View Full Version : Any Stamp Shack member from Newfoundland?

inkinupstamps
12-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Just curious if we have any Shackies from Newfoundland. If so, can you come out an introduce yourself? :nod: :cute:

mustangsarah
12-11-2006, 07:43 AM
I am from NF, but I now live in Ns. I moved here 4 years ago.

inkinupstamps
12-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Did you live in or near St. John's? I was doing some internet searching last night and there is a scrap/stamp store that I may order from and it really looks nice! Was curious if anyone had dealt with it or visited it. It's called "The Papiere."

Newfoundland (along with NS, PEI) is on my vacation wish list...someday! :nod:

GrammaStamper
12-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Jennifer, I was at The Papiere in April 2005. I attended a conference with DH in St. John's and while he was working, I went there. It's a great place and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Spent an hour or two there chatting and shopping. Didn't buy much because this was before I was into cardmaking, just interested in scrapbooking and, even then, didn't do too much of it.

St. John's is a fabulous place. We stayed at the Delta in St. John's with a view of the harbour and Signal Hill. Rented a car for a day or 2 and did some touring. I have a picture of me standing under a street sign for "Old Broad Cove Road" and then I made John get his picture taken at the sign for "Drunkard's Lane".

It is the most beautifully, rugged place I've seen. Houses actually standing on cliffs at the edge, and I mean the edge of the cliff. Beautiful.

inkinupstamps
12-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Your description is exactly as I've pictured NF! I'm hoping we will get to go sometime in the not too distant future. Did you read and see the movie "The Shipping News"? The descriptions and scenes sold me on NF!!

I'll go back to the link to The Papiere now. It really looks great!

Thanks so much for all the info!:nod: :cute:

GrammaStamper
12-11-2006, 08:52 AM
I was just talking to my DD about "The Shipping News" and how much I loved that movie. I would watch it again and again. I can't even begin to describe NL. It's a place I want to go to again and explore more. We only saw a bit of the St. John's area and about 100 miles to the northeast of St. John's. But it is gorgeous. I believe that in a few years, the cost of living in NL will almost equal that of living in BC.

pixel8ed
12-11-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm originally from Newfoundland. Labrador City actually, but now living in New Brunswick. I lived in St. John's for a year and two years in Stephenville. I spent part of the summer visiting places that I hadn't been before. Following a family tree of sorts. I spent a couple of days in a place called Rencontre East, which is only reachable by boat. Just a little tiny passenger boat. It was amazing!

I also spent a few days in Bonavista and I think that might just be the most beautiful spot in Newfoundland. Here's one of my favorite pictures from that trip.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/nadinerussell/100_2082.jpg

inkinupstamps
12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm originally from Newfoundland. Labrador City actually, but now living in New Brunswick. I lived in St. John's for a year and two years in Stephenville. I spent part of the summer visiting places that I hadn't been before. Following a family tree of sorts. I spent a couple of days in a place called Rencontre East, which is only reachable by boat. Just a little tiny passenger boat. It was amazing!

I also spent a few days in Bonavista and I think that might just be the most beautiful spot in Newfoundland. Here's one of my favorite pictures from that trip.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/nadinerussell/100_2082.jpg

WOW! Thank you so much (!!!) for posting that gorgeous photo! I asked my husband to come to the computer to see your photo.

We don't think we'll be able to make our trip to Newfoundland this summer as my daughter is getting married in the States, but the summer of 2008 we are booking off time to see all we can of Newfoundland!

Anytime you want to share more photos I'd love to see them!:nod:

GrammaStamper
12-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Jennifer, I'm going to send you an e-mail with pictures of NL and, in particular, me kissing a cod while being "screeched in", something you and Paul will have to do when you get there. LOL!

inkinupstamps
12-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Jennifer, I'm going to send you an e-mail with pictures of NL and, in particular, me kissing a cod while being "screeched in", something you and Paul will have to do when you get there. LOL!

That's GREAT Barb! I just asked Paul about kissing a cod and what being "screeched in" means. He laughed and told me all about both! Now I want to see your photos!:biglaugh:

GrammaStamper
12-11-2006, 09:55 PM
That's GREAT Barb! I just asked Paul about kissing a cod and what being "screeched in" means. He laughed and told me all about both! Now I want to see your photos!:biglaugh:

Jennifer, I've sent them, along with a little commentary. Enjoy!

inkinupstamps
12-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Barb, they just arrived and Paul came in the room to look at them too! Yep! We must go! Oh...he said he would take a photo of me for you! :biglaugh:

Thanks so much for sending these. They are great!:nod: :cute:

GrammaStamper
12-11-2006, 10:00 PM
My DH says he could be talked into meeting up out in NL for a few days! Any interest?

inkinupstamps
12-11-2006, 10:03 PM
But it doesn't look like it will happen prior to 2008 (summer). :nod: :cute:

GrammaStamper
12-11-2006, 10:10 PM
But it doesn't look like it will happen prior to 2008 (summer). :nod: :cute:

We need a reason to save the money!

Erin K
12-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Well you KNEW I'd read this thread as I am a HUGE Canada buff.. hehe

What's kissing a cod and screetching in? Sounds like a fish hangs out of your mouth and thousands of birds try to eat it out of your mouth? Is that it? Did I know it? If so that's because I'm "down" with my Canada peeps! hee he

Oh and I loved the pic too, I'm amazed by the beauty. Stinkin sandy beaches we have! :wub:

GrammaStamper
12-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Here is something about being "screeched-in" I was "screeched-in" at this Pub!

WHAT IS A SCREECH-IN?:

A “ Screech-In” is a ceremony we perform at our pub for people who visit our province from other parts of Canada and from all corners of the world. It is our way of welcoming you to our province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Newfoundlanders are well known for our friendliness and hospitality and a "Screech-In" is a testament of this. So if you are visiting be sure to drop by for an experience you will never forget. To date, there has been over 54,000 people Screeched-In at Trapper John’s with the number growing on a daily basis. Our "Screech-In" ceremony has been featured on many television stations including CBC, ABC, the BBC any many more. Even celebrities such as Guy Lafleur have been "Screeched-In".

SCREECH-IN HISTORY:

Long before any liquor board was created to take alcohol under its benevolent wing, Demerara rum was a mainstay of the Newfoundland diet, with salt fish traded to the West Indies in exchange for rum. When the Government took control of the traditional liquor business in the early 20th century, it began selling the rum in an unlabelled bottle. The product might have remained permanently nameless except for the influx of American servicemen to the Island during World War II. As the story goes, the commanding officer of the original detachment was having his first taste of Newfoundland hospitality and, imitating the custom of his host, downed his drink in one gulp. The American’s blood-curdling howl, when he regained his breath, brought the sympathetic and curious from miles around rushing to the house to find out what was going on. The first to arrive was a garrulous old American sergeant who pounded on the door and demanded, "What the cripes was that ungodly screech?" The taciturn Newfoundlander who had answered the door replied simply, "The Screech? ‘Tis the rum, me son." Thus was born a legend. As word of the incident spread, the soldiers, determined to try this mysterious "Screech" and finding its effects as devastating as the name implies, adopted it as their favourite. The opportunistic liquor board pounced on the name and reputation and began labeling Newfoundland Screech, nowadays they use Jamaican rum.

WHEN CAN I GET SCREECHED-IN?:

We do Screech-Ins Sunday - Thursday anytime of day or night. Friday & Saturdays we stop at 10:00 p.m. due to Live Entertainment and usually the bar is too full to do a Screech-In properly. :biglaugh:

Then, check out the site for pics and stuff about NL:

http://www.trapperjohns.com/pub/pub.htm

StampinMom
12-12-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm a Newfoundlander also! I'm from St. John's and all our family is still in Newfoundland and we visit at least once a year.

We've lived in Calgary for the past nine years, but Newfoundland will always be home to me. There's no other place like it on earth.

As for the "Screech In" - I am thankful that I am a Newfie so I have never had to do that. It's fun to watch others though!

Cheryl

GrammaStamper
12-12-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm a Newfoundlander also! I'm from St. John's and all our family is still in Newfoundland and we visit at least once a year.

We've lived in Calgary for the past nine years, but Newfoundland will always be home to me. There's no other place like it on earth.

As for the "Screech In" - I am thankful that I am a Newfie so I have never had to do that. It's fun to watch others though!

Cheryl

We had one guy in our group who was from NL and everytime someone want him to be screeched-in, he just kept repeating his SIN over and over, again. Too funny!

Deborah
12-13-2006, 07:30 AM
I'm from Grand Falls (central Newfoundland), although we've lived in Nova Scotia for thirty years now. There are two types of Newfoundlanders, those who never really ;left (although they live away), and those who would never go back to live (that includes me). It's a ruggedly beautiful province to explore, but I HATED winters there. My husband (from BC) has visited, and wants to again, for a several week period through the summer. I'd do that in a heartbeat!

We actually had a screech-in at our wedding in Ontario!! (lol) Our guests loved it!

~Deborah.

GrammaStamper
12-13-2006, 07:40 AM
We actually had a screech-in at our wedding in Ontario!! (lol) Our guests loved it!

~Deborah.

That must have been a hoot!

When we lived in PEI, we were driving around getting to know the place and on one road, there was a sign on the lawn that said, "C'mon in, Newfie lives here." And I bet if we'd knocked on the door, we would have had a coffee or something stronger, but it was morning. They really are the friendliest people I've ever met!