PDA

View Full Version : Ms. Tudi is in the dog house ... and I mean literally!!!

iloveflipflops
11-30-2007, 11:29 AM
She keeps waking me up at 4 am!! I about to shoot her!! I take her out, she goes #1. I put her back in the her crate. Then Ladybug has to go out. Then the guinea pig starts squeeling as he wants parsley. 4:30 she starts up again. I take her out again, she has to go #2. I put her back in her crate till 5:30. I feed the dogs (and the guinea pig) when i get up at 5:30 when I get Emily up for school.

But this 4 am feeding is ridiculous. Any suggestions?

DH is ready to take her to the pound and I say no way!!!

Sherry
11-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Dogs are super, super smart. Perhaps she is wanting to feed at 4am because you are giving it to her :) Try NOT feeding her - let her whine and cry and throw a fit. It may hurt your feelings but it won't harm her at all. After a few nights, she should stop the whining because she'll get to know that no 4am snack is coming. Dogs should be able to stay crated from night til morning without having to get up in the middle of the night. I don't know how you are doing it, Sherri! I'd be exhausted!

iloveflipflops
11-30-2007, 11:41 AM
I have been going back to bed after the kids go to school and sleeping till 10. HA

mydogstinks2
11-30-2007, 11:42 AM
you get to sleep in another hour than me! LOL That all starts at 3 here. My upside to it is that DH gets home at 3:30ish so he gets to deal with them most of the time.

Here is what I have been trying:

I make sure they eat and go out just before we go to bed. then we go inside and play hard for about 15 minutes. Then we go back out for a second time.

Once fred is in bed he dosen't get up.

Doodle is small enough that I just make her stay layed down.

Little Bit is my problem. If I leave the bedroom door open she will go up and down the steps all night long. Then she jumps on the bed and throws toys at me. If I close the bedroom door she will stay in bed most of the night but then she "bounces" on me all night. I tried the kennel but that did not work she howled all night.

anyhow.. try going out then playing really hard for about 15 minutes then going out again.

Sherry
11-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Sherri,

I just read through my papers from my dog trainer and it says that you should give the last feeding and watering before 8pm - nothing after 8. Then, take the doggies out just before bed, crate them immediately when you bring them in, and then they shouldn't need to go out until morning.

teabear
11-30-2007, 12:05 PM
We always take the dogs out really late, just before bed. That seems to help. So sorry you have this 4am stuff going on.

hbpuppy
11-30-2007, 12:51 PM
I am super strict with my dog feeding schedule. I feed them at exactly 8 am and 4 pm. They know that it doesn't matter how much they bug me, I won't feed them early. And, believe me, dogs tell time. Like Tami, I let my dogs out right before I go to bed to pee. My dogs pretty much poop pretty soon after eating so that works out for me too. The only problems we have is when the time changes. My dogs tell me for an hour that it's time to eat. And, they wake up an hour early too.

workin4stamps
11-30-2007, 02:52 PM
I hear you Sherri! Colby does this to us sometimes too. He sleeps in our room with us, so usually around 4 or 5 he starts walking around (and we have hardwood floors in our room so of course we can HEAR him). We usually tell him to lay back down, and most of the time he does. Sometimes I have to threaten him "Go lay down or you're going to your CAGE!!!" Most of the time he will.... but 2 different days this week he had me up at 4:30 letting him outside.

One thing, he is trained to go "potty" which is #1, and "poopy" which is #2 (obviously!). If I get up this early to let him out, I MAKE him do both. I will not let him back in the door until he does. He knows the words, so it's pretty easy for me to use them. Then usually we just go back to bed.

It's rough though, because at 6 or 6:30, he's bugging me again, ready to eat. Most of the time we're up by then, but sometimes (like weekends!) it would be nice to sleep later.

I think I liked Heather's advice, and we just need to start feeding him later. We always feed him before we shower. Maybe we need to make him wait until after we shower. Then he won't associate us getting out of bed with being FED!

Good Luck!!! Next time he wakes me up at 4:30, I'll call ya!!!

Traci

Nancy
11-30-2007, 04:35 PM
My little dog is a Yorkie and every morning at 5, she starts barking because she hears things outside. usually I let her out and go lay on the couch. I have not slept until 7 am for years. When I had to get up to go to work, I was always so tired, now I dont have leave the house and I am up earlier than then. Our dog is 14 years old and they are some days her life is in danger, but I will not replace her if something happens. - Nancy