PDA

View Full Version : My nativity stamp image

limeyscrapper
07-19-2010, 03:58 PM
You might remember that a week or two ago I posted a pic of my new "Nativity" stamp, and was a bit concerned that when I coloured the image, Joseph's face didn't look really good - in fact, he looked like an animal.
I tried a couple of different ways to do this but wasn't happy with any of them. Any method I used of colouring his face just made him look ludicrous.
Eventually I decided to just heat emboss the image with silver, on some watercolour paper. No colouring for Joseph's beard!
The background is silver, as are the brads that I used, the other cardstock is navy.
I'm much happier about using this image "uncoloured" for my ATC's.
I am a little disappointed with the stamp, as I planned on using it for some Christmas cards and would have liked to colour them. I did see someone else's version on SplitCoast Stampers, but i still thought it didn't look that good.

Christie
07-19-2010, 04:03 PM
I think this turned out great!!!

kerry
07-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Are you unhappy with the stamp because it has the line on Joseph's face? If so, you might consider altering the stamp...with an exacto knife. Just cut the Line on each side then shave it down with a mat knife. I've altered stamps like this before and it may help this stamp become one of your favorites...

Some people are nervous about cutting a stamp and some people think it's pure sinful...I say if you aren't going to use it for that little of a reason, do something that will allow you to use it. You bought it for a reason right?

You can also try masking the line but that doesn't always work in removing the whole line.

Kerry

suzi_f
07-19-2010, 05:42 PM
I think it looks GREAT now Chris. I think I've decided to NOT use this stamp for my nativity ATC. I don't want to color it & make him look like a monkey (although my DD is DYING to see a Changito Baby Jesus!) Now that I've seen yours, I'm afraid I'd copy it too much. I love to see people use the same stamp in swaps and see how different they use them. Ok, I've prattled on enough now. GREAT ATC Chris!!!

kerry
07-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Chris...

To help you see what the stamp would look like after cutting it, I altered the image a bit in your image you posted. If you want to see the altered card, let me know and I'll post it in the gallery for you. If not, I'll dump it in my trash since I didn't ask you in the first place if I could "tweak" it.

OK Chris told me to post it in the gallery, so here's the link to Joseph w/o the "monkey face".

Chris' ATC (http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/data/527/nativity41.jpg)
Kerry

limeyscrapper
07-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Kerry - I pm'd you. I'd love to see what Joseph would look like without the line. I never really considered cutting it off, but you are right - I'm not going to use the stamp as planned if i leave the line on, so i should try that remedy.
BTW, I never thought it was sinful to cut a stamp, I once beheaded a small snowman stamp that I didn't like much, so as to make him fit on a faux postage stamp!

midnitecreations
07-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Kerry, you did a great job getting rid of the line on Chris's Joseph stamp. What a difference.

jazzypurple853
07-19-2010, 06:57 PM
I agree, the stamp looks better without the line. I thought with the line in it, it looked liked a muzzle.

cindi
07-19-2010, 07:15 PM
thaT
s a great atc, Chris..I do like teh image better with no line. let us know if you "fix" the stamp
:)

Lori
07-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Wow, what a difference! Hope you alter the stamp and can use it.

suzi_f
07-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Off to cut MY stamp.....

dancing queen
07-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Are you unhappy with the stamp because it has the line on Joseph's face? If so, you might consider altering the stamp...with an exacto knife. Just cut the Line on each side then shave it down with a mat knife. I've altered stamps like this before and it may help this stamp become one of your favorites...

Some people are nervous about cutting a stamp and some people think it's pure sinful...I say if you aren't going to use it for that little of a reason, do something that will allow you to use it. You bought it for a reason right?

You can also try masking the line but that doesn't always work in removing the whole line.

Kerry

1st of all, great job Kerry. I like it much better without the line. I have a couple of stamps I'd like to alter but never knew how to go about it. What exactly is a mat knife?