PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to make old fashioned oatmeal?

Fief14
08-16-2009, 02:20 PM
We just spent the past week in Tennessee and I tried the hot oatmeal at the pancake house we went to everyday for breakfast. I loved it and would love to make it at home. It had a very creamy texture and was served with brown sugar and milk. Any ideas on how to make creamy oatmeal?

Far North
08-16-2009, 02:27 PM
I buy the Old Fashion Quaker Oats (not the quick variety) in the tall round cylinder and follow the microwave directions. They are great. Add a few chopped nuts or cranisins for variety.

limeyscrapper
08-16-2009, 02:31 PM
That's exactly how we like our oatmeal.
I buy the Quaker Oats, the original, not the fast cooking oats, but I make it with milk, not water, and leave it on the stove to simmer for an extra 5 minutes. The milk makes it creamy, and the extra cooking helps to improve the texture so that it is a little smoother.
Then we serve it on a dinner plate - not in a bowl - sprinkle with brown sugar and pour a milk "moat" around it. Mmm . . . delicious!
It's always been a family favourite.
There used to be a TV commercial for oatmeal in England, it was referred to as a breakfast that sticks to your ribs - in other words - it's a hearty breakfast that will last you awhile. My daughter, only 4 at the time, misunderstood and called it the breakfast that "sticks to your lungs", so it's always been something of a family joke.

limeyscrapper
08-16-2009, 02:33 PM
I guess we were typing our replies at the same time Jan. LOL.
Trust someone who hails from a cold climate to be able to make great oatmeal !

Paula Carden
08-16-2009, 03:12 PM
I buy the old fashion Quaker Oats too, I also cook it longer than the directions say too. I could eat it everyday even in the summer.

Mrs. Fence
08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
I love oatmeal, and always have some in the house! YUM!

maxiesmom
08-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Add me to the Quaker regular family, I even buy the big boxes of it at Costco. Make up a big batch at once, put it in Tupperware and then microwave as much as I want for breakfast, sometimes lunch too.
I second the craisins addition as well and I add cinnamon before eating it.

inkinupstamps
08-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Yep! Me too. Oatmeal (the slow cooking type) is my standard breakfast. I do as Jan does and throw in Craisins. The dogs like the too and oh so good for everyone.

CharityHand
08-17-2009, 08:06 AM
I like mine chewy, but have found that by cooking it a few minutes longer gets that creamy texture. When it's all done cooking, throw some frozen blueberries, butter and sugar in it. The frozen blueberries thaw quickly cooling it down at the same time. DH and I can eat it that way for dinner some nights we like it so much!

I even make some killer granola with my old fashioned oats too. Stir it up in apple cinnamon yogurt and it's delicious!