PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had a walking taco?

My3Ds
09-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Traci may know what I'm talking about since I got one while I was in Ohio earlier this week. There may also be other names for it. I'll let you guess before I post what it was.

iloveflipflops
09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Never heard of a walking taco before. But then I had never heard of ABC gum either. HA

My3Ds
09-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Seriously? You never heard of ABC gum?

MidwestStamper
09-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Yes, we have them as part of a Youth fundraiser every year at Church.

You take a individual size bag of Doritos or Fritos, cut the side open so it's like a pouch, add the spicy taco meat, cheese, and sour cream-- stir with your fork and eat it while 'walking' around! Very yummy!

loobylou
09-05-2008, 07:57 AM
I never heard of ABC gum, but i have a cultural excuse! I really haven't heard of a walking taco either, but I'm thinking it's a take-away taco

Spartymom
09-05-2008, 08:02 AM
They are part of our hot lunch program. DD likes them, but I don't think they are a good lunch at all. Messy too.

oh and ABC, is Already Been Chewed gum! hee heee.

MidwestStamper
09-05-2008, 08:07 AM
You guys grew up without ABC gum?! That was a standard joke all through school! LOL!

jazzypurple853
09-05-2008, 08:20 AM
I never heard of that either.

IMBlessed5
09-05-2008, 08:34 AM
They're called "taco-in-a-bag" around here. Just like Lidia explained it!

tesschap
09-05-2008, 08:37 AM
I never heard of the walking taco but they sound yummy. I grew up with ABC gum but had forgotten about it until I read the post here yesterday! I need to ask my kids if they want some - I don't think they'll have a clue what it is!

My3Ds
09-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Just like Lidia said - it's taco meat and toppings in a bag of frito chips. I thought it was an awesome idea for kids parties, tailgating, etc.

Christie
09-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I've heard of ABC gum, already been chewed, but never the taco thing. At first the thought of a walking taco sounds like it might have been so old it grew legs and walked away! LOL!!

CharityHand
09-05-2008, 01:34 PM
I've never heard of a walking taco, but it is a pretty clever idea!

iloveflipflops
09-05-2008, 01:51 PM
I thought it was a taco and you were walking while you ate it. LOL

logcabincreations
09-05-2008, 01:54 PM
sounds messy to me and wouldn't the filling be hot through the plastic?

My3Ds
09-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Not at all hot or messy. The small bags are more like foil. The bag is slit down the side to open it up and in goes the filling. You use a fork to eat it.

Kreative Dryve
09-05-2008, 05:21 PM
We make "taco bags" at the concession stand for softball, they are a big hit.
We add shreaded lettuce, tomato and onion to our, right along with the cheese, meat and sour cream.
Now I am thinking about making them for dinner this week, for sunday football.

workin4stamps
09-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Nope!!! I have never heard of this!!! Interesting!!!

maxiesmom
09-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes, we have them as part of a Youth fundraiser every year at Church.

You take a individual size bag of Doritos or Fritos, cut the side open so it's like a pouch, add the spicy taco meat, cheese, and sour cream-- stir with your fork and eat it while 'walking' around! Very yummy!

We saw people having these for dinner who had animals at the state fair last week. David pointed it out to me, except he said oh look how they are eating their taco salad! Otherwise, I had never heard of people eating it that way before.

My3Ds
09-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Traci - I knew for sure you would have heard of it. Thought maybe it was a mid-west thing.

stampinmom3
09-05-2008, 09:25 PM
That is so cool! I am gonna have to give it a whirl with the kids.

cindi
09-05-2008, 09:36 PM
I have never heard of a walking taco..but I know better than to take ABC gum!!
lol
:)

jaykirs
01-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Ahhh yes, nothing better than fresh ABC gum right off the underside of some desk! .... YUCK!!!! LOL ..... the walking taco thing doesn't sound bad, will have to try it.

Patty
01-16-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm new to the walking taco--but knew the abc gum. When we were small my dad used to say that no matter what he had (to eat) we wanted some. If we saw him chewing, we'd ask if that was gum and was there any more. He would motion like he was going for the gum he was chewing and smile and say--sorry this is the last piece, except for abc gum. UMMMM, no thanks, Dad!

cecescraps
01-16-2009, 01:26 PM
I had never heard of the walking taco until we moved to the Midwest (WI & IL) so, I too thought it was a Midwest thing. They are actually pretty good and not messy. I've been know to have one at a wrestling or swim meet. LOL Anyone here know what a "bubbler" is?? I do but, not until about 7 yrs ago. LOL

spredbirds
01-16-2009, 01:29 PM
We are having a fund raiser at work next week and on the menu is walking tacos .... I had never heard of them until just recently (for this).

HeatherJ
01-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Walking tacos are new to me, too! Neat idea, I will have to give them a try!

loobylou
01-16-2009, 06:54 PM
I had never heard of the walking taco until we moved to the Midwest (WI & IL) so, I too thought it was a Midwest thing. They are actually pretty good and not messy. I've been know to have one at a wrestling or swim meet. LOL Anyone here know what a "bubbler" is?? I do but, not until about 7 yrs ago. LOL

Here a bubbler is the drink fountain in the playground at school where the kids can get a drink of water.

cecescraps
01-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Ding, Ding, Ding!! You are correct Sarah!! I had NEVER heard a water fountain called that however, until we moved to Green Bay, WI. Merritt was in the middle of 2nd grade and came home crying from her 1st day at her new school b/c they played tag at recess and the bubbler was base and she had NO IDEA what a bubbler was. LOL

MidwestStamper
01-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah, those people over there in Wisconsin call them 'Bubblers' -- ha, ha! We call them a 'Drinking fountain' in Minnesota! BUt it's interesting to hear that you call them 'bubblers' in Australia too!

We are a couple weeks away from our Annual Fund Raiser at Church where we always have 'walking tacos' too. Only now we've started calling them 'WAPO Tacos' since they are sold to raise money for the kids to go to Camp WAPO (short for Camp Wapogasset in Wisconsin)

jaykirs
01-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah, those people over there in Wisconsin call them 'Bubblers' -- ha, ha! We call them a 'Drinking fountain' in Minnesota! BUt it's interesting to hear that you call them 'bubblers' in Australia too!

Hmmmm, I never heard that term before. I live in Texas, grew up here, and we always called them water fountains. :-)