PDA

View Full Version : My findings (so far) with my new Copic markers

iloveflipflops
01-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Ok ... here are a few Elzybells I colored comparing my Stampin Up markers to my Copic markers. Remember, I am a BEGINNER so I did no shading, or anything fancy ... just colored them. LOL

Photo #1 The one on the left I colored with my SU markers. I had to go over the green several times to get the streaks out - now I don't like how dark the green is. I colored their hair in this one as I didn't have colors for the hair on the copic one. The one on the right I colored with my Copics and used Palette Hybrid ink. If you look close you can see a little bit of bleeding where the skin is. Could it be my paper?

Photo #2 These are with Copic markers using Ancient Page ink. More bleeding I think. I do like the skin tone using these markers though and I love how the colors go on smooth.

But if i have to go out and get "special paper" next I don't think its worth it to go through all this.

iloveflipflops
01-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Now this one I stamped last night so it completely dried and there seems to be NO bleeding ... so does this mean its my ink is too wet after I stamp it?

Now I need a special ink that dries right away? This is very stressful!! LOL:arghh:

Like how I outlined in the light gray? I do like that "special touch". ha ha

BeckyButtshaw
01-26-2008, 10:18 AM
very cute Sherri! I have to say I also have the SU markers and never thought about getting something else, but I really like the look of your new markers.

My3Ds
01-26-2008, 10:23 AM
I do like the outlining technique. Does M's carry copics? Do I need to go look today? Do I need to take a hour and a half drive to the closest HL? Do I? Do I?

workin4stamps
01-26-2008, 10:37 AM
I never color with my SU markers. They are way too dark IMO, and I like more of a watercolor look. My favorite coloring method still is, and probably always will be, my SU inkpads with SU blender pens. I always love the look I get and coordination is a breeze. You can also use blender pens with re-inkers or markers. Scribble the marker on a CD case, and pick up the color with your blender pen. Or use a drop of ink from the re-inker and pick up that color with your blender pens.

I think blender pens give a nice, even, watercolored look. One of the girls at my stamp club this month said she liked using the blender pens better than the aqua painter.

Something ELSE for you to think about. Do you have a blender pen Sherri?? If not, I should send you one.

Traci

Paula Carden
01-26-2008, 10:42 AM
By George, I think you have it. I like the Copic. I am going to have to take the plunge but I will have to order on line as no one here sells them.
I like the copic effect tho. I have a few Prismas they are very dark but for some things they are okay.
The Copics really add a professional edge tho.

prdesigns
01-26-2008, 12:01 PM
You can pull the ink off the markers, too, with the blender pen. I just dab the blender tips to the bigger tip end of the marker, pull off ink, test it on scrap paper and then color in my image. You can get different shades (if you will), by how much you clean off on scrap paper. So, if you have more ink pens, than ink pads.... this works too!

suzi_f
01-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Ok, I DO like the look of the Copics but, I can not add them to my list of things I MUST get! I usually don't like markers 'cause they are too dark. These are nice. I'll just enjoy the things y'all do!

ellie
01-26-2008, 12:42 PM
I think the copic markers give a smoother look.

mydogstinks2
01-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I like the look of the copic but... do I need them??

iloveflipflops
01-26-2008, 02:09 PM
I think this is what "I" am going to do for now. I am not going to get the whole set or even close to it. I am going to get my favorite colors that match my SU colors and work with those for awhile and then see what happens. I need to learn to blend but for now I am enjoying the smoothness of the lines not showing like my SU markers do. So not sure if this answers your question or not ...

directmailscrapper
01-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Sherri, I think they grow on you. They have for me. And check out some of the Copic tutorials -- they are inspiring. I think you are taking the right approach -- buy them as you need them. My only word of advice, buy at least 2 colors in shades -- the lighter and a darker version of the same color. One each of a bunch of colors won't let you get the benefit of the Copics.

hbpuppy
01-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Hey Sherri. I don't have any experience with copics but I bought a new stamp pad today that you might like. It's from Stamps by Judith. It's called "the one I use". It's a quick drying black dye based inkpad. She did a little demo for me because I told her I have a problem with my ink bleeding. She stamped in the inkpad then immediately colored all over with tombow markers. no bleeding at all. Then, she did more of a real life test. She stamped then colored the images using a couple of different colors and used the super light grey on the outsides. It was remarkably fast and she made it look so easy. She did tell me that papers have different amounts of clay and that will effect how it holds ink.

BTW. Judith is super sweet. Some older lady was in the booth and said really loud, "who's this judith lady/" and Judith turned around and smiled real big and said, "me." I was kindof laughing so Judith laughed with me.

Erin K
01-27-2008, 12:00 AM
Sherri you can just blast your ink with a heat gun if you want to color right away.

I'm playing with coloring and coloring a bunch of things I have in my image box (you know, of images from swaps and RAKS and all) and EVERYTHING is fine. Even ink I know isn't supposed to be fine, I think eventually it totally sets up.

Course no one wants to wait overnight to color stuff so I say just blast the ink with a heat gun.

I'm talking about palette ink, I don't have any of those other inks you said.

:)

I love them. I was just saying to Brian that I'm totally in love with them.

he rolled his eyes I think.

directmailscrapper
01-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Heather, I LOVE Judith -- I met her at a stamp show over the summer. Love her stamps, and her demos look soooo easy!

suzi_f
01-27-2008, 08:27 AM
If I'm remember right, Sherri doesn't HAVE a heat gun 'cause the girl won't heat emboss. Silly girl. Heat embossing is what drug me into rubber stamping. First time I melted that powder, I was hooked!!

iloveflipflops
01-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Um -- believe it or not, I DO have a heat gun but i do not use it. lol

Sherry
01-27-2008, 09:41 AM
I love the look of the Copic markers but I refuse to buy them. I followed the 'stamping sheep' when prismacolor markers were the 'in' thing and ended up paying a fortune for them. Now, they're not good enough anymore? Pish Posh - I'm just going to add more colors to my prismacolor collection and save myself the Copic fortune. :D

hutchink
01-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Sherry I am with you...I have the whole set of prismacolor makers and LOVE them! I did get tow more to compare but no difference!

Erin K
01-27-2008, 11:49 AM
are you calling me a sheep??

cindi
01-27-2008, 11:57 AM

you are not the sheep..you are the herd leader!!! You did all the experimenting and showed us what they can do..so that kinda makes you the sheperd!
lol
:notworthy:

Sherry
01-27-2008, 01:00 PM

Well, if the fleece fits...

LOL, I'm just teasing your Erin. Seriously, I'm not calling anyone a sheep. It was just a general term I use to describe ALL of us stampers who go out and by the 'in' product of the day just because everyone else has it. Today it will be Copics, tomorrow it will be something new. I dunno about ya'll but I just can't afford all of this new stuff every other week.

Perhaps I need to get a job :twitcy:

Tantalize
01-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, if the fleece fits...

LOL, I'm just teasing your Erin. Seriously, I'm not calling anyone a sheep. It was just a general term I use to describe ALL of us stampers who go out and by the 'in' product of the day just because everyone else has it. Today it will be Copics, tomorrow it will be something new. I dunno about ya'll but I just can't afford all of this new stuff every other week.

Perhaps I need to get a job :twitcy:

LOL.... LOL!!!! Yep, that should solve all our problems, Sherry. Just get a 2nd job. I like my Copics but still need to experiment with them as well. I did jump on the Prisma pencil wagon as well as the Cuttlebug, and sorta the Copics. But if you remember, I accidentally bid on those on ebay! (rightt....) I will build up my collection but slowly. I am leaving the Nestablities for now... see, not every bandwagon ;)

MnMommy2
01-28-2008, 01:13 PM
very cute Sherri! I have to say I also have the SU markers and never thought about getting something else, but I really like the look of your new markers.

ditto to that! have fun Sherri! I wish someplace here sold Copics.

tesschap
01-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I joined GinaK's Copic club and get six markers each month for six months. I got my first six in early January and was impressed with them. I'm anxious to see what colors I get for February. I only have one color group of SU markers. I love them but they do pill the paper from time to time - although I haven't used them since I switched to the Papertrey white card stock. I won't go overboard with the Copics but I do like them a lot!