PDA

View Full Version : Please say a prayer for my DH and a family friend *updated*

Vintagegal
09-21-2008, 05:55 PM
My husband is on the road, at this very moment, to Kansas City, KS. While it's just a three hour drive, I still get nervous when he's on the road. He'll be there for three days, returning Wednesday night. He's got a conference to attend at Fort Leavenworth.

Also, please say a prayer for our friends, Dana and JD. Dana has advance-stage Multple Sclerosis, and she cannot get around without JD"s help. JD had surgery two weeks ago on two discs on his spine. One disc was acting like a sponge and it sucked up another disc and shrunk it. JD had surgery to correct it, but it ended up with complications. So, he's been in traction for the past week and is in a lot of pain.

Well, Dana's mom came down to help Dana and bring her to the hospital, but mom is leaving tomorrow morning. Dana will not have anybody to help her, or bring her to the hospital. My husband will take Dana to see JD on Tuesday afternoon, after his conference meeting is over for that day, and spend the evening with them. JD will be in traction for the next five weeks.

I don't know who will take over, after Sean (my DH) leaves. I don't know if their friends have time to help Dana around the house or even help her move about. She literally cannot walk without help. She has problems wrapping her fingers around a fork and feed herself. I don't know if she has other family to come out to help. What makes it worse is Dana's sister also has MS. (I didn't make this up). Dana's mom had to fly back to Michigan because Dana's sister depends on mom to take care of her.

Please say a prayer for them both. They could really use it now. Thanks, ladies. I truly believe in the power of prayer.

cindi
09-21-2008, 06:16 PM
wow Ethel how sad for dana not to know whi is going to be there to help her. There must be programs of assistence isn't there?
I will certainly send up prayers for your hubby and friends
:)

dreis1
09-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Maybe her Dr can suggest some programs that assist people in temporary need of help. Our prayers are with them all. I know first hand what it means to depend on others for help. I would not be able to live alone if DH was not here. I would have to go to my DDs and stay with her. Glinda

tojoco
09-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Couldn't they get a nurse to stay with them temporarily

ellie
09-21-2008, 08:11 PM
I will be praying Ethel.

Vintagegal
09-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Couldn't they get a nurse to stay with them temporarily

Sean just spoke with Dana when he arrived in KC. JD was transferred to a rehab facility, but they soon discovered they couldn't support him and his needs. JD has been transferred back to the hospital. Dana continues to rely on friends for transportation. I guess she stays all day at the hospital. The nurses at the hospital have been nice enough to help her, also.

JD has to stay at the hospital for the five weeks. Thank goodness the Air Force is paying for this. The nurses at the hospital are caring for JD. I don't think Dana has anybody helping her at home, though. I guess friends drop by once in a while, but I'm not sure if she has anyone for the next five weeks.

Trishlvscards
09-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Wow that is a lot to handle. I will say prayers for all.

logcabincreations
09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Do they have a church family? what about asking Dept. of Social Services if there are any programs that might be able to help? they are in my prayers.

Vintagegal
09-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Sean just called me. He had just helped Dana get into her friend's car. Her friend is driving her home. JD was almost in a coma last week. His oxygen had dropped down to 67.

Dana's family and JD's family are rotating turns with coming down and caring for them. Close family friends are also traveling from out of state to care for them both. Dana is hating this as much as she appreciates it. With the MS, she is vulnerable, and she does not like having to depend on others. I can understand this because she really is dependent on anyone who can help her. Her source of strength (JD) cannot help her, and this is upsetting her greatly.

JD will be in traction for another 12 weeks. Holy cow! He is still "touch-and-go." They're trying to get him to be well enough to be transferred to a rehab facility.

I don't know about getting a nurse. If anything, Dana is the one who needs a nurse. JD's just lying motionless, really. Dana is the one who needs help moving around the home and just help, in general. I wish they lived closer. I would drive an hour each day to help them.

cindi
09-23-2008, 10:28 PM
I hope they can find the help they need. sounds like they need an in home nurses aid ( is that what you call them) Gary's mom used to do that and it was a great help to Estelle..the lady that needed help.
I wil pray they get the help they need.
:)

logcabincreations
09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Still praying....what a difficult situation.

midnitecreations
09-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Wow Ethel. What a mess of a situation. Sending prayers.