PDA

View Full Version : best ink for heat embossing

pinkforever
02-14-2010, 08:52 AM
what is the best brand of black ink and what type of ink do i use for clear embossing with heat gun? thanks

inkinupstamps
02-14-2010, 09:10 AM
I find that VERSAFINE Onyx Black Archival instant dry pigment ink is the best black ink to use when using clear embossing powder to emboss. Versafine is just that, i.e. versatile and very fine so you get a detailed stamped image and once embossed you also don't lose the details with gunky or heavily inked images as some pigment inks do.

You definitely want to use a pigment ink when you'll emboss. Versafine brand is my favorite pigment ink to use for embossing.

HeatherJ
02-14-2010, 09:40 AM
I use the Versafine ink with clear ep as well, but I only learned that from the talented ladies here! I always used the coloured ep and was never happy with the lack of crispness.

kerry
02-14-2010, 01:00 PM
My favorite: Versafine...Nice crisp, clean, sharp images every time!

Paula Carden
02-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes Versafine for me too for embossing-works well.

suzi_f
02-14-2010, 01:48 PM
If it's "instant dry" wouldn't it not work w/embossing powder??

iloveflipflops
02-14-2010, 04:30 PM
I use VersaMARK and then use black embossing powder .. or whatever color I want :). Good luck.

Chris Miller
03-30-2010, 11:11 PM
I second the use of VersaMark! I love that ink for embossing.

shuggy
03-30-2010, 11:53 PM
you can use versafine to emboss?? it dries so fast...how do you get the powder to stick?

i only use clear powder to emboss. i use stampin up black craft ink if i'm just embossing black. otherwise i use versamark and whatever color of ink i want, then clear powder. i stamp in versamark first, then in the color. it is great.

inkinupstamps
03-31-2010, 08:22 AM
If it's "instant dry" wouldn't it not work w/embossing powder??

It absolutely does work with embossing powder. It isn't "instant dry" like a dye ink is. It IS a pigment ink that will indeed dry quickly but not so fast that you can't apply the embossing powder. It truly is the best pigment ink for really crisp images. I especially enjoy using Versafine and clear embossing powder if I'm watercoloring. There is no bleeding of the color.

If I'm using a colored embossing powder I use versamark.

loobylou
03-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Another vote for Versafine- I really don't use any other black ink for embossing- and get the refill cos you NEVER want to run out!

shuggy
03-31-2010, 11:32 AM
versafine onyx black is the only black ink i'll use. i've tried all the others and love this one the most...

teabear
03-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Just want to add that if you don't want a fine image, you can use Ranger distress ink in black soot. It's a great black that's good for a solid look. It's a dye ink, but a slow drying dye ink so it works.

Far North
03-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Great reminder Tami, Tim Holtz claims the Ranger distress inks gives one 20 minutes after inking to emboss and heat. Terrific for times when you want to work on multiple images prior to heating or adding lots of embossing colors on one item.

cindi
03-31-2010, 10:49 PM
what a great thread! I've enjoyed reading it..even if I have tried it all! lol
I use versa fine, sometimes, versa mark other times..so this has been a fun thread
:)

Catherine Pooler
04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I like Stampin' Up's Craft Black Ink.
Craft Ink also comes in 48 colors, so you can use clear EP with any color ink!

shuggy
04-05-2010, 02:16 PM
ok, i just tried embossing with versafine and i have to say...i'm in love!! it is so much more detail than black craft ink or versamark!!

djc
04-05-2010, 04:43 PM
"Another vote for Versafine- I really don't use any other black ink for embossing- and get the refill cos you NEVER want to run out!"
I think you're thinking of VersaMark because there aren't any refills for VersaFine unless that's something new. Those inkpads seem to last forever. I've had mine for over four years. I agree that you always want to have the VersaMark refill on hand. I definitely never want to run out of that. (I also have an extra VersaFine Onxy Black inkpad tucked away. I've just never needed to open it up.)

I also use VersaFine Onxy Black for almost all of my embossing. I also use Superfine Clear EP. Those two products work beautifully together.

Daria