PDA

View Full Version : Crockpot Newbie with a question.

Sherry
11-06-2008, 07:15 AM
I never use the crockpot. In fact, I think I have used one only once in my 16 years of marriage. I was scanning through all the wonderful recipes you guys are posting and they sound so good! I can no longer resist!

I am trying IMBlessed5's 'Working Woman's Pot Roast' today so I dug out my slow cooker, washed the mounds of dust off, and am all ready to go. BUT, I have a couple of questions first.

The recipe calls for a can Cream of Mushroom Soup. I have Campbells Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup. Do I just dump that in as is or should I add a full can of water so that the soup is 'prepared'?

Also, can I add veggies or is this roast better cooked alone?

Thanks so much for helping out this crock pot newbie!!

Suzanne
11-06-2008, 07:31 AM
I use my crockpot all the time as a matter of fact I just got a new one.

I would say you are suppose to just dump the soup in. The recipe probably calls for water or some other liquid to be added too doesn't it?

I don't know anything about this recipe though. When I cook a roast I just put it in the crock with a little bit of water set it on low and let it cook till done.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Vintagegal
11-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Sherry, don't add more liquid than the recipe calls for. 100% of the time, if you've got meat, soup and vegetables in a crockpot recipe, the liquid from these ingredients will increase during the cooking period.

If you're going to add vegetables, and if you have a 5qt or larger slow cooker, I would add (perhaps) some chopped celery (two stalks is plenty); one small onion, chopped, and two carrots, chopped. I would only do this if the volume of your meat is three pounds or less. Otherwise, your crock pot will be too full.

workin4stamps
11-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Sherry....I'm not familiar with this particular recipe, but I think the general rule of thumb for vegetables is to add them later. I've heard to add them like a couple of hours before you're going to be ready to eat.

With that said, I'm SURE that I have added some in the morning before.....they are just usually REALLY cooked! But I tend to like mine that way, so........

Vintagegal
11-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Tracy is right (as far as adding veggies later). If you're going to add the onions, I would add them at the same time as the meat. The celery and carrots can come in during the second-to-the-last hour of cooking (if you're cooking on high heat for four hours or less); or in the last third-to-the-last hour of cooking (if you're cooking on low heat for 8 - 10 hours).

Sherry
11-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks so much, ladies! I've got my roast on as we speak. Now, I'm off to clean the house...

Womens work is never done.

Robinkay
11-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Sherry, I just love my slow cooker. It is so nice to come home after working all day to a house filled with the smell of dinner all ready for you. I'm sure everyone will just love it!

IMBlessed5
11-06-2008, 09:21 AM
oooo let me know how your family liked it Sherry! We love it!

And they are right - just dump the condensed soup in as is - no other liquid besides the tad bit of worcestershire sauce.

I've never added veggies to that particular recipe, but with other roasts I have added baby carrots on the bottom, then chunked potatoes, then meat, then sliced onions on top. All at the same time. But my roast is usually not more than 3 - 4 pounds.

scrappinnuts
11-06-2008, 09:36 AM
This is just what I learned about Adding Veggies to a crockpot... when you are cooking a roast put the hard Veggies...Like Carrots and potatos under the roast...also you can cook those veggies a bit in the microwave before you put them in the crockpot... carrots and potatos have a tendency to stay a bit hard. I tried this recently with a beef burgandy sauce and the Potatos and carrots came out wonderful. I hope you enjoy your Roast.

loobylou
11-06-2008, 09:44 AM
it's nearly midnight here and you are all making me hungry! I'm going to bed before I'm tempted to have a midnight feast.

Christie
11-06-2008, 10:02 AM
I always add veggies to my roast when I'm cooking one. I don't add them until about three hours before it's done though.

Jovi
11-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Oh goodie, I'm so happy that I stumbled upon this thread. I'm making roast for this evening, I usually do it with potatoes and carrots. I'm ready to try something new and I just happen to have all the ingredients on hand.

On another note... when I make roast with potatoes and carrots I add them first and then place the roast on top. Since we're high altitude here in Colorado our potatoes and carrots take forever to cook.

Thanks Sherry for posting and thanks Vicki the recipe. ;)

Sherry
11-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I have to tell you guys, I have the most wonderful aroma wafting through my house. I cannot wait for dinner tonight!!

DH came home for lunch and asked what smelled so good. I'm hoping the pot roast tastes as good as it smells!! MMmmmmm.

My3Ds
11-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Okay - I need to blow the dust off my crock pot too. We got it as a wedding gift 21 years ago and doubt it has been used more then 2 or 3 times. I just never know what kind of meat to buy. I'm not a big meat eater and that makes it hard to pick out a piece of meat at the store. It all looks soooooooo gross. ha.

IMBlessed5
11-06-2008, 12:24 PM
I have the most wonderful aroma wafting through my house
OMG, yes it smells soooooo yummy! That is the truth!

Like others have mentioned, I learned a long time ago to always put carrots and potatoes on the bottom.

I used my small crockpot (1 quart I think?) for a chip dip recipe yesterday that was delish!!! (if you like taco-type dips)

1 can refried beans
1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (we like black bean and corn salsa)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Cook until all heated through, serve with tortilla chips. YUM!