either.
3. While image is wet slide under powder in container and shake it across the image, then tap off on edge of container lightly so extra powder falls back into the container.
4. Use heat embossing gun from the bottom side of the image. The image will look washed out while the powder is not melted and it will come to full color as it melts and sets.
5. Even if you get little specs of powder other places they are clear so they just show your cardstock color and you can't see them. You can run your hand over the image and feel them but they don't show up to see.

That is it.

hbpuppy
09-16-2007, 12:28 PM
I love all your tips Cindy. Thanks for sharing.

mjbonoan
09-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the details!!! I will try it out ASAP!

Fief14
09-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the details, I'll try this sometime this week.

stampinmom3
09-18-2007, 06:30 AM
Cool, I can't wait to try this. I have clear powder, but never knew why I bought it. LOL