PDA

View Full Version : New technique (to me) but not sure where to post this

Patty
01-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Went to Stamp Club last night. The new technique demonstrated was "image transfer". Ever heard of it? The lady brought some magazines/catalogs and we cut out 2 pictures we liked. She had that 2 or 3" wide clear packing tape (that I can never use without getting it all wrinkled), we put our picture face down on the sticky side of the tape. Trim off any excess. Burnish with a bone folder. submerge it in water. With the second picture we cut out she gave us each a piece of laminate you can buy in 8 1/2 x 11 sheets (+ other sizes). We put the second picture face down on that and trimmed closely. Put that in the water. (room temp water). After they soak for a while, you can take it out and lay it on a paper towel. With your fingers you can rub off the paper, and the image sticks to the tape or the laminate. The ink xfers to the tape or laminate--everything else comes off. REALLY COOL" One girl did a pic of a sailboat, and it looked like a photograph when she was done. You can stamp a backround and mount it..it looks like a painting. Ever done this before??:huh:

Paula Carden
01-05-2011, 05:23 PM
No I haven't but sounds interesting.

loobylou
01-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Some of my non-stamping friends who are into more "vintage" looking ATCs use this technique. It is very effective for photographs printed onto plain copy paper too

RubberLady603
01-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Wow, I never tried this but it sounds really cool!

HeatherJ
01-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I saw it in a demo a number of years ago and they did some sweet vintage type cards using copies of old photos.

Chris Miller
01-05-2011, 06:50 PM
I saw the technique done a on a tv show a long time ago, but I have never tried it. Maybe I will have to give it a try. I think I will try it with a photo of my kids for Grandma. If anyone tries it post your project. It would be great to see.

Chris

Patty
01-05-2011, 10:26 PM
I guess this just proves that everything old is new again, eh? It's cool to have a new way to do things sometimes!!!

limeyscrapper
01-05-2011, 10:42 PM
I saw this technique demonstrated several years ago. I seem to remember that when I tried it, it wasn't quite as successful as I'd hoped.
Usually when that happens I just give up, so I never tried it again. Maybe I'll have to give it another whirl.
After all, it sounds good and messy - definitely my kind of technique!

kerry
01-05-2011, 11:26 PM
yep, done many years ago. I love it for a vintage look. It works the best with CLAY based magazines and newspapers. Just have to be patient and gentle when you rub/peel the wet paper off the tape.

MnMommy2
01-06-2011, 12:57 AM
I saw this technique demonstrated several years ago. I seem to remember that when I tried it, it wasn't quite as successful as I'd hoped.
Usually when that happens I just give up, so I never tried it again. Maybe I'll have to give it another whirl.
After all, it sounds good and messy - definitely my kind of technique!

same here, i tried it too and i must have missed a step, because it didn't work well at all and i gave up, but i really want to try it again!

Patty
01-06-2011, 09:50 AM
yep, done many years ago. I love it for a vintage look. It works the best with CLAY based magazines and newspapers. Just have to be patient and gentle when you rub/peel the wet paper off the tape.

Kerry....how do you know if the mag is clay based? I can understand why that would work better...that wasn't mentioned the night I learned it.

Merry4003
01-09-2011, 05:10 PM
That was exactly my question Patty, thanks for asking....I was wondering....what is clay based...is that like the shiney magazine pages ?

Patty
01-09-2011, 05:26 PM

Kerry---how do I tell if the magazine/newspaper is clay based?

Mrs. Fence
01-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Kerry---how do I tell if the magazine/newspaper is clay based?

Hey girls, I just called my FIL. He used to work in a paper mill, so I figured he would know the answer to this question. He said the shiny coating on the magazines and newspapers is what makes them clay based, and most mags have this. I think it sounds like fun and may have to try it myself! :)

dancing queen
01-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I've been doing image transfers like this for several years. I don't do them often, but I always have a roll of clear packing tape on hand in case I come across a really neat picture in a magazine. They also make great transfers onto canvas. Here's just one of many links you can find on the internet: http://www.suite101.com/content/packing-tape-image-transfers-a172156 It's easy enough to try and often you can get a smaller roll of the tape at the dollar store.