PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to need your support to force me to properly train this year!

tesschap
03-10-2008, 12:15 AM
I've been going back and forth - trying to decide if I want to participate in the Breast Cancer 3-Day walk again this year with the team from work. It is a big commitment and I am still suffering side effects from my fall last year. DH told me to kick up my fundraising a little, donate the $$ to some of my team mates and take this year off but in my heart I really want to participate. This weekend we were away at a work function and several of my fellow walkers asked if I was going to walk - and I think the conversations made DH realize that it is something I really want to do. Tonight I could not fall asleep - DH's snoring and the time change had me wide awake and thinking about whether or not I want to do the walk this year. I decided I am walking - I'm walking for our sweet friend Lesa (http://lesasbreastcancer.blogspot.com/) - if she can be strong enough to fight this nasty disease and all that comes along with it I can lick my wounds from last year's walk, do my part to raise the $$ needed to participate, suck it up and tolerate the blisters, and help rid our world of this terrible disease. I've just signed up and this week I'll be updating my blog and setting up my training schedule. I need to train a lot better this year than last year! I've gained 15 lbs. since Aunt Joyce has been staying witih us - she's eating good and so am I! I need to drop the extra weight - walk at least three days a week - and start drinking water. This is where I need your support. From time to time - if you think of it - ask me about my progress - kick me in the butt if I'm not training - and remind me that I need to train train train so that I'm in good shape in September!

In addition to walking in honor of Lesa, I've also decided to dedicate this walk to the memory of Sherri's friend, Robin and Deborah's friend, Dr. Deborah Duerden McDonald. If you have anyone else you'd like me to walk in honor of or in memory of please drop me a note and I will be honored to add the names to my walking list.

Thanks!

scrappinnuts
03-10-2008, 12:20 AM
wow what an inspiration you are... I would be happy to ask you about your progress...I did the walk several years ago... it was tough, but very rewarding. I think it is really great what you are doing.

Swanie78
03-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Good luck Theresa!
I too was looking into doing it this year, in honor of my aunt. My worry is not being able to raise enough money. What happens if I dont?? Am I responsible to cover what I dont collect, or what?
The website makes it really hard to get any info if you aren't associated with a group. :(

tesschap
03-10-2008, 12:39 AM
Good luck Theresa!
I too was looking into doing it this year, in honor of my aunt. My worry is not being able to raise enough money. What happens if I dont?? Am I responsible to cover what I dont collect, or what?
The website makes it really hard to get any info if you aren't associated with a group. :(

If you don't raise the full $2200. you have the option to pay yourself or you can't walk. It does cost $90.00 to register as well. I have found that the fundraising has been pretty easy for me. You'll be surprised by the people that donate that you don't expect. I do a lot of mailings, emails, and a few events every year. It is time consuming but I think it's worth it. If you sign up as an individual you can look for teams from your area and ask to join one. Many times they will include you in their fundraising efforts. Let me know if you want more info.

iloveflipflops
03-10-2008, 06:04 AM
Ok now you have me crying Teresa!!! You can do it, you can do it ... I will be one of your biggest cheerleaders for sure!!!!

Swanie78
03-10-2008, 06:07 AM
If you don't raise the full $2200. you have the option to pay yourself or you can't walk. It does cost $90.00 to register as well. I have found that the fundraising has been pretty easy for me. You'll be surprised by the people that donate that you don't expect. I do a lot of mailings, emails, and a few events every year. It is time consuming but I think it's worth it. If you sign up as an individual you can look for teams from your area and ask to join one. Many times they will include you in their fundraising efforts. Let me know if you want more info.

Thanks for the info Theresa. I think Ill pass this year then. But let me know if/when you register, Ill donate :)

Vintagegal
03-10-2008, 06:19 AM
Teresa, You are such a strong warrior. You made me misty-eyed, reading your post. I'll definitely support you in your training and next walk!

ccstampin12
03-10-2008, 07:42 AM
You are so great! And I've never met you, but I know it anyway!
I'll send you a donation for your WALK.
I'm sending the link to this thread to Lesa because she doesn't visit much lately at the Shack.
I know she will be touched!
HUGS
Joanie

tattoolesa
03-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I am honored that you will be walking the walk for me and in memory of Sherri's friend, Robin and Deborah's friend, Dr. Deborah Duerden McDonald. I cannot imagine the HUGE task ahead of you and your bravery to do it again. YOU are so inspirational. You CAN do it. I will be cheering you on all the way. Every step. And some day I hope I will be strong enough to walk it with you. You are a phenomenol woman! {{{hugs}}}

tesschap
03-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I am honored that you will be walking the walk for me and in memory of Sherri's friend, Robin and Deborah's friend, Dr. Deborah Duerden McDonald. I cannot imagine the HUGE task ahead of you and your bravery to do it again. YOU are so inspirational. You CAN do it. I will be cheering you on all the way. Every step. And some day I hope I will be strong enough to walk it with you. You are a phenomenol woman! {{{hugs}}}

Oh Lesa - thanks so much for your kind words. You keep fighting and I'll keep walking :) My tentmate for every walk that I've done is a survivor and when you're strong enough and ready I'll proudly walk with you.

Stay strong - I'm sending you a hug.

mydogstinks2
03-10-2008, 10:16 AM
great you all made me cry this morning!
You can do it I know you can!!

MidwestStamper
03-10-2008, 11:01 AM
The lady that I job share with is going to do this walk this year. Not sure when they do it here in Minnesota--I think it's fall. It sounds like a wonderful challenge!

tesschap
03-10-2008, 11:06 AM
The lady that I job share with is going to do this walk this year. Not sure when they do it here in Minnesota--I think it's fall. It sounds like a wonderful challenge!

The Twin Cities walk (http://08.the3day.org/site/PageServer?pagename=TC_landing)is September 19-21st.

Are there any Michigan Shackies participating in the walk I'm doing???

ccstampin12
03-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Teresa,
Where do you do your walk?
Our MD walks every year in honor of his wife who is a survivor. I think he walks in NYC...could that be right?
Hmmmm...now I'm not sure.
Anyway...where do you go?
Joanie

patg
03-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Good luck Teresa! Pat

tesschap
03-10-2008, 11:29 AM
This year there are 14 3-Day walks. Our team choses a different walk each year. This year we are walking in Michigan - I think it's in the Detroit area.

Here's a link to the 3-Day main site (http://08.the3day.org/site/PageServer). If you click on the arrow to the right of choose a location you can review the list of locations for 2008.

Teresa,
Where do you do your walk?
Our MD walks every year in honor of his wife who is a survivor. I think he walks in NYC...could that be right?
Hmmmm...now I'm not sure.
Anyway...where do you go?
Joanie

cindi
03-10-2008, 12:03 PM
your awesome!!:notworthy: I am misaty eyed reading this!! I wish I could train with you!! sometimes a partner to train with helps. We will all be sending you encouragement!!
:183:

logcabincreations
03-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Teresa - this is awesome and you are going to be fit as a fiddle by September!!! I will support you with lots of prayers. Also, our church is going to have a team this year to walk for Relay for Life to raise money for the American Cancer Society. I'm going to do it. It's in May.

lakeslady
03-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Happy to support and cheer you on Teresa.
Please put me on your mailing list for when people are sending in donations, so I can send you some too.
How I love the relationship between the UK and the USA

threefriends91
03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Teresa, You are such a special lady and l would be happy to help support you and will make a donation for you to walk. You are a great warrior and l'm proud to have you as a friend.. l can't imagine the task, and l'm sure it will be tough..but l know you can do it..

cecescraps
03-10-2008, 03:14 PM
You GO Girl!! I'll be cheering you on all the way and I also would love to send you a donation! Made me cry but, in a "good cry" kind of way...

firefly
03-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Teresa - this is a wonderful cause - good luck with everything! I looked into walking in the Cleveland 3-day event but the fundraising scared me a little too - seems like a lot of money to raise by one individual. The team approach seems the way to go - have fun!

Sally

Canadian, eh
03-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Wow, it's that time of year again. Seems like yesterday you had your bumps and scratches. Good luck with the walk.