PDA

View Full Version : Remember Viki's Magazine Scam?

mahodgman
03-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Do you remember Viki's magazine scam back in November? Here is the thread:
http://stamp-shack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28627&highlight=magazine

It isn't the same company or the same story, but I think I just got rid of a similar magazine scammer. He was a very nice, well-spoken young man who said he was completing his Job Corps assignment to earn points or something. He also said he wanted to audition for American Idol, and he even sang us a very nice song. Well, DH (Mr. from the east coast suspisious of everyone and everything) let him in the house and asked me to talk to him because DH was getting the coals ready for dinner. Anyway, he was here for quite awhile, and I was going to order two different magazines from him; Cardmaker and Woodworker's Journal until he wrote out the receipt and told me the price. It was $95 total! I'm like uh oh, no way, and all the red flags and bells started going off. DH was back in the room by then, and I told him no way are we going to buy these magazines, and the kid then starts to negotiate the price. I said no, you can't negotiate the price of a subscription with a publisher, and this is all way to fishy to me....sorry. I then left the room and let DH get rid of him. I was remembering Viki's story, and came here to find the post. I suppose I will feel bad if I actually see this guy on AI next season, but I don't think so!

tesschap
03-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Sounds fishy to me. I wouldn't have bought from him either.

IMBlessed5
03-07-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm so glad you didn't do it! I'm surprised your DH let him in the house LOL!

I'm STILL fighting with mine. I did finally get a magazine on January 15 (I ordered last Septemeber 20) but it was the WRONG magazine. I've stayed on top of it and documented my conversations every time I've called. I finally got a letter last Monday stating that the magazine we wanted is no longer available through their publisher. Surprise, surprise! They enclosed a list of mags to choose from and said to pick a 2nd subscription free as an apology. I emailed our choices to them and asked for a confirmation but have not heard back. I plan on calling them this Monday. I just talked to my neighbor yesterday and she finally got a magazine too but it didn't sound like a familiar title to her. She hadn't gotten out her receipt to check for sure though.

Our subscription was $40 for 2 years I think it was. So yeah I can see how 2 mags would run you about $95 if each sub. varies - there is NO way I would do that! I posted about it on SCS and heard all kinds of horror stories and scam lines - it's crazy!

Vintagegal
03-08-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm glad you listened to your gut instincts on this one. He sure sounded like a scam artist.

logcabincreations
03-08-2009, 08:15 AM
boy you just can't trust anyone anymore....and the scam artists are getting more and more clever.

scraphappy908
03-08-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm sure glad you didn't fall for that. $95 is just way too much for two magazines even at news stand price. I get one or two of these guys every spring. Thanks for bringing this up, I'll be on the look out!

Nancy
03-08-2009, 10:05 AM
I have come to the point that magazine publishers are no different, I subscribed and then they went out of business and chose to send me a magazine they thought I would like, well, from now on if I want a magazine, I'll buy it at Barnes and Noble or go to the library to read it. If an article suits me, I'll copy it.- Nancy

teabear
03-08-2009, 11:31 AM
All I can say is don't ever let a stranger into your home. The red flags and bells are going off. Yikes. So glad nothing bad happened.

mahodgman
03-08-2009, 11:58 AM
All I can say is don't ever let a stranger into your home. The red flags and bells are going off. Yikes. So glad nothing bad happened.

Amen! I am still in shock that DH let him in. That is not his normal behavior at all. I guess the guy made him feel comfortable or something.