PDA

View Full Version : Hail and wind and lightning

Vintagegal
06-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Lightning must've hit the ground just outside of our house. DH and I felt the house shake and it sounded like a bomb literally exploded just outside our house. We won't go outside, just yet, to see what or if there is damage to our property. It seriously sounded like a bomb exploded. It wasn't thunder. We know what that sounds like, even if it's overhead. This sounded like a car crashed into our house or fence.

Now, wind is whipping around and I can hear hail pinging off our walls and windows. I hope Cindi is OK over in Iowa. Suzi and Cheryl (Shadoob), are the storms coming your way, also?

We were in tornado watch earlier in the evening. We've downgraded to a thunderstorm warning until 10:15 PM. Still, it's scary.

GSMom385
06-04-2008, 10:43 PM
There is a large tornado heading our way probably an hour away maybe it will go away before it gets here, they are acting like it might let up a little when it crosses the DM river, which is what most of them do when they are on the west side of the river from us. Right now we have big time rain with major flooding and they are saying baseball size hail isn't far off. We were just trying to decide if we wanted to take the kids to the basement to sleep tonight. I was in Albert Lea MN today just got home and drove thru some of this mess, got a ticket too. It was a sucky day so it firgures I won't get any sleep tonight either. But on the bright side my Whipper Snapper stamps came so maybe I will just pack up my kids and my stuff and go play in the basement.

toao
06-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Ethel, be extremely careful about going outside. You could have power lines down and in the dark you might step on them!! Could have been a transformer that blew up as well. Stay safe!!

Mary

toao
06-04-2008, 10:46 PM
There is a large tornado heading our way probably an hour away maybe it will go away before it gets here, they are acting like it might let up a little when it crosses the DM river, which is what most of them do when they are on the west side of the river from us. Right now we have big time rain with major flooding and they are saying baseball size hail isn't far off. We were just trying to decide if we wanted to take the kids to the basement to sleep tonight. I was in Albert Lea MN today just got home and drove thru some of this mess, got a ticket too. It was a sucky day so it firgures I won't get any sleep tonight either. But on the bright side my Whipper Snapper stamps came so maybe I will just pack up my kids and my stuff and go play in the basement.

I say take cover! I hate tornadoes.

Mary

GSMom385
06-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Ok now they are saying it is 2 miles across and growing, has taken out several farms and heading straight for us. They are getting in actual storm spotter reports now. I think I am signing off and going below ground.

maxiesmom
06-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh my gosh, you guys be safe! Hope there's no big damage, Ethel.

loobylou
06-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Stay safe. Power down and let us know when it all passes

threefriends91
06-05-2008, 01:38 AM
Oh no not again l Pray you are all safe..it must be very scary ..Please let us know what your all safe...Ethel and Cindi l'm sending up Prayers for all of you.

IMBlessed5
06-05-2008, 06:41 AM
We got pounded here in central IL yesterday afternoon. Bad storm with 80 mph winds. No tornado sirens though. But we lost power for 13 hours, just came back on at 4am this morning. Lots of trees down, etc. Hope everyone else is ok!

suzi_f
06-05-2008, 06:53 AM
WOW Vicki, that's bad! We had a few showers (not where I was but here at home). It never did anything last night, even thou it looked liked it could have gotten real ugly. Glad you've got power back! It's supposed to be another hot one today!

Christie
06-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Hope everthing is ok this morning. Check in and let us know!

ccstampin12
06-05-2008, 07:19 AM
How did everyone do last night?
Please report in as soon as you can!
Joanie

lakeslady
06-05-2008, 09:02 AM
WE complain about the British weather ( near enough constant rain) but we dont get the tornadoes that you poor girls do. We can get high winds and the occassional hurricane but I cannot begin to imagine how you must feel when you know something is heading in your direction.
Please stay safe and we shall be watching for you all checking in

Vintagegal
06-05-2008, 09:44 AM
We're OK. Didn't see any trees knocked down, or anything. Just lots of debris. Still have no idea what the loud 'bang' was last night. I'm convinced it was lightning that hit the ground outside our house. The trees and fence don't look 'burnt' though, so I'm not too sure.

logcabincreations
06-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Wow! Glad no major damage Ethel. Have you talked to Cindy????

shadoob
06-05-2008, 10:00 AM
We've had crazy weather the last few days. It's windy now...but every weather person in the vicinity is predicting tornadoes here tonight. We are leaving in a couple of hours for NH for our son's college graduation, so we won't be here.
The BIG outdoor music festival is just a few miles from here though--lots (!!) of young kids (16 - 25 years) camping out by Clinton Lake....oh, that is a scary thing.
Stay safe everyone....
~Cheryl

dreis1
06-05-2008, 12:09 PM
We have had all kinds of high winds and tornados through out the state this week. One lady was killed when she drove her vehicle in some high waters. Don't think there were any signs warning of such. Probably too soon of it happening. Lots of property damage and people can't get back into their homes yet. I had no problems thank God, just minor water in the basement. DH takes care of that with a shop vac. Glinda

GSMom385
06-07-2008, 10:29 AM
The 2 mile tornado just did damage in rural areas no major cities. The leftovers of it when it had sort of broken up went over the town my parents and most of my relatives live in and did a lot of tree damage a few minor house issues, like blown off shingles but not as bad as it could have been if it had stayed together. The sirens went here twice that night, but we were in the basement and didn't come up until morning. In fact this morning is the first time I have turned the computer back on with being so busy. Now we have all the major water it left behind to deal with. Lots of places flooded over the road. To drive to my office is almost like solving a puzzle since so many roads are closed. So I told the boss I wasn't coming this weekend to pick up my mail, and asked my assistant to glance thru it for any important stuff.

GSMom385
06-07-2008, 10:34 AM
BTW Ethel- lighting doesn't leave burn marks if it goes straight to ground, only if it hits something that will burn like a tree, or house. We watched it hit one time in a field just outside my Grandma's house and Grandpa went out afterward to see what it had done and he couldn't even find the spot in the corn. We all saw it hit with our own eyes, that's when Grandma told us a story about it hitting one time when she was a kid and how it didn't leave any marks, but it killed their dog who was in the yard at the time.

threefriends91
06-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Oh Thank God you and everyone is okay...it sounds so scary..l wouldn't know what to do if this happened to us..But l did Pray for everyone...l hope its over...