PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of Zentangle?

Patty
09-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Each month when I go to my stamp club, after we swap the ATCs, one person is responsible for demo-ing something. Tonight it was a demo of Zentangle. OMG I love it. It requires very little in the way of supplies so it travels well. ---even room to room. the web site is www.zentangle.com (http://www.zentangle.com), or at least that's one of 'em. Check it out...I love it...just what I needed--another paper craft!!!:laugh:

MnMommy2
09-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Intersting... never heard of it before!

milmogando
09-08-2010, 12:37 AM
oh yeeah! right up my alley...tfs

ccstampin12
09-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Yes, there are classes for that at our LSS but I haven't signed up.
One friend did this on a pair of Crocs and they are awesome!
Joanie

jazzypurple853
09-08-2010, 08:00 AM
A couple of my lss around me have offered classes in this. I haven't yet checked it out yet.

karentom
09-08-2010, 08:07 AM
I have seen this before, and I find it fascinating and beautiful.
I would love to attend a class
Karen S

Patty
09-08-2010, 08:38 AM
We had a demo last night at my LSS. I absolutely loved it. Seems to me the most important thing you need is patience. and practice. I think it would be so great mixed with stamping!! As a takeaway, she gave us each a tile (like a coaster) and a maple leaf which is light brown. The idea is to Zentangle both and then mount the leaf. Cooooool!!

teabear
09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
I took a class on this in January from Suzanne McNeil. She's written several books on how to zentangle. Love it!

GSMom385
09-08-2010, 12:29 PM
we did some activities like this is art school when we studied Esher.

limeyscrapper
09-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Isn't this a bit similar to doodling?

Christie
09-08-2010, 02:10 PM
very neat but i don't think i could do it. i am not good at drawing....at all!

milmogando
09-08-2010, 06:49 PM

that's exactly it! someone just marketed it with a catchy name and made fancy 'tiles' !!! (gosh darn it...wish i'd thought to do it lol)

Patty
09-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Yes it is just like doodling. When I read about it, they said that. I just love it.

Patty
09-08-2010, 10:10 PM
very neat but i don't think i could do it. i am not good at drawing....at all!

Christie, give it a try. It is all done with simple lines -some patterns are easier than others. Try a plain one. I found when I tried it last night, the ones with the larger spaces (lines further apart) seemed easier.

teabear
09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
The cool think about it is that there are patterns that you follow, so you don't have to be good at drawing to do it. The idea behind it is that it's repetitive patterns and while you're doing it, your mind can rest thus the zen part. It's actually a good thing to help calm you in crazy times and is something that is taught to kids and people who are sick and all sorts of groups that need the focus and calm. It actually works in with our stamping, too. You can stamp and image and then tangle in and around it.

GSMom385
09-09-2010, 09:57 PM
We tangled as an entire family tonight. It was very calming and fun. I sat up last night and did a tangle just for fun. It was really relaxing and next thing I knew it was 3 am. When the kids got up this morning, they were like WOW mom, I didn't know you could draw like that, way cool can you teach me. So while they were at school today I pulled out some of my old drawing pencils from college and did a couple of illustrations, then inked and colored them with my copics. 1 of a lady vampire for the twilight freak at my house. They think I walk on water now. So after dinner we had a tangle lesson. The youngest is way better than all of us. It felt really good to draw again. Thanks Patty for the inspiration, I haven't drawn anything freehand of any extend in more than 20 years. I mean I occasionally do something for Tracy of Suzanne for a scrapbook page when they can't find an embellishement, but nothing of any size or detail like I did today. When I get the second one inked and colored I will post them on my blog. I feel a dragon coming on......guess I will go get it down in pencil before I forget what he looks like.

Patty
09-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm so glad you're enjoying it Cindy, and everyone else. When I was working I used to say that if I was not working I would have time for all these things. Well, now I'm not working and I still don't have enough time. Zentangle is new to me, and I don't plan to give anything up, so I guess I'll have to sleep less. I'm really loving this!!

midnitecreations
09-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Cindy, would love to see your zentangles. These are a lot of fun to do. I've swapped a ton of these and they're a lot of fun to do too. No real drawing skills needed. Just repeating patterns. I take some ATC blanks and a pen when I'm waiting at the Dr.'s or to soccer games. They're mostly black and white so no extra coloring tools needed! lol