PDA

View Full Version : If you have sold your cards before...

GSMom385
10-11-2008, 09:15 PM
If you have sold your cards before can you give me your thoughts and advice. My friend started up an internet company site that allows artists to market their items via the web. I bumped into her at my real job and she suggested I try selling some of my stuff. I am totally crafty all the time with lots of things, knitting, crochet, needlework of all kinds, and of course stamping. I have NEVER thought about selling any of it for actual money. I give most of my stuff away for gifts, and it is more therapy for me to relief the stress from my real job. This gal used to hold the same job I do and she quit because of the stress and to stay home with her girls. I made lots of things for her little ones while we worked together, so she is familar with my work. I wish I could say I wasn't jealous of her but I am and now it is nagging at me....could I sell my stuff. I would love the whole work at home thing, I live for my flex time when I can work on stuff at home. Let's not get crazy here I am not going to quit my job, but I was just curious if anyone has had good luck doing anything like that and if you have suggestions of good items or things to watch for or stay away from. I know several do the craft shop circuit and I honestly don't want to get into to that as I don't find it fun to do the acutal sale part, but this internet thing seems pretty easy and I could probably handle that. It has a pretty low commission too, and they handle all the taxes and that type of stuff so it seems like a no brainer to use her site if I do it. Of DH says...OH yeah right when are you going to have time for this adventure, which is true somewhat.

Vintagegal
10-11-2008, 10:15 PM
I've seen people sell their cards on their blog. They do up their blog really, really nice, and adverstise which artwork is for sale. If you'd like, you could market your cards both on your blog and on your friend's website. It would be nice if your friend could let you update your items "for sale" on her website, with a "Sold" sign, if it sells from your blog.

Just a thought. The only time I've sold cards was at a craft fair.

GotCats?
10-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Hmmm. I've had some experience. I've sold cards through a regular customer I have (who marks them up and resells them), also at a flower shop and now I have an internet site for my stamps (not selling cards on it though).

Just a caution: Yes, it is loads of fun, but you'll never "make money" cause the time you put into things is never paid back. Second, Others might not see your stuff the same way as you do. I was always SO EXCITED when something would sell.....But I can tell you I haven't had a re-order from my regular customer almost all year, and the cards I had at the flower shop moved so slowly that I finally pulled them all out of there. It wasn't worth the time I had to spend checking up on them.

If you make the stuff anyway, then "why not"? sell them!!! Just don't put too much emotion into it in case it doesn't sell right away.

And one more caution: Remember what you bring in is "income" and needs to be claimed as such on taxes. however, if you save all the receipts you have from craft supplies (I had loads of those) and can show that you put out more than you bring in, they term it a "hobby" and you don't get taxed for it. But the second you say you are in it to make money they tax you. After a while I spent more time adding receipts and doing paperwork then I did making cards! That doesn't even come close to the amount of paperwork that I have to keep track of NOW with my "in it for profit" stamp business.

Some pros and cons for you to think about...Hope I didn't rain on your parade too much.....But I never had an avenue like yours that would really attract people specifically looking for crafty items. You might do really well! Keep your receipts!!!!

GSMom385
10-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks Tricia & Ethel!! All good thoughts. I had no illusions of quitting my day job. I just thought it might be sort of fun to see what it did or didn't do. I am well aware you put more time into things than you will get paid back. My mom quilts and never gets paid what she should for the hours she spends on stuff. She has a good saying however that I like.... there will be lots of little pieces of me around when I am gone for people to remember me by.... and that is so true.

I already do the receipt thing as I am a "hobby" demo already. The site handles the sales tax, so I wouldn't have to mess with that, which I think would be a pain at craft shows.

Maybe I will give it try on a few things, what the heck, it can't hurt anything.

cindi
10-13-2008, 11:07 PM
good luck Cindy!! I hope you do great!
:)

GotCats?
10-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Go for it! I always recommend that someone TRY something, rather than wonder "what if". My advice was just a caution. But I 100% think you should get in there! I love the philosophy of the "little piecces of me all over". Hahaha!!!