PDA

View Full Version : Lets pump up our creativity together

Erin K
10-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Ok, I know everyone has times when they just can't get the creative juices flowing. (gee I hope it's not just me!) Lets all help each other out by sharing our tips as to what we do to get going again.

One thing I do is take out a stack of stamps and make myself make one project with each. I just start with the top one and make a card, then move right on. I try to do it quickly too so I don't think too much. Usually I feel better after even if I'm not in love with all the outcomes. (this is why I made the queen of hearts, alien and cow cards today)

So what do you do? Share so next time I'm stumped I have something different to try. :)

Caboverde1
10-21-2006, 04:04 PM
What gets me goin is when I go in my studio and start looking around on the internet and start looking at other folks stuff...It makes me want to "rise to the occasion". Some of my best work happened after somebody on two peas posts a really cool card or page! I like challenges to...

Tonii

lost luggage
10-21-2006, 05:30 PM
What do I do? Not much...lol

On the PCMB, I read through the swaps...I get ideas from the topics people post. What gets me thinking is how to participate in something without spending any money (which almost NEVER works...I always start the idea, a crazier idea comes into my head and then I am down at Michael's spending 50 bucks..)

There you have it....a glimpse into the unorganized, uncontrollable mind of Just Julie ;)

cindi
10-21-2006, 05:36 PM
my magazines and cardmaking books. Usually does the trick for me!:)

Christie
10-21-2006, 05:52 PM
through my magazines or on the internet. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. If it doesn't then I just go in my craft room and make myself do something. Usually if I start, even without having an idea in mind, then it all comes togther.
Christie

dgbearsmom
10-21-2006, 06:09 PM
What do I do? Not much...lol

I always start the idea, a crazier idea comes into my head and then I am down at Michael's spending 50 bucks..)

I'm right there with ya! I'll see a swap and think - hey I got the stuff to do that. Then I end up deciding I don't want to do what I can do without buying anyting. I have at 20,000 sheets of paper (well not really - a lot anyway) and I always end up buying different paper for what I want to do.

I get inspiration from looking at other people's work here and other places. I also look at a lot of magazines and books. I never copy something exactly, but the design gives me a place to start. I usually end up doing it a little differenty to make it mine. I also like to take bits and pieces of different designs to come up with something new. And I get a lot of inspiration from places like ads, web site designs, etc.

Judy

jdpisces
10-21-2006, 06:36 PM
I literally sit in my stamp room and stare at different sheets of paper. Once I find some paper that I am really inspired by, I go over to my rubber stamps and stare at them. This will generally spark some ideas for me and then I am off creating!

Magazines (I have a TON) are also a really big inspiration for me too.

Julie

iloveflipflops
10-21-2006, 06:39 PM
at this "approach" that you do. I can just picture you now, staring at your paper, staring at your stamps ... ha ha Sorry but I am still laughing... as long as it works, right ? :)

jdpisces
10-21-2006, 06:41 PM
at this "approach" that you do. I can just picture you now, staring at your paper, staring at your stamps ... ha ha Sorry but I am still laughing... as long as it works, right ? :)
I know, Sherri! I TOLD you it was crazy. But whatever works. No wonder I don't create as much as all of you! :)

Julie

tojoco
10-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Here's what I do: I get on the internet and click on the galleries of some of our best websites: SCS, PC, SS, TwoPs, etc. Then I click on some of the cards and stare and read about how it was made, then I'll click on another and then another and then another and before you know it, I've been clicking on my keyboard for hours and I've got so many thoughts and ideas swirling in my head that absolutely nothing gets created. LOL

I need classes!!!!!

GrammaStamper
10-21-2006, 07:07 PM
I really like looking at the Joy of Card Making books and checking out the recipes. I have trouble with balance on card fronts, so the recipes really help me. I also like that website that has the 'maps'. They are recipes, too. Then, I pick one I like and go from there. Based on the recipe, I decide if the stamp should be whimisical or more elegant. Hope this helps somebody.

mydogstinks2
10-21-2006, 07:31 PM
I look through some of the piles of mags. I have laying around. If that dosen't work I just jump in head first and start working! MOst of the time an idea will come to me.

Chris

teabear
10-21-2006, 07:51 PM
This is the method that works best for me. I try to focus on one thing at a time, like I'll pick one swap or one challenge and let it mull in my mind. I look at my stamps & paper (like Julie) and lay out a few things I think will work. Then I just let it lay in my mind for a while. I take a break, go for a walk, or do something non-creative. Most of the time, I think about it and go to bed thinking about it. Usually, when I wake up, if I can lay in bed for a bit without doing anything, it comes to me. I get up lots of mornings and head straight to my stamps. Now, Sherri, don't laugh at me too :) LOL

Erin K
10-21-2006, 08:48 PM
I literally sit in my stamp room and stare at different sheets of paper. Once I find some paper that I am really inspired by, I go over to my rubber stamps and stare at them. This will generally spark some ideas for me and then I am off creating!

Magazines (I have a TON) are also a really big inspiration for me too.

Julie

Get outta town! I do this too! That's how I get the pile of stamps I work with, I hold one up and see if it "speaks" to me, then either put it in one pile or put it back. Then I see if any of my paper seems to want to get along with the stamps. I try to let the ones who want to play nice get out and play. :)

stampcrazyjulie
10-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Joanne....you read my thoughts completely! OMG, that is so me....As you can see, I am sitting here now cruising website galleries...I have tons of magazines too....LOL!

iloveflipflops
10-21-2006, 09:55 PM
HA HA

I just don't do this. I do not stare at my stamps or my paper. I really don't know what I do now. I will have to make a mental note the next time I feel a creative urge coming on and make notes of what I do so you all can laugh at me. lol

mahodgman
10-22-2006, 11:15 AM
If I am totally stuck, I will copy a card I've seen in a mag or on line. More often then not I don't copy it exactly. This ususally gets me going and my crativity kicks into gear to take me beyond copying.

Alli
10-23-2006, 03:43 PM
If I'm really stuck, I look online for a challenge or technique that I want to try but haven't. The last time I got a really bad block, I tried a waterfall card and the card I came up with was the waterfall card that you can see in my gallery. :)
I can't do the staring at my stamps or paper thing. I just stare at them. :D
I also can't look at stamping magazines, I end up just reading magazines all afternoon! :D
So maybe have a look in our weekly challenge thread and try one of the old challenges, you could have fun, learn something and come up with a fantastic card!