PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice re: buying new luggage

workin4stamps
02-21-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm in the market for some new luggage. I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling this year, and DH and I have a bunch of mismatched luggage. We're going to go shopping this weekend for my birthday, and I'm going to look for something new!

Has anyone bought luggage lately?

Does anyone have any advice about things to look for, etc. There seems to be SO MUCH out there! I have a flight booked on Northwest Air in July, and I was reading their luggage guidelines. They say that you can carry on 1 piece, plus 1 "other" piece such as a purse OR a laptop bag OR briefcase OR a backpack. I'm trying to figure out how I'm suppose to get my purse AND my laptop bag on the plane if I can only have 1 piece. Maybe I'll have to put my purse in my carry-on luggage piece?? Then I can put all my incidentals in my laptop bag or something?

It's been YEARS since I have flown anywhere.

So back to the luggage.....does most luggage now-a-days come with locks on it? I have seen special luggage security straps sold separately....do I need these??

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Traci

tesschap
02-21-2008, 12:45 PM
DH and I each bought a small suitcase - small enough to be a carryon by most of the airline standards. In addition we each bought a duffle bag on wheels. We got ours at JC Penney - they had a sale and the colors I wanted - and if you have a problem you can easily return or exchange. When I travel with my laptop I put it in the dufflebag on wheels - main compartment. I put the power cords, mouse, mouse pad (I am one who needs to use a mouse with her laptop) in one of the smaller zip pouches. I also put my purse in the large compartment with my laptop - after I go through security. If I have magazines, work files, etc. I lay them on top of my lap top and place them in the large pouch together. I've always had plenty of room and my purse is fairly large - it's about 14 inches square.

I never lock my luggage and haven't invested in any of the new locks. I figure if anyone wants in to my luggage they'll find a way!

There are so many colors and styles out there. Do let us know what you end up buying.

workin4stamps
02-21-2008, 01:55 PM
thanks Teresa! I know that you travel a lot, so I was hoping you'd chime in here!

:-)
Traci

tesschap
02-21-2008, 02:09 PM
I forgot to mention that we also have one larger suit case that isn't small enough for a carry on. We don't always take this with us but when we need it - we have it. We also went with soft-sided luggage. I had always wanted hard sided but it's heavier and with the airlines decreasing their weight limits you have to pack less.

Christie
02-21-2008, 02:28 PM
I would say don't get black! everyone has black luggage which makes it hard to find at the airport!

workin4stamps
02-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I would say don't get black! everyone has black luggage which makes it hard to find at the airport!

good suggestion! I was thinking I want to get something in COLOR! Maybe red? Or I saw a cute set in Apple Green!! I just wonder if I would get sick of that after a while???

:-)
Traci

Christie
02-21-2008, 02:32 PM
If you do get balck you could always tie a scarf around the handle so you could find it better. Or do what my dbf did, he wrote his name in big white letters on the outside! LOL!!!!!

ccstampin12
02-21-2008, 02:33 PM
We have soft sided luggage too. Mine is red and DH has a mismash of non-matching pieces because he just couldn't care less about things matching! LOL
I am planning to get a backpack for the "extra" bag besides the carry-on. I'm looking at the Vera Bradley large backpack...but not decided yet. I can put all my necessary pocketbook items into that backpack and pack my purse in a checked bag. When we arrive, I'll transfer all the purse items from the backpack into the purse.
Hope this helps!
Joanie

cecescraps
02-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I agree w/ the DON'T get BLACK! Every time I fly there are 100 suitcases that look just like mine! Now, I tie a colorful ribbon on the handle part of mine. :) Also, are you checking your bag? Because, if you check your main bag then, you can carry your purse and laptop onto the plane. I drive DH crazy b/c I check my luggage all the time and then, I carry my purse and a fairly large tote bag (it will fit under the seat in front of me if I squish it) w/ all my mags, books, etc... on the plane.

tojoco
02-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Traci, Before I bought my Vera Bradley duffle bag carryon, I looked at a lot of luggage. One thing I would be sure to get if I was buying new luggage was the four "swivel" wheels. The piece has four wheels on it so you can just roll it along and it will never get caught anywhere and fall sideways. KWIM http://www.bagsforme.com/bags/CP-LTM3000. And like Teresa said, I would also go for the soft-sided luggage. Because Vera Bradley is so expensive, I do plan on buying a few more pieces to the set but it will have to be piece by piece. I also like that I can easily spot my duffle bag as it comes down the conveyor belt because of the bright colors.

As for locking your luggage, I didn't think you were able to lock luggage any more so if they felt they needed to open your bag, they wouldn't have to break the lock but I'm not sure about this. I never lock my luggage.

p.s. the luggage on that website is definitely NOT the set I would buy.

workin4stamps
02-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Traci, Before I bought my Vera Bradley duffle bag carryon, I looked at a lot of luggage. One thing I would be sure to get if I was buying new luggage was the four "swivel" wheels. The piece has four wheels on it so you can just roll it along and it will never get caught anywhere and fall sideways. KWIM http://www.bagsforme.com/bags/CP-LTM3000. And like Teresa said, I would also go for the soft-sided luggage. Because Vera Bradley is so expensive, I do plan on buying a few more pieces to the set but it will have to be piece by piece. I also like that I can easily spot my duffle bag as it comes down the conveyor belt because of the bright colors.

As for locking your luggage, I didn't think you were able to lock luggage any more so if they felt they needed to open your bag, they wouldn't have to break the lock but I'm not sure about this. I never lock my luggage.

p.s. the luggage on that website is definitely NOT the set I would buy.

good suggestion about the wheels Joanne!! I have been looking at some stuff at JCP.com, and I do remember seeing some pieces that mentioned "4 swivel wheels" or something like that. I will be sure to make that a "must" on my list!

Traci

mahodgman
02-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Honestly, my best advice is to not spend too much money because they throw it all around the same and damage it! I bought a beautiful lavender colored suitcase once while on vacation at an outlet store, and on it's first flight it came off the carrosel with ugly blak marks all over it! I agree about tying something colorful on the handles of your suitcase so it is easy to spot. I'd go black and cheap all the way! Do you have a Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Tuesday Morning store near you? They often have awsome deals on luggage.

Trapedinga
02-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Traci, my SIL worked for one of the airlines as a supervisor in the phone center where you call about lost luggage. The #1 lost luggage is a black bag. Go figure. Anyway she says don't do the black bag period, but don't spend more than you're willing to lose. Baggage is a nightmare. One tip my mom does, and it saved her, is after she packs all of her things she takes a large sheet of paper and writes her name and address on it and lays it on top before she closes it. Also she has a pretty bow tied to the handle so she can spot her bag (I've never seen one like hers before) and she also carries all meds, and personnal stuff in her carry on.
Have fun on your shopping trip.

donna

maxiesmom
02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Before Alaska I went to Kohl's shopping and they had a four or five piece set marked down because the one piece's handle didn't want to come out. It had gotten a little bent. Man I got a deal on that luggage and I fixed it NO problem at home! Sadly, ours is also black. I do agree with the no black, but most luggage is black for the reasons Mary stated- it all gets abused by the airlines and your pretty luggage is going to end up looking like trash anyway!
We have a piece of yarn tied on all our pieces so that helps, also a distinctive luggage tag. I did invest the few bucks in the Travel Sentry combo locks. They have a TSA code on the bottom so if they feel the need to get into your bag they know which key to use on it. Then the lock has a little thingy that pops up to let you know your bag was entered, although for some reason I think they put a slip of paper in telling you they did.
Your purse and laptop should not be a problem as long as you check your other bag then and not try to bring on a carry on suitcase too. I always have my purse and backpack.

Paula Carden
02-22-2008, 06:17 AM
I have soft sided luggage because of the weight restrictions- It doesn't much matter -we have bought expensive and cheap but after one flight-it looks pretty rough-it gets bent, picked etc... I do have crime scene tape around my handles and I can pick it out right away. We have had the wheels to be gone when it comes out etc... So only pay what you feel comfortable with because even our expensive stuff comes out with lots of damage.
The duffel bags work very well and hold lots of stuff.
Good luck-doesn't matter so much about the colors as you will see several of the same no matter which you choose. I like darker as it doesn't show the wear and dirt as quick.

ellie
02-22-2008, 01:03 PM
I saw some really cute polka-dot ones in one of the stores around here...Garden Ridge. I don't know how sturdy it is but it sure is cute! You would be able to pick it out on the carousel with no trouble.