PDA

View Full Version : I need a recipe too: Mac and Cheese??

GotCats?
07-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Anyone have a tried and true recipe? I had one once, but I really didn't care for it...

I'm sure I'm posting in the right place! You gals haven't failed me yet for anything I have needed!!

suzi_f
07-15-2009, 08:51 PM
1 box of cooked Rotinin, 1lb of velveta, 1/4lb butter. Chop butter & velveta, bake w/mac for about 1/2 to 45 minutes, stir often. My mother's is better but my family won't eat it (too wet??? how can mac & cheese be too wet). It has white sauce & bread crumbs. YUM!!!

cindi
07-15-2009, 09:08 PM
I make mine the old fashioned way, and It's yummy
1 box macaroni
2Tbsp butter
2Tbsp flour
2 cups milk
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
make a roux (sp?) by melting butter, then add flour stir to make paste, add milk and stir until it just boils. remove from heat and stir in cheese til it melts. while doing this cook and drain macaroni. mix cheese sauce and macaroni together. place in a baking dish. At this point you can just bake it or add buttered bread crumbs to the top. bake about 30 minutes at 350.
enjoy!

Also, this freezes well, which is good, because it makes a ton, so I just freeze single servings after the main meal.

enjoy!
:)

Mrs. Fence
07-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I make mine like Cindi does, but just use all different kinds of cheese. I always add some mozzerella. It seems like it's always good when I add mozzerella!

cindi
07-15-2009, 09:12 PM
I make mine like Cindi does, but just use all different kinds of cheese. I always add some mozzerella. It seems like it's always good when I add mozzerella!

yes, Tracey..I agree, and to be honest I usually stop by the deli at the grocery store and see what they have for cheap cheese ends before I make my mac & cheese. I like to save a buck ya know

Mrs. Fence
07-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Yup, me too! They aren't as cheap as they used to be. Bummer.

cindi
07-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Yup, me too! They aren't as cheap as they used to be. Bummer.

ya, I know..whats up with that?? Mom said to check Bells in Orono, they still have good deals

Mrs. Fence
07-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Maybe I'll go there tomorrow. I'm taking my mom to her house for the day...

shuggy
07-15-2009, 09:31 PM
what are cheese ends?

Mrs. Fence
07-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Cheese ends are literally the end of the chunk of cheese. It gets too small to slice, so they package the ends up and you can buy them cheaper.

suzi_f
07-15-2009, 11:13 PM
I make mine the old fashioned way, and It's yummy
1 box macaroni
2Tbsp butter
2Tbsp flour
2 cups milk
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
make a roux (sp?) by melting butter, then add flour stir to make paste, add milk and stir until it just boils. remove from heat and stir in cheese til it melts. while doing this cook and drain macaroni. mix cheese sauce and macaroni together. place in a baking dish. At this point you can just bake it or add buttered bread crumbs to the top. bake about 30 minutes at 350.
enjoy!

Also, this freezes well, which is good, because it makes a ton, so I just freeze single servings after the main meal.

enjoy!

That's apx my mom's recipie. I'm hungry now!!!

GotCats?
07-16-2009, 06:33 AM
YUM, thanks Cindi!! I'm gonna try that one, and I'll look for the cheese booties.....

teabear
07-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Jennifer, inkinupstamps, has the best mac and cheese recipe. It's very similar to Cindi's recipe. My family adores it. Where are you Jennifer?

logcabincreations
07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Jennifer, inkinupstamps, has the best mac and cheese recipe. It's very similar to Cindi's recipe. My family adores it. Where are you Jennifer?

I would like to see it :)

Christie
07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
I've never made mac anc cheese any way except from the box!!! I'll have to give Cindi's a try!!!

Christie
07-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Can you use shred cheese or should I buy the block kind?

cindi
07-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Can you use shred cheese or should I buy the block kind?

shredded is great, if you buy a block of cheese you will need to shred it yourself

Mrs. Fence
07-16-2009, 08:37 PM
shredded is great, if you buy a block of cheese you will need to shred it yourself
I don't shred mine, but cut it up in small cubes.

Christie
07-16-2009, 08:56 PM
I made it tonight. Nathan said it wasn't cheesy enough but I thought it was good!

cindi
07-16-2009, 09:04 PM
I made it tonight. Nathan said it wasn't cheesy enough but I thought it was good!

then next time try a sharper cheese, or like Tracey add a little mozzarella or even add a little more cheese, til you get it to your taste