PDA

View Full Version : Prismacolor markers vs copic

kimmyqtgirl
10-22-2007, 06:41 AM
I am thinking of taking the plunge into markers. So if you have either (or both) types will you share what your likes and dislikes are with them. I know they are pretty pricey so I have been doing some research before I make my decision. Then I thought who better to ask them my fellow shackies!
Thanks in advance for helping make my decision.;)

spredbirds
10-22-2007, 07:41 AM
I like my prismacolor markers. I heard that the copics are refillable which the prismas are not but none of mine have dried up.

Hope that helps.

threefriends91
10-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Great question, l was wondering this myself as l have some newstamps and was not sure what would best so thanks Chelsea

kimmyqtgirl
10-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Well so far one vote for prismacolors. I do love thier pencils. Thanks for sharing Chelsea

hutchink
10-22-2007, 10:10 AM
I have prismacolor markers too and I love mine....they are great to blend with the pencils! I have not used the other onces though!

stampcrazyjulie
10-22-2007, 10:39 AM
I have seen the Prisma Markers for sale at quite a few places, but never the Copic's. I guess I am wondering the same thing as you at this point! :)

Erin K
10-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I have both and use them interchangeably. If you get the copic try to find the ciao because they are perfect for our stuff but cheaper. the sketch cost more but can be hooked up to some fancy air brush thing... I mean if you wanna go for broke, I'll not try to stop you.

this is a set that is cool: http://www.allthatscraps.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=388_456_457&products_id=3579 if you wanna just get them all at once. I mean this isn't ALL of them, that's over $500, but this is the ones that match the SU colors, so if you use SU papers and stuff this would be cool, also SU has nice colors, so you'd have a great selection.

Ok, on to what I like:
Prismacolor is not refillable, but cheaper, Copic is refillable the refills are not terribly expensive, when you factor in that the one refill will fill the pen several times. You can also get replacement nubs if you wear them down, but they seem to hold up really well.

For me the hard part is this:

Prismacolor has a huge chisle tip and a small bullett tip. I love the bullett, never use the huge chisle. (it's pretty big)
Copic has a much smaller chisle tip (which I still never use) and a brush tip.

So what kind of tip do you love the most?

I find working with them I like the copic more, you can use just the tip of the brush tip to get in little areas or make bigger strokes.

I wish either had brush and bullett becaus I'd pay twice as much for that.

Quality of the actual ink I think is really close, I can't really tell a difference and I can blend my copics over my prismacolors or vice versa.

And the Prismacolor eggshell and the copic pinkish White are my favorites for skin color. Prismacolor goldenrod is a great blondish hair color. :)

directmailscrapper
10-22-2007, 01:07 PM
I picked out individual colors of each -- so I have about 25 Prisma markers and about 12 Copics. I have the Sketch Copics because the store didn't carry the other ones. I love the brush tip on the Copics -- and like Erin -- would never use the bigger end of either one. I have a skin tone Copic that I really like -- I'm at work and don't know the name of the color.

Prisma -- you can buy them at Michaels or ACM and use coupons -- usually run about $2.50 each on sale. Copics -- run me about $5+ and I can't buy them at the box stores.

You don't want to stamp with Versafine ink with either one -- the markers will smear the ink. Stazon works fine.

I found that the Prisma pencils in the package had a LOT of neutrals -- more than I would ever use (even though I bought the big set!). Check the colors in the kits to see how many you would actually use -- and consider buying the colors you actually want.

Let us know what you decide!

Nancy

Erin K
10-22-2007, 04:09 PM
yea be careful with the prismacolor kits, some have a butt-ton of greys, I mean you need at least two greys maybe three, but seriously there are TONS, they come in all the colors the pencils come in.

kimmyqtgirl
10-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks girls. I have the larger set of prisma pencils and I was amazed by all the grey! warm grey, cool grey, french grey and like 4 variations of each! Who uses that much grey anyways. So I know I don't want that many grey markers!!

I am saving up some money now, maybe I will try one of each to start and see if I can decide from that. I am glad to find out the coverage is the same and no streaks.
Hmmm.... this is going to be a tough decision.

Thanks again

Becky P
10-23-2007, 10:04 AM
I have just 2 of the Copics...the skin tone colors. I LOVE them but I will say just one thing....they do bleed through the paper. The skintone is FABULOUS though! So maybe go and buy ONE of them. *S* Try it out.

My experience is that they blend like butter.

My experience with both of the Prismas AND the Copics is that you really gotta be doing some serious damage to them to need the replacement tips or the refills. They last for forever!!!!

Hobby Lobby sells the open stock of COPICs...its back in the artist stuff...like sketchbooks and canvases. Maybe get one and try it out? $6 a marker is rough...but if you really love it -- is it not worth it?

Jovi
10-23-2007, 11:05 AM
I was on the verge on buying Copic markers until I saw this (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291443) thread over at SCS. I'm so glad I didn't jump on the wagon.

Julie was able to achieve the same shading results of Copics using her SU Markers and she saved herself $600!

Here's her blog tutorial:
No Copics?? NO PROBLEM (http://paperpleasing.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/10/no-copics-no-pr.html)

I'm going to try this with my CTMH markers, since my SU markers are almost dried up.

;)

TiikkiStars
10-23-2007, 11:33 AM
I have a few prismacolor markers. I'm not very good with them yet though!!! But, I figure if I'm learning, I don't want to spend over $5 a marker to learn and decide if they are for me, so for that reason, that's my vote.

As for the greys...... I'm not sure that I'd want a million grey MARKERS. But, I have the 120 count prismacolor PENCILS and I have to say, I LOVE that there are so many grey options. I use all three grey color groups and all the different saturations of them often. They have been great for shading a bucket, coloring a stone walkway, etc. But, again, not sure about the markers and the need for grey.

Also, Kim mentioned that you can blend the markers with the pencils, so if you already have all those greys in the pencils, then you wouldn't need them in the markers.

Oh goodness, I think I'm talking myself into buying more markers the next time they are on sale at Michael's. Sigh.

:> Karen

Jovi
10-31-2007, 12:34 AM
For some strange reason I thought I was going to escape the Copic marker craze... was I wrong! I finally decided to give in after seeing all the wonderful Whipper Snapper cards that Jeanne has been posting on her blog.

Ugh she's been coloring them with Copics.
Check them out here: Inky Paws (http://inkypaws.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/)

Now I have to do some searching for great prices! :wideeyed:

kimmyqtgirl
10-31-2007, 09:10 AM
Well I am glad I am not the only one having a hard time with this marker talk. I still have no idea what I am going to do. I think buying one of each may be my best bet.

Erin K
10-31-2007, 09:16 AM
OH Kimmy!!! in my town Jodie (a sometimes visitor on this board) does classes with the copics! Come visit here and we can take one together! My treat (the class, not your travel expenses)

kimmyqtgirl
10-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Erin that is so sweet of you. And in a few months Florida would be a super treat - I'm not a huge fan of the cold up here. Maybe I should ask Santa for a trip for Christmas!

patg
10-31-2007, 12:17 PM
I personally, can't imagine spending $8+ (cnd) per pen on the copic markers. I love my SU pens. But if you don't want to have the look of lines with your colouring, just take your blender pen and blend out the colours. The look is just the same and works just as well.

Pat