PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment Pay???

tojoco
11-22-2007, 10:35 PM
I just found out that you can apply for unemployment pay online. You can even "check-in" each week online. I feared having to go to downtown Memphis to apply so I decided not to but to just look for another job. Well I'm going to give it a try since I was laid-off for lack of work. I may not have contributed enough to unemployment at this job but I sure gave enough at Yankee Candle and before that at the county school system. Every little bit helps so maybe I won't have to get another job until I get called back to Fundcraft. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Vintagegal
11-22-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't know about the laws in TN regarding unemployment, but in Nebraska, you had to have made at least $1,600 in the last five consecutive quarters to qualify for unemployment insurance. If TN is like NE, I'm sure you've earned at least that much in the last job you had, with or without Yankee Candle. I'm glad you're able to apply online. That sure does help. Like you said, every little bit will help. When do you think Fundcraft will cal you back? If you find another job before then, will you just give up on going back to Fundcraft?

tojoco
11-22-2007, 11:54 PM
I don't think I'll be called back before February. As far as going back there, it would depend upon if and what kind of other job I would find. If it's a similar job with more pay, I think I would stay at the new job.

suzi_f
11-23-2007, 07:22 AM
I learned last year that you can apply online. School let out on a Thur and they would not let me apply in person (I tried!) 'cause I'd worked too much that week. We were leaving for CA on Saturday so I would not be able to apply on person on Monday. Applying online was a lifesaver!! In IL (at least as far as I know), you call in every 2 weeks so I've never had to do any check-ins in person. I think, if you're off for a longer time, you may have to go back into the office.

JBgreendawn
11-23-2007, 02:48 PM
In Oregon you would have had to have worked at the job for at least 90 days before you could apply...
( i have this one man that worked for us 5 days, yes you read that right 5 whole days last spring) and i have filled out the denial forms (for our co) 3 times now. two weeks ago i get a letter saying his claim is denied then the very next day i get a whole new form to fill out that he's trying again...

(oh i should add he voluntary quit and if you quit a job here your are automatically denied unemployment benifits...)

tojoco
11-23-2007, 03:51 PM
I didn't work very long at Fundcraft but don't they go back to your other jobs before that. I know I contributed a lot to unemployment when I worked for the school system for 11 years. Wouldn't I be able to collect from that?

Vintagegal
11-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I think what they do (they do this in California and Nebraska. I don't know about Tennessee) is they go back only to the last four or five consecutive quarters that you worked. It doesn't go back that far. So, the pay that you received only in the last four or five consecutive quarters will determine how much unemployment insurance you'll receive. Like I said, it could be different for your State; but that's the case in CA and NE.

tojoco
11-23-2007, 06:14 PM
If that's the case, I guess I won't be entitled to anything since I hadn't worked in 4 consecutive quarters recently. I just started at Fundcraft in late August and I left Yankee Candle in December 2006. Oh well, I guess I'll have to tough it out. Thanks for the information.

Vintagegal
11-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Joanne, Don't give it up. What I meant about four - five quarters, is they'll look at those quarters and base your unemployment insurance on the quarter that you earned the most money in within that period of time. You wouldn't have to have worked for all of the four-five quarters. If you earned at least $1,600 in that quarter (here in Nebraska, anyway), you're entitled to unemployment insurance. That's like earning at least $533.33 per month, in that particular quarter. I would still apply, even if you just worked for two months in the last five quarters. I know you were working full time at Fundcraft, right? I'm confident that you would qualify.

threefriends91
11-24-2007, 02:46 AM
Joanne, l will keep praying for you and that you can get paid until your called back. Hugs to you.