PDA

View Full Version : Ham and Cheese Potato Soup

dreis1
10-17-2007, 12:36 AM
The weather is getting colder and so thought I would share my favorite soup recipe. This makes alot of Soup, so if your family is smaller, you could cut the recipe in half. Hope you enjoy this. Glinda

Ham & Cheese Potato Soup
--------------------------
10 potatoes
1 med onion if desired
1 lb of dices Ham
2 lbs Velveta- diced
2-3 lbs shredded Cheddar Cheese
12 American Cheese Slices
½ cup flour
1 cup tap water
Salt & pepper to taste. Watch the
Salt as the ham will add salt.
---------------------------------

Cook potatoes, onion and ham until tender
You will want enough water about twice the amount
As you have ham and potatoes. The more water you
Have, the more cheesee broth Turn heat on medium.
Add diced velveta then shredded cheddar and American
Cheese. Stir until Cheese is melted. Stir the flour and water
until all lumps Are dissolved, pour into soup mixture, stir until thick.
Enjoy. This will make 6-8 servings
<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

teabear
10-17-2007, 12:53 AM
It sounds too yummy! It's definitely soup weather here.

scrappinnuts
10-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Sounds Yummy... I will be trying this one.

Canadian, eh
10-17-2007, 06:16 AM
Oh my gosh that sounds delicious!

tesschap
10-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Yes - it does sound yummy. TFS

buggainok
10-17-2007, 12:02 PM
That sounds very good.

But is it really 2 lbs of Velveeta and 3 lbs of cheddar? 5 pounds of cheese sounds like an awfully lot of cheese.

TiikkiStars
10-17-2007, 12:16 PM
That's more than five pounds of cheese.....there's also 12 slices of American cheese. Ham, potatoes, and cheese..............always sounds yummy, but I don't think my backside can afford that much cheese! Thank you for sharing the recipe though. You got me thinking of warm cozy comfort soups that I need to start bugging DH to make. He makes the Best scratch soups!!!! Our latest favorite is celery, onion, carrot, with a tablespoon of olive oil in a pot big enough for the whole soup, then chicken stock, later broccoli, garlic, and zucchini, and some salt...........sits on the stove, use a hand blender to puree in the pot and oh soooooo yummy and totally guilt free!!!!!!! He also makes a really good turkey, brown rice, and veggie. His favorite to make though is chicken, noodles, and veggies. I like it 'cause he makes a huge pot on the weekend, we have it for dinner and then I have soup all ready in the fridge for lunch every day the next week!!! Yum!
Anymore warm cozy meals??
:> Karen

dreis1
10-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Yes, it is really that much cheese. This makes enough for my family of 9 to eat all they want and then some. That is 2 adult men, 4 adult women, and 3 children. I like the taste of the cheese to come thru loud and clear. Try it I guarantee you will like it. Glinda

tesschap
10-17-2007, 12:59 PM
It may clog our arteries but I am going to try this one for dinner for tomorrow night. How long does it take to cook?

dreis1
10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
By the time your potatoes, (ham has been added in from the start) are done, about 25 mins, I start with added the cheeses, then I mix the flour and water and add that last. Probably 40-45 mins start to finish. Let me know how you like it. This is my own recipe. Glinda

tesschap
10-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks - I will let you know how the family likes it.

ChristyR
10-17-2007, 02:04 PM
sounds soo yummy thanks for sharing :) i have to try this

stampcrazyjulie
10-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Is this something that would work in the Crockpot or does it make too much?

dreis1
10-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I have never tried it in the Crockpot. I can't see how it would work in the Crockpot. Glinda

Firecracker
10-18-2007, 12:07 AM
This sounds very yummy! I'm definitely going to make this for the family. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Heather