PDA

View Full Version : I need some ideas

suzi_f
12-10-2006, 08:44 AM
We're having an ornament exchange at work. I'm making mine out of Daisy D Christmas paper & the paper-mache ornaments at Archivers. I've ripped out the paper & will glue it down, paint & distress the edges but, it needs something else. Glitter seems contraindicated since it is such a vintage-y look (unless I could find some old fashioned looking glitter?) I'm going to use ripped tea-dyed fabric to tie on the top and the backs will get stamped w/their name & the date.

I think I'm gonna hit Wally World today and see what kind of christmas trims I can find. Any suggestions??

\http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/suzi_f/My%20Bucket/Dec1001.jpg

stampinnutof3
12-10-2006, 08:49 AM
I think they look very cute but if you want to add something to it why not the "ribbon type" gems for the border?

Far North
12-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Buttons, glitter and ric-rack would all be historicalliy appropriate. Be sure to share your final ornament.

teabear
12-10-2006, 01:10 PM
thank you so much for sharing this! I have several of these paper mache ornies and couldn't decide what to do with them!

My suggestions are liquid applique on santa's beard or coat, a real jingle bell attached to the star somehow, sentiment printed or stamped on vellum strip over the images in a small way.

Far North
12-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Suzi-Here is a website that I mark for inspiration whenever I get to making my yard sale paper mache finds. It does not have any star shapes but it was spark a thought or two. Happy playing!...Jan
http://www.artchixstudio.com/create/classroom/class_xmasornaments.htm

kerry
12-11-2006, 05:27 PM
We dyed some of that chunky clear glitter with some tea stain then glued the ornament, then just sprinkled the glitter on that. It made the ornament really old looking. I also think adding a green feather (like the old victorian feather trees) that has the feathery part all crumpled up like old garland would look really nice. Add a few red beads and it will look really vintage!

Kerry

suzi_f
12-11-2006, 06:42 PM
These things are looking AWFUL!!!! :realmad: I painted the edges a mix between tan & choc brown. It looks bad (and nearly the same color as the papier-mache ) UCK! So, I then decided if I toned down the paper color, it would look better. I painted it w/walnut ink. Double UCK!! I added some gold glitter to the "band" across the bells (none to Santa.....yet?) Triple UCK!!! :err:

I'm gonna try some buttons & ric-rac/ribbon and see if I can REALLY screw it up. :skeptical: Crafting is supposed to make you happy, right?? Right now, it's just making me feel like a talentless hack:no2:

suzi_f
12-11-2006, 06:45 PM
We dyed some of that chunky clear glitter with some tea stain then glued the ornament, then just sprinkled the glitter on that.

Ok, I have chunk plastic glitter stuff. Is that what you dyed?? I have a whole pool of walnut ink to use. Did you apply the glitter everywhere? Edges? Appropriate parts of the design. I need ANY help I can get here :wub:

kimmiesmom94
12-16-2006, 12:54 AM
ok here goes from a NON ornament maker....... why not paint the background a country red/brick red ish color, then put the paper on with or without glitter, then use that UTEE crackle/cracked technique. Afterwards just do a rub with walnut ink to accentuate the cracks? I don't know,maybe it won't work, but it is worth a try.

Sara