PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Cookie Exchange

BeckyButtshaw
11-29-2006, 06:50 PM
so, are any of you having one or attending one? I'm thinking of hosting my first one this year (I've wanted to in the past and never got around to it). Any tips?

lost luggage
11-29-2006, 07:08 PM
This is something I would love to host/enter....but my neighbors and friends are duds. (I am sure my friends appreciate that..lol but you get my drift- they don't bake.)

Christie
11-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Never heard of this before. Sounds like fun! This sounds like a night you might put on a few pounds!!:wub: I think it sounds like a great idea!

mydogstinks2
11-29-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm hosting something like that this year. We are inviting over a bunch of family and friends. I'm asking them to all bring their favorite holiday cookies or dessert. I've made up a bunch of Sherri's Hot Chocolate mix to serve too.

maxiesmom
11-29-2006, 08:35 PM
you know and know they would make good stuff. My brother works (one of his jobs) is for a large arena and they were doing one and he wanted to participate. He and mom made some really nice stuff and they were both super disappointed with what they got back.
So that's the only advise I have as far as that.

iloveflipflops
11-29-2006, 08:39 PM
I have only been to one and I had the best time. Came home with so many different cookies, it was wonderful. I have thought about hosting one of my own but never have. Let us know how it goes!! It sounds fun!

jdpisces
11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
I go back and forth about doing this every year. With all that has happened this year, I decided against it. But if you do one, let me know how it goes! I've found a bunch of info about it by searching online....so I know they can be a great time!

Julie

My3Ds
11-29-2006, 09:22 PM
I have both attended and hosted a cookie exchange. The one I went to was more of a social gathering (we only took home 1 dozen cookies). I tried to make mine so that everyone went home with a lot of cookies. You can ask that everyone bring at least 2 doz. cookies for EACH recipient. Remind them to bring containers to take home their loot. On the invitations for the one I hosted, I asked everyone to bring copies of the recipes and to not make sugar cookies or chocolate chip cookies. We played a game or two (I think it was something like pictionary, but I chose holiday/winter themes as the topic. Good luck.

lost luggage
11-29-2006, 10:01 PM
I'd love to do this as a typ eof "dessert open house".

BeckyButtshaw
11-29-2006, 10:24 PM
I'd love to do this as a typ eof "dessert open house".

I did a dessert potluck with my neighbors last summer-super fun! Maybe I'll do that again

teabear
11-29-2006, 10:44 PM
I go to one every year with the same group more or less. This year 3 people are hosting-- one is cooking lunch, one is having it at her house and the other is doing the contests. We each bring 4 dozen cookies and this year we are also bringing 4" x 6" recipe cards for the cookies we made. We have lunch and have a tasting/voting for the best tasting cookie. There are prizes for the best looking cookie and the best presentation. It's all in fun, but there is always a great variety of cookies to bring home. This year I'm making eggnog cookies.

Today I got an invitation to another cookie exchange for 5 dozen cookies. So, If I go to both I will have 108 cookies for the holidays. My son did the math...and for those of us who do swaps, we know I will also have to make 108 cookies! My guys are rooting for both cookie exchanges. The second exchange is in the afternoon on a Sunday and also asks each person to bring an appetizer to share in addition to the 5 dozen cookies and recipes..... whew! That's all I know about that :smile:

Spartymom
11-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Today at MOPS, I was invited to the cookie swap at our next meeting. 5 dozen. Then I got invited to a neighbors swap. They are both on the same day too. Well I do have to say no to one of them. I"m thinking the neighbors. Only because hers is at night. Kim

lost luggage
11-30-2006, 02:59 PM
I go to one every year with the same group more or less. This year 3 people are hosting-- one is cooking lunch, one is having it at her house and the other is doing the contests. We each bring 4 dozen cookies and this year we are also bringing 4" x 6" recipe cards for the cookies we made. We have lunch and have a tasting/voting for the best tasting cookie. There are prizes for the best looking cookie and the best presentation. It's all in fun, but there is always a great variety of cookies to bring home. This year I'm making eggnog cookies.

Today I got an invitation to another cookie exchange for 5 dozen cookies. So, If I go to both I will have 108 cookies for the holidays. My son did the math...and for those of us who do swaps, we know I will also have to make 108 cookies! My guys are rooting for both cookie exchanges. The second exchange is in the afternoon on a Sunday and also asks each person to bring an appetizer to share in addition to the 5 dozen cookies and recipes..... whew! That's all I know about that :smile:

Shoot- we do the same contest thing with beer. lol I guess that's a whole different party all together!

Inkyhands
11-30-2006, 03:50 PM
I was thinking about inviting the same group of girls over to do an exchange. We aren't doing our hostess club till January but I thought the cookie exchange could be fun and we could still stamp and hang out.
Not totally sure yet.

StampinShera
11-30-2006, 07:39 PM
This year since the moral is low in the office we decided to make 1 cookie for each person in the office and then a 1/2 dozen for those who are baking. We decided yesterday that would be 11 dozen cookies :cute:

Am I crazy?

Nancy
11-30-2006, 09:35 PM
making 4 dozen each or more, you have them tell you what they are making, so there are no duplicates. Set a space for each person to put down their dish of cookies. They have to have an empty container also to take home cookies. Have each person go around the table and pick 2 or 3 cookies, this is so no one hogs an entire plate, they just keep going around. I found this works out much better in the long run. They could each bring 1 dozen cookies for socializing. Havent done a cookie exchange in a long time but when you have all these extra cookies you didnt have to bake and put the time out for, it really helps.- Nancy A

iupindiana
11-30-2006, 11:12 PM
Our craft group does a cookie exchange and we all select the type cookie we will be sharing so there aren't duplicated and bring container to collect the cookies sometimes candy. You are not allowed to bake chocolate chip cookies, they must be a special type cookies. :wub: We then exchange a craft that we have made and it can be taken from one another until the last person opens the remaining gift. It is loads of fun and the presents are outstanding. Since my family is small I then have plenty of cookies for the holidays.:mask:

Cricutgirl
12-02-2006, 12:47 AM
I'm hosting a cookie exchange on Sunday. I've asked everyone to bring six dozen cookies. Luckily, we're six participating, so we'll each leave with what we came with. I'm having prizes for most festively dressed, best cookie presentation, and a couple of games. I'm also having an ornament exchange. I'm having it at 1 pm, so it'll be a late brunch.