PDA

View Full Version : oh man..Gary has shingles!!

cindi
02-04-2010, 09:00 PM
he got a rash a few days ago..went to teh dr this morning and he said chicken pox..or shingles..geez.. can I catch this??????? I in NO way want it and on top of that I finally have work this week..I don't need to be contageous..can I be contageous if I don't have it?? I feel bad for him..I've heard shingles are painful..so far he just itches..
:shocked:

tojoco
02-04-2010, 09:19 PM
I don't think shingles is contagous unless you have not had chicken pox. If you've had chicken pox, then you're safe. Poor Gary! I've heard it's painful too. I hope he heals quickly.

Firecracker
02-04-2010, 09:23 PM
My dad have them about 6 months ago. They are painful and itchy. Did they put him on some medicine? They did my dad. Joanne is correct about them not being contagious unless you haven't had the chicken pox. I do hope he feels better real soon. Hugs, Heather

cindi
02-04-2010, 09:34 PM
My dad have them about 6 months ago. They are painful and itchy. Did they put him on some medicine? They did my dad. Joanne is correct about them not being contagious unless you haven't had the chicken pox. I do hope he feels better real soon. Hugs, Heather

yes..he's got a mega priscription, so lets hope it clears up quick.
:)

Patty
02-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I thought it was the opposite. I thought that the virus that causes the shingles is the same as the virus that causes the chicken pox. Once you've had the cp the virus stays in you and can a be activated by exposure --I've also heard that stress also can cause it to "blossom". Where does he have it?. There is Rx that can make it much better and heal faster if you get it soon enough. ANY NURSES OUT THERE THAT CAN CLARIFY THIS??

cindi
02-04-2010, 09:46 PM
I thought it was the opposite. I thought that the virus that causes the shingles is the same as the virus that causes the chicken pox. Once you've had the cp the virus stays in you and can a be activated by exposure --I've also heard that stress also can cause it to "blossom". Where does he have it?. There is Rx that can make it much better and heal faster if you get it soon enough. ANY NURSES OUT THERE THAT CAN CLARIFY THIS??

mom says he's very lucky..his rash is on his back..about 3 inches above his waistline..so his pants don't ride on it. today is day 4 with a rash..at first I thought he had a spider bite..cause he's been in the cellar in Lincoln working on the furnace and it itched, so I was putting triple antibiotic cream on it and then today it was no better so he went to the dr.
:eek:

Jadyeebugsaunt
02-04-2010, 09:49 PM

Im not a nurse but two of my close friends have shingles and both of them have had cp the shilgles recure often. expore to the sun brings it on in one friend if its really hot. the other stress brings it on, She had to put down her 12yr old dog about 2 weeks ago, and that evening her shingles flared up. The way Patty explained it was the way it was explained to me.

Kreative Dryve
02-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Hope this information helps: very reliable website

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/shingles/shingles.htm

teabear
02-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Ouch, those are painful. Looks like you have good advice here. I hope he gets better quickly.

Mrs. Fence
02-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Poor Gary! I hope they don't last too long. Sounds like he's going to need some brownies, or cake, or something...:)

ccstampin12
02-05-2010, 08:40 AM
So sorry!
My DMIL had them many years ago, and was very uncomfortable.
I would imagine the meds these days will take care of it more quickly than back then.
I had the shingles shot, so I'm hopeful that I won't get them!
I heard that if you had the cp, then the virus remains in your body and can flair up again in the form of shingles.
Hope Gary feels better really soon!
Joanie

Paula Carden
02-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Antivirals! Pain Meds!!
He should not be around pregnant women as if they have not had chicken pox he is contagious.
There is a vaccine now for shingles.

milmogando
02-05-2010, 06:47 PM
that's bad news for Gary - poor fella. I hope it gets better quickly. I have heard they are very painful:(

emmcee
02-05-2010, 07:23 PM
I hope he soon starts to feel better. I've heard they are very painful, too.

cindi
02-05-2010, 07:38 PM
he got meds..so far it's just itchy and annoying..we will see how it goes...
:eek:

JBgreendawn
02-06-2010, 08:40 PM
(((Cindi))) Have you had the chicken pox??

hmmm makes me wonder... ( i had chicken pox as a kid) but our kid actually got vaccinated against it and never had them ... wonder if that gives them the same possibility of shingles later...??

cindi
02-06-2010, 08:43 PM
(((Cindi))) Have you had the chicken pox??

hmmm makes me wonder... ( i had chicken pox as a kid) but our kid actually got vaccinated against it and never had them ... wonder if that gives them the same possibility of shingles later...??

good questions!! I will call mom in the morning and see what she says
:)