PDA

View Full Version : My soon-to-be 14 yo son is going to apply for a job.....

Vintagegal
09-17-2008, 11:27 AM
The school counselors are speaking to all of the 8th graders about local businesses who are allowed (by law) to hire 14-year-olds to do some work for them. My son asked us last night if we would allow him to apply, and my husband and I think this is a wonderful opportunity.

He's going to apply at Fareway grocery store, which is one mile from our house. We've agreed that he can work a maximum of eight hours per week, since school work will still be his top priority. Plus, he's joined the book club and wants to play basketball this winter.

The counselors are going to make the job applications available soon. He'll learn to fill one out. Then, he's supposed to talk to his teachers and ask them for letters of recommendation. My husband and I think it's terrific because he'll learn the process of seeking out a job opportunity; building a support network (references, etc.), applying, and possibly interviewing for a job (just like adults do. LOL!) We told him that there is a chance he may not be called for an interview, but not to be disappointed in himself.

If he gets the job, he'll be paid minimum wage. He'll help with bagging groceries and taking them out to people's cars (which I'm not 100% keen about). They will not be allowed to work during December, January and February due to the biting cold temperatures. I think there are labor laws protecting kids his age from working in certain conditions. But, otherwise, he can work October, November, and then start again in the Spring when the weather warms up again.

Isn't this the coolest? I told him that if he gets the job, and he does it well, he'll have a 'leg-up' when he turns 16 years old and he's competing against other 16 year olds who may not have any job experience, and are applying for the first time.

(Crossing my fingers).........

OH...and I wanted to add that after he talked to us about it, I got misty-eyed in the bedroom because it hit me that my baby (and I only have one child) is growing up, and growing up too fast.

flyingflower
09-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Wowie zowie, that is KEWL!

irishchristine
09-17-2008, 11:38 AM
We hire 14 years olds at the pizzeria. they can't use knives to cut pies but they are great for doing the dishes, making boxes, running register and topping pizzas! I think they can't work past 9 pm also.

irishchristine
09-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I forgot to say good luck! LOL

My3Ds
09-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Congrats on his wanting to get a job. He'll learn so many lessons. Good luck to him and you.

cecescraps
09-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Great pts in there Ethel about all the positives he'll gain from the experience. Good luck to him. Also, just curious, do you have a plan for how to handle his $$ if he's get the job?? Will you have him put some percentage in a savings acct or something?? Merritt does a lot of babysitting and I find she has too much $$ to spend on "silly" stuff so, we've started making her put around half into a savings acct.

Vintagegal
09-17-2008, 12:09 PM
Great pts in there Ethel about all the positives he'll gain from the experience. Good luck to him. Also, just curious, do you have a plan for how to handle his $$ if he's get the job?? Will you have him put some percentage in a savings acct or something?? Merritt does a lot of babysitting and I find she has too much $$ to spend on "silly" stuff so, we've started making her put around half into a savings acct.

Lucas is not a big spender, but when he spends, he spends on "pricey" stuff like his video games. He tends to put money away more than spend it. Our rule of thumb is to 'invest' at least 15 - 25 percent each month. My husband and I do that with our own paychecks. We have investments in retirement accounts and for Lucas' college fund. So, we've been trying to instill this in our son. Another way we've shared with him is to donate 10% to a worthy cause, spend 40% on frivolous stuff (he is a teenager, after all), and then save the remaining 50%. Who knows what he'll do.

We set up a money market account for him when he was eight. It earns more than a regular savings account. Hopefully, he'll make 'wise' choices, but ultimately, it'll be his choice on what he wants to do with his money.

I don't mind buying him a 'pricey' item once in a while, but I'm not the type to dole out money for video games all the time. One new game every four months is way more than enough, as far as I'm concerned. Now, he can spend the money he earns on that stuff.

jazzypurple853
09-17-2008, 12:10 PM
I too agree that it's a great learning experience.

logcabincreations
09-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Teaching our children a good work ethic is one of the most important things in parenting I believe. My boys have worked in our family business since they were small. The experience will really benefit him later in life. In my county students have to have a work permit if they are under a certain age; does your son need one?

tojoco
09-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Wow that's fantastic. Good luck Lucas. Let us know how it all turns out.

Vintagegal
09-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Teaching our children a good work ethic is one of the most important things in parenting I believe. My boys have worked in our family business since they were small. The experience will really benefit him later in life. In my county students have to have a work permit if they are under a certain age; does your son need one?

Yep. He will need one.

Wow that's fantastic. Good luck Lucas. Let us know how it all turns out.

Thanks, Joanne. I called the grocery store where he wants to work, and right now, they're not hiring ANYBODY at all. The manager told me they've cut back on hiring because of the slow economy (plus they're competing with two large grocery stores in our area, including a Super Walmart).

We're going to go and pick up an application, anyway. It wouldn't hurt to apply. Lucas said he wants to check out other businesses, also, and see if they're hiring.

Firecracker
09-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I can't believe Lucas is old enough for a job! It is definitely a good opportunity for him. I wish him well. Please keep us updated. Hugs, Heather

loobylou
09-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Ethel, you should be proud that Lucas wants to work. At that age, we have to look out for their rights, cos they are mostly not aware of them. You are probably safe if you are dealing with big business.
My 14 yr old son got a job in the Fish and chip shop (private business) for a while, but I wasn't entirely happy with her business practices, His shift on a friday night (the busiest in Fish and Chip shops here) was 5 til 8.30. They rarely finished before 9, but she would only pay until 8.30, saying it was their fault if they didn't work fast enough to clean up in time.
She also docked 3 staff members wages when the cash register was short (TOTALLY against the law). I rang the union to get advice, and told her she had broken the law (my son wasn't one who had his wages garnished- but it upset me). My son quit shortly after that- and I was glad!

Jarie
09-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Ethel,

Good luck to Lucas on getting a job.

directmailscrapper
09-17-2008, 09:57 PM
I think this is TERRIFIC! Emily is already hoping that she can get a job at our local Rita's Ice when she turns 14. (She told me that she hopes she can work 2 hours a day -- HA!) I think it's important for kids to work -- hopefully they find the right job where the employer treats kids with respect and helps them develop a healthy work ethic! Good luck on his job hunt -- keep us posted!

GSMom385
09-17-2008, 09:59 PM
That is cool Ethel, of course I am jealous that Fareway gets him instead of us, we are always looking for good kids. Just thought I would add, there aren't any laws about weather that I know of, so that must be a Fareway thing, we try to make sure our kids get 15 out and 15 in rotating when the weather is icky so nobody gets too cold or wet. There are lots of laws regarding 14 year olds. Mostly in regards to when they can work, what they can do, and what hours of the day or night they can do it, they should explain all of that to him when he goes for training.

Don't worry too much about him going to people's cars, stores have someone in charge that keeps an eye on all the carry outs, I'm sure Fareway is the same way, they use to call them swing men when I price checked them, but not sure what they call them now, so it is pretty safe. Tell him to be careful of his tie and apron in the car doors and trunks, that will be his biggest hazard. If they don't provide an apron with velcro at the neck make sure you fix that for him, cut the strap and add velcro at the neck, so if it ever does get caught in a car he can just rip it off in one tug. Carry out will be better than a pick up lane like we have, aprons and ties scare the pants off of me. People might think I am crazy but I always talk to them about it so they are careful.

Tell him good luck for me!!

maxiesmom
09-17-2008, 10:21 PM
That's cool, I hope Lucas gets the job. A little pocket change is never a bad thing. My brother worked as a dishwasher at a local banquet hall where his slightly older friend worked when he was about that age. And he's been working ever since! No moss grows on my brother!

As long as he doesn't spend it at Hollister! hehehe

midnitecreations
09-18-2008, 09:29 AM
good luck to Lucas getting a job. As you said, it won't hurt him to try out the process and hopefully be lucky and find a job too. Your work ethics and savings are obviously rubbing off on Lucas and that's a fantastic thing. And Yes, kids grow up way too quickly!