PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Your Stamps

Catherine Pooler
07-29-2010, 11:43 AM
This is a common questions from newer (and sometimes no-so-new) rubber stampers. Well, there are several ways to do this. You can use a damp cloth, an alcohol-free baby wipe to clean them, or you can lick them clean.
Geez, I didn’t say those were GOOD ways, I just said they were ways.
So what is the best way?
You will need a Stampin’ Scrub and Stampin’ Mist. Spray the mist onto one side of your scrub pad. The mist will clean and condition your rubber.
Rub your rubber stamp on the wet side. The texture of the pad will get into all the nooks, crannies and crevices of your stamp and it will be all sparkly clean! Then, you’ll want to dry it on the dry side.
Don’t forget, every once in a while, you’ll want to pop your pads out of the plastic case and wash that with soap and water, or throw it in the top rack of your dishwasher. I promise you clean, sparkly, conditioned rubber stamps that will last a long, long time.

tojoco
07-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the advise Catherine. I do use the Stampin Up cleaner supplies but I do need to pop the pads out and get them clean.

KarenM
07-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Glad to know I can pop the pads in the dishwasher!!!
I tried baby wipes and just didn't feel that they worked well. They didn't get into the nooks and crannies. I use the Scrub and Mist.

workin4stamps
07-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Be advised, I have been told NOT to leave the pads in the dishwasher when it is in the "dry" cycle.

A lot of demos have said on SCS that theirs warped this way..

FYI.

mydogstinks2
07-29-2010, 03:18 PM
I used to clean my stamps now I'm lazy! lol

KarenM
07-29-2010, 04:25 PM
You don't clean them !! Does it ever cause problems?

directmailscrapper
07-29-2010, 04:53 PM
When I read that Tim Holtz didn't clean his stamps, I quit cleaning mine. After all, he knows what he's doing, doesn't he? Of course, it depends on what ink you use. I do have to clean up after Stampin Up ink, but not after Momento and Stazon! Are my stamps black? Yep! Does it affect anything? Nope! And if I really, really want to clean them, I do.

CharityHand
07-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Lick them? Nooo! Really? LOL

I'm just imagining the color tongues people would have after doing this and not to mention that icky rubber taste.

KarenM
07-29-2010, 05:02 PM
What a relief to hear this!! I have been getting really upset when I can't get all the ink off, especially when using Stazon. Not anymore!

maxiesmom
07-29-2010, 05:07 PM
I read that Tim Holtz didn't clean his stamps

I was going to say this same thing. I clean mine, but try not to be compulsively anal about it.

suzi_f
07-29-2010, 05:56 PM
I was going to say this same thing. I clean mine, but try not to be compulsively anal about it.

I AM anal about it. I can't not clean them. And, even w/stazon, it seems that if I use a diff color of stazon or even versamark, some of the ink comes off. I'm weird. I hate when my clear stamps turn red. Seems there is ALWAYS red ink on my scrubbie. I'm anal about washing the scrubbie pads out too. Didn't know I could put them in the d/w tho....

cindi
07-29-2010, 06:15 PM
what? you mean I'm not supposed to wipe them off on the butt of my pants?
uh oh..I've been doing it wrong!!
lol
:)

milmogando
07-29-2010, 06:29 PM
lol

nice one cindi - love your work!

milmogando
07-29-2010, 06:31 PM
When I read that Tim Holtz didn't clean his stamps, I quit cleaning mine. After all, he knows what he's doing, doesn't he? Of course, it depends on what ink you use. I do have to clean up after Stampin Up ink, but not after Momento and Stazon! Are my stamps black? Yep! Does it affect anything? Nope! And if I really, really want to clean them, I do.

woohoo! so nice to hear you have stamps that look loved and used! they are the best kind. you are an inspiration! perhaps they are like a good roasting pan - you know seasoned!

kimmyqtgirl
07-29-2010, 06:32 PM
ha ha ha ha... I purposely try to wear pants i don't mind getting inky so I can wipe mine off with my butt too! LOL.. ok not really but I have used the thigh portion of my pants to dry them. i am not by no means anal about cleaning them, but I always give them a quick wipe before I use colored ink so I don't get mixed colors.

directmailscrapper
07-29-2010, 07:59 PM
lol

LOLOLOLOL! You crack me up!

tojoco
07-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Suzi, I am anal about clean stamps too AND I hate it when my clear stamps turn red and stay that way. As soon as I finish stamping an image, I will clean it before I do anything else.

Patty
07-29-2010, 10:13 PM
I do clean my stamps with alcohol free baby wipes. I wipe all the ink I can get off. Then I stop. Never had a problem. I get more upset when the ink gets on the wood of the mounted ones. I guess thats another good thing about ums.

directmailscrapper
07-29-2010, 10:47 PM
I do clean my stamps with alcohol free baby wipes. I wipe all the ink I can get off. Then I stop. Never had a problem. I get more upset when the ink gets on the wood of the mounted ones. I guess thats another good thing about ums.

I may not clean the ink off of my stamps, but I HATE it when the ink gets on the wooden blocks, too!

shuggy
07-29-2010, 11:18 PM
i used to only use a scrub, but then switched to baby wipes. much faster and more convinient. i also use my pants to dry them!!

Mrs. StampFantasy
08-01-2010, 04:02 PM
If i clean my stamps, i make it with water and soap and a Nail brush with nature hair or with Staz on Cleaner. But i`m often to lazy and don`t clean.