PDA

View Full Version : Working moms...what are your kids doing for the summer?

patcreates
01-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Just wondering for those moms who work part time or full time, what are you doing with your kids for the summer? Do they go to camp or are they involved in some other type of program?

I am just wondering since I am trying to figure out what to do for my 9 year old son. Camp is expensive, but I may be searching out a full time job before then, so it may work into the budget. But if I don't find full time, I am looking for other options. This has not been a good year physically for my parents, so they are out of the question.

Thanks!

directmailscrapper
01-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Pat, Emily will be turning 14 this summer, so our options are very different than in year's past. I ALWAYS stressed about summer because I needed SOMEWHERE for her to go every day. And finding summer camps for the entire summer is more than a little bit challenging!

First of all, I needed camp for more than 9 - 5. Some camps end at 3:00! If you work, you probably need a full day of camp -- if you don't work -- you probably can't afford it! Never made a lot of sense to me!

Next, Emily goes to a private school. She gets out of school 2 weeks before and goes back to school one week later than the public schools. Those 3 weeks rarely had camps -- or very few options!

I never just wanted to warehouse her -- I wanted her to find camps that she liked! (Imagine that!). That gets TOUGH!

Good luck to you on your challenge -- and plan early!

Patty
01-27-2010, 03:35 PM
My dd has 2 sons, 12 and 14. If she's working by then, and I'm praying she will be, their school/town offers a couple of options. One is 2 or 3 days a week and they went there last year. One is full time--but costs more. I am not working any more, so I could do a couple of days--but I really don't want to do 5 days all Summer. (does that sound awful?) I love them to death, and they are no trouble, but 5 days is a lot.

patcreates
01-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks Nancy!

Just want to clarify that I am currently working part time 8-1 Monday through Friday, but may be looking for full time soon.

patcreates
01-27-2010, 03:42 PM
I am not working any more, so I could do a couple of days--but I really don't want to do 5 days all Summer. (does that sound awful?) I love them to death, and they are no trouble, but 5 days is a lot.

No it does not sound awful. My parents adore my kids, but I would never want to ask them to watch my 9 year old 5 days a week. He is really well behaved for them, but I just think its a lot to ask even though they would do it in a heartbeat.

HeatherJ
01-27-2010, 08:11 PM
My oldest is able to watch her brother now but before she could, we had high school students come to the house for the summer. The children got to stay home with their toys, backyard, etc. and really liked that option. The girls tool them to their tennis lessons and baseball practices. We live in a small town and they could walk. Both gals were children of parents I knew so I had no worries. It was a great option for us.

JBgreendawn
01-27-2010, 09:03 PM
well DS's good friend from grade school (that he only see's when there is no school has been being homeschooled for years now) so a couple of days a week he goes over there and i give that kids mom some pin money ( he's almost 14 so its not really baby sitting per-se but, she does keep an eye on them and feed him so...) and then some days he goes to his Grandparents and some days when i have very little to do i take him to the office and i try to work less so i can have a stay home at least once during the week day but... just depends on where it is in the month.
(this is during the day time)

last summer he made it into a Drama program at a local theater so he worked 6 days a week for 5 - 6 hours at a time there, mostly rehersals, but the month they did two different plays that was at night. so he was busy. this did cost 50.00 as a kid who made it in last year he has a very good chance of making it through the auditions this year too. ( thats the plan anyways his elective this semester is drama)

suzi_f
01-28-2010, 07:30 AM
When my kids were little, they went to day care & the day care's summer program. I was lucky enough to quit work the summer after my dd started Kindergarten so I was home with them during the summer. Since then, I've only worked part-time jobs so I've always been here. Now, they are old enough to take care of themselves (mostly; my dd is terrified of the stove) and next summer (2011), dd will have her DL & can drive herself & her bro anywhere the need to go. Hubby's suggesting I go back to working fulltime then. I'm suggesting he have his head examined!

stampcrazyjulie
01-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Plan early is my suggestion!! There are tons of Camps and other day or week long activities available but you just have to find them early. Sometimes they book up by March! Check with the YWCA/YMCA they have week long Camps that go all Summer. Also any College's or Universities sometimes have Kids programs or the Grad Students have programs they are running for Kids....Good Luck!! ;)

pesc
01-31-2010, 05:55 PM
OMG, I was putting that question far away in my brain .but let's face it I need an option for this summer for Audrey. I don't know what will be possible. I would like to get a student to babysit at home... Their is a summer camp with day care before and after the hours... but I heard so many bad comments about it and since Audrey has special needs because of her left arm I will stress out all summer if I send her there...
I really don't know what I'm gonna do!
I was babysitting all summer when I was old enough... I think it's the best solution but I need to find who could do that!
Good luck finding a solution!