PDA

View Full Version : Possible Website Changes - Need Your Vote

Sherry
01-10-2008, 08:13 AM
As many of you know, I have never liked having a membership fee for the website. And, since membership fee renewals are just about ready to roll around, I'm beginning to feel the pangs of guilt again.

As always, before any changes are made, I'd like to hear your opinions on the subject. Please keep in mind that IF we do go ahead and get rid of the membership fee, a few things will change.

1. We will have to move back to a shared server. This means that the website will definitely be much slower than what we are accustomed to now. The gallery will most definitely take longer to load and we may also experience time out periods - depending on what type of server we're placed on and how many other websites are on the server.

2. We would probably need to get rid of server intensive applications such as the chatroom and the arcade and whatever else the web host would deem as a resource hog.

3. Information that we currently keep private for 'Shack Plus Members' (ie. Swap addresses and such) would no longer be as private. They would be accessible to anyone who registers on the website. We could, however, start a hierarchy system where you have to have so many posts before you can view/be placed on the member list.

4. The swap board and 'for sale' boards will be available to anyone who registers for an account. While I can still ban individuals who do not comply with the swap/selling guidelines, we do lose some of the safety net that we currently have established.

5. Due to bandwidth restrictions, we may have to put a limit on the number of photos a member can upload to the gallery per day.

6. The templates would most likely have to go as well. While they don't take very much space on the server, the bandwidth to download them is considerable. When you move to a shared server, they put a cap on your bandwidth consumption.

Good golly, after writing out that list, it doesn't seem like such a good idea to even consider moving back to a shared server, does it?! Perhaps asking for $10 a year isn't as bad as it sounds to me. Perhaps I just tend to over think things way too much and am just interfering with a system that is already working great for us....:goofy:

But it's not what I think that matters. The question is WHAT DO YOU THINK? Your opinions and concerns mean a great deal to me and to the other staff members.

And, as always, majority rules so if you have an opinion, speak up! :)

PS. This is a public poll. Results will be publicly displayed for everyone to see.

Spartymom
01-10-2008, 08:18 AM
I like how we have a secure site for members only and how it's fast and reliable. The $10. membership is worth it to protect us from others wanting personal info. as well as keeping the website a great one.

loobylou
01-10-2008, 08:27 AM
I love the chat room, as you all know. I'd be really sad to see that go
I like the security we have now
I like having the templates
I love the Shack just the way it is- and I am willing to pay the small price of having all the fun stuff.

GrammaStamper
01-10-2008, 08:35 AM
I don't have a problem spending $10 on my craft. It is a small price to pay for the enjoyment, security and freedom we have to do pretty much what we want to do. The templates alone are worth way more than $10, so, I'm in for another year and more.

workin4stamps
01-10-2008, 08:39 AM
I would much rather pay the $10. Don't mind at all!

:-)
Traci

mahodgman
01-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Charge me $10, charge me $20 but please don't put us on a slow server where trolls can come and annoy us! I really don't mind spending $10, and I think it is a very reasonable fee.

Christie
01-10-2008, 09:10 AM
I think we should keep the fee. It's only $10 and I think for what we get it's worth it!!! I'd hate to see the chat room go and I'd also not like not being to upload pictures. JMO.

ccstampin12
01-10-2008, 09:21 AM
PLEASE do NOT change a thing!:191:
I love the way things are just as they are now...unless something else awesome gets added at some time in the future.:163:
I will GLADLY pay my $10. when my membership is due...
When I think of how much I spend in a year on this craft, I won't even blink an eye over the $10!
:worried:
There!!! That's how I feel!
Joanie

MidwestStamper
01-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Well, when you list all the benefits of membership, of course I'll pay! I belong to several websites, and it really is nice here with the security of the info! Thanks for a great site, Sherry!

Swanie78
01-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I agree that we should leave things the way they are.
$10 a year is almost nothing!! I can go without two peppermint white hot chocolates to pay that ;)
I especially like the fact that we dont get bots here, to me thats worth the $10 right there.
The swap thing is another plus, not that we dont enjoy our new members, but it shows a dedication to the craft if they pay to be able to do them. And we get to know them better :)

toao
01-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm still with ya all the way Sherry! Will we get a notice when our membership is due again?

Mary

Nancy
01-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I don't mind the $10 to have the privacy we have here and the knowing that our swaps are not lost. It's having a private club, which there are so few of now a days. Yet we do not deny membership to anyone. I say Keep things the way they are. Also, no advertising pop ups and that is such a pleasure. - Nancy

flyingflower
01-10-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm loving our shack! Less than $1 per month to have all sorts of features and chat capability and unlimited photos and... ?! What is not to love?! Keep it going on our own server!

Thank you for all you do for us!!!!

jazzypurple853
01-10-2008, 09:58 AM
I love how things are.

cydstamps
01-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I agree leave it the way it is. It is great to help contribute for all that you do for us.!

logcabincreations
01-10-2008, 10:19 AM
I love love love this website just the way it is......did I mention I love it? Please don't change it and please please don't feel guilty about charging a fee.....it is worth every penny and more!!!!

Darleneh710
01-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I agree that we should leave things the way they are. I think it is a small price to pay for this wonderful website. Thanks for asking:)

IMBlessed5
01-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Heck, I'll bet most of us don't even miss that $10 when it takes care of the whole year!

I for one have so many things that I do on my computer - so I think if the gallery was slow to upload I wouldn't take the time to wait on it and browse. I need to get on to other things so I'm not on here all day.

Like everyone else, I love the security and privacy here too. Now granted, if someone wants addresses bad enough - they're going to pay $10 or meet the minimum posts requirements or whatever. But chances are slim anyone would go through that much trouble when they could easily to so many other unsecure sites.

kimmyqtgirl
01-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Sherry don't fret about the membership it's not even $1 a month! Look at how wonderful this site is right now, it would stink to have to go back and change everything again. I say keep the fee! I also agree with the membership you get more active members and I don't think I have seen any flaking on here :) JMO

mom_on_line
01-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Leave it as it is.

It looks like everyone that's voted so far feel the same way, too! Even though I'm not here as often as I like, it is a safe place to be and I like it just like that. Course, the people here are certainly a big plus!

tojoco
01-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Please please please leave it as it is. $10 is pocket change compared to what we spend on stamps and supplies. I surely don't want a slow website or non-members honing in on "our" territory.

cindi
01-10-2008, 11:06 AM
I think 10.00 a year is very little for all that we enjoy here! and as I can see from this this post all my shackie sistahs feel the same!! Save your giult for you kids & mother..no one can guilt ya more than them!
lol
:)

iloveflipflops
01-10-2008, 11:09 AM
I love the Stamp Shack the way it is. $10 is not that much with all things we get here!! Leave it is my vote :)

hbpuppy
01-10-2008, 11:20 AM
I vote for leave it. I remember the old days. Walking uphill through the snow to upload things. Getting kicked out of the chatroom. Flakers on the swap board. The website being "down" for hours at a time. No thanks. I like things the way they are now.

Mere Deaux
01-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Ten dollars is a small fee to pay for this site!!! Please just leave things as they are. I enjoy this site so much and feel I have made some really good friends here. You should NOT feel guilty about asking for ten dollars! Most of us spend that on our craft without thinking to much about it. lol Soooo my vote... Leave things be!

Jovi
01-10-2008, 11:48 AM
I also agree, we should leave The Shack as is... why change a good thing?!

directmailscrapper
01-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Sherry, when you consider how much the Shack is a part of our lives -- our personal lives as well as our stamping lives -- $10 is nuttin! I suppose it might scare a few potential new members away, and that's a shame -- but TOO BAD! This is already a very viable and active community. You are doing a FABULOUS job! Let us know what you need from us!

stampcrazyjulie
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm with the rest of the Gals. I like the security features and knowing that we are all here because we want to be vs. some others that are just trolling through! :)

TiikkiStars
01-10-2008, 12:55 PM
$10 for the year is fine with me!! Some of the bigger sites that I have to weed through all the nasty posts and its just not as fun. I also like that my address is only shared with those that are truly members of this site. Please keep us like we are.
:> Karen

lakeslady
01-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Please keep the webite exactly how it is now...........secure, safe, efficent, friendly and caring.
I only joined a few months ago, but I had NO hesitation in paying $10 to have a site purely dedicated to rubber stamping.
Here we are free to be the creative, giving souls that all rubber stampers seem to be, free from spam and unwanted advertising that leaves us time to follow our favourite craft uninterupted;)

spredbirds
01-10-2008, 01:31 PM
I agree ... leave it as is ... I will gladly pay $10!
I love the Shack!

hutchink
01-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I have no problem paying $10 either! You ROCK Sherry!

Inkisallover
01-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm with everybody else, leave it as it is. This is a wonderful place to be!

laos348
01-10-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm another one who is fine with the $10 fee. I think it's worth it to get all the great features we get here.

Laura

ChristyR
01-10-2008, 02:21 PM
I agree with everyone else, keep it just the way it is ;)

gigibee
01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
This is such a wonderful place that I too am fine with the $10.00 fee for everything that we get here, plus the security.

Konnie

patcreates
01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
This site is well worth paying the $10 for. Please keep it as is. :)

Patty
01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
$10 is nothing for what we get here--please keep it the way it is. I may not have the most posts, but I think about this website every day and I feel so warm and fuzzy with everyone here--no changes please---just let me know when to pay again.

mydogstinks2
01-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I agree!! Keep the fee!

maxiesmom
01-10-2008, 05:25 PM
What they all said! 10 bucks is so worth having our privacy here and no trolls. Who hasn't spent that much on something that is sitting in our craft room not even being used? We all use this 'purchase'!

JBgreendawn
01-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Sherry,
I voted for keep the membership.

i feel like 10.00 is not a hardship fee, many many people blow that on one lunch or one stamp. so the fact that it gets them 365 days 24 hours a day to do everything possible in here, that is a very small price to pay.

I feel like if there was someone who posted she could not afford 10.00 maybe some times the "prize" for a contest could be a years subscription.

just a thought,
dont worry so much hon!

stampinmom3
01-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Sherry- I think things are perfect the way they are! Less than 1.00 a month??? We can live with that. Thanks for all you do.

Lisa
01-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Sherry, you KNOW what I am going to say. $10 is NOTHING not to mention all the work you do for this site that just gets done, without any charge. I have to tell you Sherry, you should know that what you offer is worth way more than $10.00
(you know I kick your butt, but I love ya)

Kreative Dryve
01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Keep it as is, and don't change a thing.
While I never use the chat, arcade, or templates.
I know others that love them, and would never think of wanting them gone.
Thanks for all your hard work!
~Marie

ellie
01-10-2008, 06:46 PM
I vote for paying the $10. It's a bargain considering all the enjoyment I receive from this board.

MerryMimi
01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
I'll put my two-cents worth in...$10 membership is a STEAL!! I've gotten templates and info on here that would cost a fortune online or in a book. The chatroom is fun for me as a new member. I like the security alot and the smaller size group makes it more intimate for comments-if that's applicable. Please leave it as it is, in my opinion :O)

patg
01-10-2008, 08:30 PM
I ditto everyone above! Pat

GSMom385
01-10-2008, 09:31 PM
$10 is so cheap for what I get here. My DH belongs to an archery board that is like $30 a year and it isn't nearly as good as the things offered up here. It is way cheaper than any magazine sub I have or anything else. I think it is good value for the money, that isn't even 1 soda pop a month I am giving up. Keep the fee!!!

Dibby
01-11-2008, 12:41 AM
I too agree with everyone else & I am happy to pay the membership fee.

Canadian, eh
01-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm so with keeping the $10 fee. I'll go vote now.

midnitecreations
01-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Add me to the "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it" group! This site is worth $10.00 and more to me.

Firecracker
01-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I agree with everyone else! $10 is not that much. Hugs, Heather

countrystamper
01-12-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't mind paying $10 for this site, well worth it. LInda

littlegto
01-22-2008, 05:45 PM
The 10.00 membership is a small price to pay for all the goodies we get. Like others have said don't fix what's not broken.