PDA

View Full Version : Did you know......(maybe TMI)

Vintagegal
01-11-2008, 07:21 AM
that you could gain up to FIVE POUNDS during 'that time of the month?' I asked our medical doctor at work why the scale shows that I've gained weight, but my clothes are feeling a lot loser. She asked me if I was in that time of my cycle, and said 'yes.' She explained to me that women tend to gain four to five pounds during their menses.

So...ladies...if that scale isn't moving during that 'time of the month' it's probably because your retaining a lot of water. The doc told me that once it's over, your body will start dropping those pounds again (provided that you're sticking to your diet and exercise routine).

Also, she said that if you're losing too much weight too quickly (like ten pounds in ten days...that kind of rate of loss), your body will think it's starving. It'll go into 'survival mode' and hold onto what it can to keep you from starving to death. So, she said, be sure to eat at least 1,200 calories per day to keep your metabolism going.

Just thought I'd share this food-for-thought from our MD at work..... in case you think you're plateau-ing.

My3Ds
01-11-2008, 07:51 AM
It feels more like 20 lbs. sometimes. :)

Spartymom
01-11-2008, 08:00 AM
That's funny you are saying that. Last week, I was normal and then the next day just like that-I was like 2lbs. heavier. I did figure b/c it was the time. Now, I'm getting back to normal. Also, you should drink water to prevent that water weight. It's tough being a girl.

logcabincreations
01-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Well...I definitely have a water retention problem ... and yes drinks lots of water because it "releases" retained water...although that seems weird but it does work. Too much salt will make your body hold onto the water.

Vintagegal
01-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Too much salt will make your body hold onto the water.

And....I CRAVE salt like crazy during 'that time' of the month.

iloveflipflops
01-11-2008, 01:40 PM
So this totally explains why I am up "20 lbs" each month? LOL Sorry had to say it!!!

Vintagegal
01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
So this totally explains why I am up "20 lbs" each month?

LOL! That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it! LOL!

I just counted my calories for today (projecting what I'll have for dinner). I barely made it over 1,200 calories. I'm at 1,251 with dinner included. Man! If you're eating healthy, trying to reach that minimum of 1,200 calories is not as easy as you think!