PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else having problems running out of gas?

iloveflipflops
09-13-2008, 05:48 PM
I may be stuck home for days. Good thing I have swaps to work on :)

Gas stations in Charlotte have run out of gas. Gas stations near me are out of gas. They have plastic bags over their gas handles so you know they have no gas. I am sure its temporary but my gosh. People went crazy yesterday when the prices went up 75 cents in 1 day!! I knew it was going to!! I knew it was going to when they reported in the paper they were rationing gas to 10 gallons a person. It sure did!!!

My BIL lives in Winston-Salem (close to Emmcee) and he said none of his gas stations have gas so he isn't going anywhere.

I just don't know what is the matter with people reacting like they did yesterday. I had a full tank so I did not react like that but still.

Is anyone else having this problem in their town???

Vintagegal
09-13-2008, 05:51 PM
It's a really strange thing to hear, because it isn't a problem here (in the Omaha metro). At least, not yet. Gas prices went up a dime between yesterday and today. And, people are not rushing to fill up. I just don't know why there's a panic. When Katrina hit, sure, we were concermed but we did not run out of gas ANYWHERE. Sure, the fuel trucks were slower in getting the stationed refilled, but we did not run out. People need to settle down a little. I'm not going to panic until I hear that all of the refineries have been destroyed. THAT is when I'll really, really begin to worry.

directmailscrapper
09-13-2008, 05:55 PM
WOW! I haven't been out today -- but I needed gas yesterday and filled my tank. I drive about 75 miles a day -- and I fill my tank every 5-6 days. Hmmm. Maybe I'll have to telecommute!

ccstampin12
09-13-2008, 06:03 PM
DH filled both cars this morning....no problem here yet!
Joanie

dreis1
09-13-2008, 06:20 PM
We drove to Kokomo Tuesday and gas jumped from #3.69 on the way up there to $3.99 on the way back. I told DH to turn around and fill up but he didn't listen, so he got to pay the jump. We haven't run out of gas at the pumps. We are having a motorcycle race here at the Indy 500 tomorrow. There will be 100,000 people here for that race. I sure hope we don't run out. Glinda
'

logcabincreations
09-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Guess I'll find out after church tomorrow. We are supposed to go visit dh's Aunt Laura (who had the stroke). She is in the rehab center 45 minutes from our house, so we'll pass a lot of gas stations along the way.

emmcee
09-13-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm good right now. Have about 3/4 of a tank. I hope Laura & Bobby get home tomorrow without too much fuss.

teabear
09-13-2008, 06:48 PM
I had no idea. Guess I'd better check out how much gas we have in the cars. I have to go down the hill tomorrow to teach my class.

CharityHand
09-13-2008, 06:53 PM
One or two stations ran out last night, but they were all up and running by mid morning. I happened upon the cheap station just as the tanker was pulling away with its shipment and got gas for $3.44/gallon and didn't have to wait in line for a pump. I did save 15 cents per gallon because I got the ultra wash with my purchase, but people across the street were still paying $3.99 and $4.29. I only put 10 gallons in and I stopped for gas only because I was down to about 75 more miles before empty. By the time I pulled out of the car wash, the station was filled with people lining up two or three cars per pump. This station must have had 20 pumps too.

People go crazy around here whenever the weather strikes. If we get 1/2 inch of snow in the weather prediction, the grocery store suddenly becomes a mad house and everyone buys up all the bread and batteries. I wish everyone would just chill out!

cindi
09-13-2008, 07:06 PM
I haven't seen any stations here run out. what a mess for you Sherri. I hope they get up and running, err...pumping soon
:)

Suzanne
09-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Yep. Most of the stations in our town and the next over are out. As a matter of fact I only saw 2 with gas out of probably a dozen I passes today. I was able to get some today but it had gone up from $3.43 to $4.09 in just 2 days and 2 hrs after I bought it was up to $4.19. I hope they can start deliveries again soon or I don't know what everyone here is going to do.

Paula Carden
09-13-2008, 08:42 PM
We have had a couple or so out -Enmark for one out all day yesterday and today and a couple of Exxon's but the others seem to have gotten shipments yesterday.
Both our cars are full and I have only a mile or 2 to go to work.
I guess I can walk if I have to-it sure would not hurt me.
When I was out early this am -people were out and about as usual.

Spartymom
09-13-2008, 08:44 PM
We went to an MSU football game today and drove an hour. This morning gas was 3.89! But, when we got done with the game it was 4.09-4.19! I have a 1/2 tank so didn't need to fill up. One gas station in our area was out of gas.

mydogstinks2
09-13-2008, 09:17 PM
I didn't even check. I hope not cause I'm gonna need gas for work on Monday.

Jarie
09-13-2008, 09:26 PM
I know one station was out yesterday afternoon. I stopped at a BP and they only accepted cash. I went to a Liberty and they took cc but not at the pump. I filled up. I paid $3.99 but yesterday saw it as high as $4.09. This evening coming home I saw a Chevron $3.83.

Robinkay
09-13-2008, 09:32 PM
I didn't even check. I hope not cause I'm gonna need gas for work on Monday.

Well you had enough gas today at the Hallmark store! :biglaugh: Oh you guys are talking about a different type of gas! :biglaugh:

midnitecreations
09-14-2008, 12:18 AM
When I was out this morning, it looked like everyone had gas and still at the same price as before. Hope it stays that way!

Sherry
09-14-2008, 06:46 AM
We didn't run out in NS, but our prices definitely reflect what ya'll are doing in the US. We're currently paying $1.46/Litre which is equal to $5.22/Gallon!!

Vintagegal
09-14-2008, 07:01 AM
We didn't run out in NS, but our prices definitely reflect what ya'll are doing in the US. We're currently paying $1.46/Litre which is equal to $5.22/Gallon!!

Oh.....that is THE pits!! But, I've heard on the radio that we could probably expect gas prices to be close to the $8 / gallon mark by the end of 2009. If that's the case, I'll need a part-time job on top of my full-time job just to pay for fuel.

Otherwise, why bother going to work? If all of my money is being sucked up paying for fuel, then, why bother? I'd rather just open up a daycare at my house and not have to commute anywhere.

emmcee
09-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Whew! $5.22 a gallon.....

I have a friend who lives here in Lexington and she said yesterday she went to several stations before she found any gas....

Hope Bobby & Laura get home today without any problems.

Paula Carden
09-14-2008, 07:56 AM
We had to pay 4.89 Friday for gas (that is my normal day to get gas) so we're not far behind our Canadian friends, but I noticed yesterday am it came down a little-since we were on CNN and people were complaining.
We do still have a few stations that are out.

ctinyjoy
09-14-2008, 10:11 AM
I just went out this morning for gas as I was down to 1/2. I was very pleasantly surprised that all the stations near our home have plenty of gas and they only went up .02 per gallon!

loobylou
09-14-2008, 10:37 AM
I am very uneducated about this- WHY is the price of fuel going up, and places running out?
Do you think it will happen in the rest of the world too? I think my gas comes from the middle east, not Texas,(yes, I know it is something about Texas!) but I can't be sure.

iloveflipflops
09-14-2008, 10:45 AM
We had a long discussion about this yesterday before our soccer game and apparently us in North Carolina get MOST of our gas from the Texas oil refineries and because of the hurricane out there, people here freaked out and went to fill up their gas tanks. Now I blame partly the media here in Charlotte because they printed an article in Friday's paper saying if we had to get gas that certain stations were limited gas fill-ups to only 10 gallons. Well, my van takes 20 some gallons so of course, people panicked and went to fill up. Even if they didnt' need gas they rushed to the gas stations to fill up and boy did they ever! Lines were unbelieveable. 20 cars deep in some gas stations when normally some were none. Then, the gas stations saw that and said "hey let's raise our prices to make money" so they did that and that made people get even more nervous. There is an illegal thing Sarah called "price gouging". Gas stations are NOT ALLOWED to raise their prices during a hurricane just to make money and IMO this is what they did. They will be investigated but how long will that take as they ALL did it around here. It just makes me so mad. Did this help answer your question?

mahodgman
09-14-2008, 11:56 AM
I've been sick for the past week and not really keeping up on the storms and train wreck, etc. So, I just went to http://autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx?zip=&src=Netx to check out the gas prices around here, and we are normal. I guess it is an east coast thing due to the storms. People do go crazy sometimes, don't they?

Kreative Dryve
09-14-2008, 12:13 PM
I agree with Mary, this might be just an east coast thing.
Here in my little town, gas is going down I am paying 3.71/gallon
but we also have 2 or more refineries in our state and I was told by
one of my friends who owns a local gas station we get our oil from
Canada. I hope all this stuff blows over soon, that would be very scary to deal with
since my state is so huge.

directmailscrapper
09-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Gas went up about $.20 this week -- but no one seems to be out of it. We are paying about $3.79/gallon regular...

maxiesmom
09-14-2008, 12:51 PM
On Monday I paid 3.58 ay Sam's Club which was a little cheaper than elsewhere. Since Friday, at least, it has been 4.19 around here. We were told before Ike hit that the refineries/oil rigs have been shut down since Gustave and they were remaining closed with Ike coming. Maybe it's just the oil rigs that have been shut down. Apparently here in Michigan we get some of our gas from TX too since we are always effected when there is a hurricane.