PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Lights Question

suzi_f
11-11-2007, 03:56 PM
When you get out last year's lights, do you "try" to fix the sets that don't work or just toss them. I've spent several hours trying to get sets from last year to work & they just WON'T!!! I feel I've wasted all that time (still don't have my C'mas cards planned) and ended up w/the same result. But, I feel I HAVE to try. What do y'all do?

maxiesmom
11-11-2007, 04:02 PM
I played this game last year, we had so many that didn't work! I pitched several strands and saved bunches of bulbs and now I am planning on buying a few new sets, possibly this week! I also feel like I wasted a whole lot of time. Am planning on starting this coming weekend while Target still has them on sale.
Plus the new LED ones are more energy efficient so you will be saving yourself money in the long run!

Nadine
11-11-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm switching to the LEDs this year too and have a plan for storing them neatly so I don't have the untangling problem next year. With the regular mini lights though I would toss them rather than fiddle around with them.

Spartymom
11-11-2007, 04:11 PM
I pitch the ones that do not work. They are cheap enough to buy new ones.

Christie
11-11-2007, 04:20 PM
I toss the ones that don't work.

tesschap
11-11-2007, 05:26 PM
I toss the ones that don't work too.

iloveflipflops
11-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Toss Them Out!!! Buy New!

kerry
11-11-2007, 05:43 PM
I wrap them using cardboard to keep them fresh. I light them up and usually I can find the one light that is burned out. I hate to throw anything out so I find the ONE bulb that is out and replace it. I always wrap my tree lights on my tree when the lights are on, that helps too.

Kerry

mjbonoan
11-11-2007, 06:00 PM
I fixed some and tossed some. However, this year I'm too busy to mess with them, I'll be buying new ones entirely!

irishchristine
11-11-2007, 06:03 PM
I toss them!

ellie
11-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Toss 'em. They are so cheap, I don't think it's worth it to have to wiggle and jiggle them.

suzi_f
11-12-2007, 06:41 AM
I don't mind replacing one or two burned out bulbs. But when the whold dang set won't light, I feel compelled to try to find out why. I ended up throwing out like 7 sets yesterday. AFTER I spent so much time trying to fix them. Some of them were new sets I KNOW I bought just last year. They worked when I put them away, what happened to them over the winter??? Off to Target I go today. Next year, I'm just gonna toss anyone one that doesn't work!!! It'll save me headaches & time in the long run.

stampinmom3
11-12-2007, 07:31 AM
My dh is patient and tries to fix them. I will fool with them for a few minutes and then they get tossed.

emmcee
11-12-2007, 07:43 AM
Depends on what kind of mood I'm in, If I'm feeling overly Scroogish and analytical I'll try for a while to find the problem. But most of the time here lately, I just toss them. The Scroogish analytical mood usually just lasts not very long LOL>

threefriends91
11-12-2007, 09:22 AM
l hated this job each year so this was the way l did it, l would tell my hb and father-in law it was their job and they bought it LOL. but this year we will not be at the farm so my hb only has to do the tree here, but next year when we are in our new home it will once again be his job. Please don't tell him you do the lights or he may try and put this on me. Ha Ha!!

Robinkay
11-12-2007, 09:25 AM
I usually buy more. The lights I have outside are usually chewed on my cats and whatever. So I change those at least once a year. I mean you don't wanna take the chance of them starting a fire. So better to be safe.

BeckyButtshaw
11-12-2007, 04:41 PM
I usually buy new ones the day or so after Christmas, then when I go to plug them in the next year and they don't work, I don't think twice about tossing them because I have new sets (that were cheap) ready to go! ;)

loobylou
11-13-2007, 02:57 AM
Here's a shock
I don't have any Christmas lights at all- not on my tree, not on my house, nowhere! So I don't have this problem. The place where I put my tree up has no nearby power points, so i have never used them.

GSMom385
11-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Toss them, my friend's DH is a fireman he would totally tell you to pitch them and buy new each year.