PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

loobylou
12-27-2009, 07:41 AM
I am having the best time these holidays reading. It's summer and I am enjoying sitting out by the pool, or lazing in bed a little longer reading my book. I am on my third novel in a week! I am on vacation for the next 6 weeks and would love to hear what everyone else is reading..
All suggestions appreciated (I don't do scary!)

pesc
12-27-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm not reading... because I just cannot stop when I start!! And well I cannot fall asleep at 4 AM and weak up to feed Sophie at 7h00!!! Have a fun time reading!

mydogstinks2
12-27-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm reading the new Dean Koontz book. I love all of his books. You don't do scary so he will not work for you. I can't remember the last book I read that was not scary.

Mrs. Middleton
12-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Nicholas Sparks.. anything by him.. his books are amazing!! i own all of them... they are love storys.. and they make you feel good inside... lol i love em!! were are u vacationing?

HeatherJ
12-27-2009, 10:03 AM
I am usually reading text and resource books the rest of the year, so was excited to get a chance to read for pleasure. I just finished "The Thriteenth Tale" and enjoyed it. Now off to raid DD's booksshelf. She has all the Jodi Picoult ones I want to squeeze in before break is over and reality sets in.

Christie
12-27-2009, 10:03 AM
I love Dean Koontz!!! He is scary so I don't think you would like him much.

Patty
12-27-2009, 12:29 PM
I am in the middle of a Koontz book. "From the Corner of his Eye". So far I don't see scary...but I'm only half way. This is my first book by him. My dd is addicted to him.

Jadyeebugsaunt
12-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Right now I(m reading New Moon, I know im late on this but I read Twilight way back when, then I got into Nora Roberts for awhile and love her. I read everything anything that sparks my interest.

Vintagegal
12-27-2009, 12:53 PM
I just finished reading "Night" by Elie Wiesel. I'm reading all of the books that are on my son's reading list for his English class. Anyway, I highly recommend "Night" to EVERYONE. I think it's one of those books that is required reading for all of humanity. It's a quick read (119 pages).

I am planning to read "The Shack" (yes, that is the name of the book) next.

mydogstinks2
12-27-2009, 12:59 PM
I almost picked up the shack the other day. You will have to let me know how it is.

morgainegeiser
12-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - by Steig Larseen - a mystery, but not scary. I love mysteries, but not scary books. Also, recently finished White Tiger (about India) and The Lace Reader.

3amnmmom
12-27-2009, 09:15 PM
I just got done reading a few weeks ago all of the Twilight series. The kids are reading them and I wanted to know what they were about. They were really good, I had no idea.

cindi
12-27-2009, 09:17 PM
first off let me say I like your new summer pic!!
ok, I'm reading a Nora Roberts novel..I LOVE her. I'm, reading the calhoun women. all her books are fun reads
:)

loobylou
12-28-2009, 07:47 AM
first off let me say I like your new summer pic!!
ok, I'm reading a Nora Roberts novel..I LOVE her. I'm, reading the calhoun women. all her books are fun reads
Cindi, I checked out the Nora Roberts books at the library...are they all about vampires?? I don't think they are my cup of tea at all.

I am just finishing Di Morrissey, "The islands" , about an Australian girl who marries a US navy officer stationed in Hawaii in the 1970s. I suppose it is a drama/love story, but also lots of historical/political stuff in there too. I like that sort of thing.

Next up I am going to read Bryce Courtenay "white thorn", set in Africa

Paula Carden
12-28-2009, 08:28 AM
I too wondered how "The Shack" would read.
I usually like to read Kathy Reichs and Patricia Cornwell-waiting on something new.

ccstampin12
12-28-2009, 11:55 AM
I am pretty hooked on Debbie Macomber books right now.
The Cedar Cove series is great!
I have 3 Jodi Picoult books waiting, and a couple of Sue Grafton books.
I think Nora Roberts writes romantic fiction...not scary stuff.
I need to figure out how to incorporate my reading, crafting and TV interests in my days!
Joanie

suzi_f
12-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Cindi, I checked out the Nora Roberts books at the library...are they all about vampires??

I've read a number of her books. They're ok but all the plots seem very similar but I've NEVER found a VAMPIRE book. I guess I missed that one.

I am pretty hooked on Debbie Macomber books right now. The Cedar Cove series is great! Joanie

I could never get "into" the Cedar Cove books. I don't know why but I just didn't like them. I can't even rememer which one I left off on. I should "finish" it since I started it. I do like her Christmas books. I like just about ANYONES Christmas book!! LOL

Kreative Dryve
12-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Advanced Medical Calculations
I will get back to reading for pleasure one of these days!

loobylou
12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
I am pretty hooked on Debbie Macomber books right now.
The Cedar Cove series is great!
I have 3 Jodi Picoult books waiting, and a couple of Sue Grafton books.
I think Nora Roberts writes romantic fiction...not scary stuff.
I need to figure out how to incorporate my reading, crafting and TV interests in my days!
Joanie

Joanie, I think I'll check out Debbie Macomber. I like Jodi Picoult and Sue Grafton, so I'm hoping I'd like her too.

cindi
12-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Cindi, I checked out the Nora Roberts books at the library...are they all about vampires?? I don't think they are my cup of tea at all.

I am just finishing Di Morrissey, "The islands" , about an Australian girl who marries a US navy officer stationed in Hawaii in the 1970s. I suppose it is a drama/love story, but also lots of historical/political stuff in there too. I like that sort of thing.

hmm, I've never tread a vampire one..she does write science fiction under the name JD Robb though

iloveflipflops
12-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Who has time to read ?????

between reading the Shack, playing on facebook, keeping up with both of my blogs, checking out Splitcoast, reading the many blogs I do each day ...

you get the picture!!! LOL

GSMom385
12-28-2009, 10:20 PM
I am reading the Tudor Rose Trilogy books right now, by Susan Wills, they are an old series that they published again updated. I sort of done them out of order, I picked up book three in the airport not realizing it was a series until I finished the book and read the ad at the end for the other two. So then I read book 1 and now I am finishing up book 2 now. Great group of historial fiction. I also liked the twilight series and Ken Foilett's Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. All of which I have finished over the last few months. The Lost Symbol was also good but I found it scarey and I know you said you don't do scarey. I guess I forgot to mention those others are historical fiction with a little love story on the side thrown in to make it interesting and sometimes steamy.

mjbonoan
12-28-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm reading The Secret (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_(book)) by Rhonda Byrne and Duma Key (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duma_Key) by Stephen King.

MidwestStamper
12-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Yes, Nora Roberts is romantic fiction--not vampires at all.

If you like vampires--or even if you don't think that you do--you HAVE to read the TWILIGHT series. Oprah was told by her girls in South Africa that these books are "Delicious!" and they definately ARE! They are 4 books by Stephenie Meyers (in case you don't know about these books that have swept the world!!) The series is: TWILIGHT, NEW MOON, ECLIPSE and BREAKING DAWN.

Erin K
12-28-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm reading Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry series. I'm a HUGE Laurell K Hamilton fan.

I do read other stuff but at any given time I'm rotating these series (also a series fan)
Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris (the books HBO's True Blood is based on, and by they way they are NOT overly sexual, that's an HBO thing)
Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series
Laurel K Hamilton's Merry Gentry Series.

Oh Charlaine Harris writes fantastic mystery books as well, A Shakespear series (town named Shakespear), an Aurora Teagarden one and one other one I can't remember.

So those are my mainstays.

SEVERAL people have given me that book Three Cups of Tea. I rekon I need to read it as so many people think I'd like it. I think it's about how educating girls can change a community or something. Also people keep giving me The Kite Runner. I'm not sure what that's about or why I'd want to read it but maybe I should as everyone thinks it would make a great gift for me. Does anyone know those two books? Should I give them a go? Niether drew me in on the first page...

OHOHOH I see a new Merry Gentry book came out this month. And a new Anita Blake comes in Feb. goodie gumdrops!

MidwestStamper
12-28-2009, 11:28 PM
"The Shack" is a very emotional, religious, spiritual book. I don't know how to describe it any better than that.

mjbonoan
12-28-2009, 11:36 PM
I love Dean Koontz!!! He is scary so I don't think you would like him much.

One of my favorites together with Stephen King!!!

JBgreendawn
12-29-2009, 01:07 AM
I just finished reading "Night" by Elie Wiesel. I'm reading all of the books that are on my son's reading list for his English class. Anyway, I highly recommend "Night" to EVERYONE. I think it's one of those books that is required reading for all of humanity. It's a quick read (119 pages).

I am planning to read "The Shack" (yes, that is the name of the book) next.

oh have you started this yet? (Ive picked it up at costco and set it down countless times...)

Hubs got me the new Michael Chrighton (sp?) it has something about pirates in the title ( haven't cracked it open yet) but, its my (what's next) (it could possibly have scary parts as he also wrote Jurassic Park and other things like that...

sorry Sarah, i know thats not much help.

(Have you guys's tried good reads??) (its a site where you keep track of what you are reading and what you think of it after type thing plus you can see what your friends are reading or recommend)

JBgreendawn
12-29-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm reading Laurell K Hamilton's Merry Gentry series. I'm a HUGE Laurell K Hamilton fan.

I do read other stuff but at any given time I'm rotating these series (also a series fan)
Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris (the books HBO's True Blood is based on, and by they way they are NOT overly sexual, that's an HBO thing)
Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series
Laurel K Hamilton's Merry Gentry Series.

Oh Charlaine Harris writes fantastic mystery books as well, A Shakespear series (town named Shakespear), an Aurora Teagarden one and one other one I can't remember.

So those are my mainstays.

SEVERAL people have given me that book Three Cups of Tea. I rekon I need to read it as so many people think I'd like it. I think it's about how educating girls can change a community or something. Also people keep giving me The Kite Runner. I'm not sure what that's about or why I'd want to read it but maybe I should as everyone thinks it would make a great gift for me. Does anyone know those two books? Should I give them a go? Niether drew me in on the first page...

OHOHOH I see a new Merry Gentry book came out this month. And a new Anita Blake comes in Feb. goodie gumdrops!

this was the last thing i read recently :)

JBgreendawn
12-29-2009, 01:12 AM

I think i own just about everything Nora robberts has written (even the JD robb books) (these are murder mystery ones set in the future) all her books are romances at the core. yep, one series ( she tends to do books in groups of 3 with you know marry off this couple in the first book then the second couple in the second etc...) at least one series had witches, one had a vampire, one had some "other" type things, but most are just humans. give her a try. they are all pretty predictable as far as the story line goes but, she has a way of being able to make you care about her characters that even though i know what will happen i will still buy that second and third book in her series...

Erin K
12-29-2009, 08:43 AM
this was the last thing i read recently :)

I ordered it last night after seeing that!