PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a pot roast recipe??

kimmyqtgirl
02-17-2011, 09:59 PM
I usually throw it in the crockpot with some gravy and veggies but thought I would see if anyone has some different recipes they would share. I just am in the mood to try something new:)

Thanks

cindi
02-17-2011, 10:35 PM
well there is the ole lipton onion soup mix roast. just add a packet of dry soup mix to the roast, it'
s great with a small can of tomato sauce added to it too.

my mom makes small slices in the meat and shoved cloves of garlic in hers, that is yummy.
then again you can put the roast in the crockpot with either a bottle of beer or some wine..dang, now I want roast! lol
:)

kimmyqtgirl
02-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks Cindi I actually have ingredients on hand for both those ideas! I have never done the onion soup and tomato sauce and that sounds very yummy... We always have garlic on hand too LOL!

maxiesmom
02-17-2011, 10:45 PM
The bigger question is why are you cooking a pot roast at 10:00 at night? ;)

kimmyqtgirl
02-17-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm not cooking now I am cooking it tomorrow

midnitecreations
02-18-2011, 12:07 AM
I rarely make pot roast, so can I have the basic crockpot receipe!

loobylou
02-18-2011, 05:47 AM
I do 2 different pot roast recipes in the crockpot. I think I got them from the "4 ingredients" cookbook or cooking show.

Beef/lamb with red wine gravy
put your piece of meat in crockpot. (about 1.5kg)
sprinkle with pkt of dry onion soup mix.
Pour 1/2 cup red wine and 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar on top..
Cover and slowcook for 6 - 7 hours on low.

Optional: when roast is finished cooking pour the liquids into a saucepan, heat on medium and add 2 Tablespoons of cornflour that has been stirred into a little cool water. stir to thicken. Makes a divine restaurant quality gravy

beef/lamb and mushroom gravy
put your piece of meat in crockpot.
Pour a can of Mushroom soup over top. Sprinkle a half pkt of dry french onion soup mix over it, and leave all day (or at least 5 hours on low). The juices/soup in the pan can be used "as is" for gravy, or thickened with a little cornflour or gravox (bisto?)

If you want to add vegetables add them for the last hour of cooking

iloveflipflops
02-18-2011, 06:28 AM
When I do my pot roast, I cook it in my crockpot all day on low with 1 envelope Lipton onion mushroom mix. No water, no tomato soup, nothing else added. Its delish!

midnitecreations
02-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Thank you Sarah and Sherri. Those sure are easy and simple, with only 2-3 ingredients, and luckily, I have those. So, I'll be making that tomorrow in the crockpot!

Christie
02-18-2011, 03:52 PM
I always use the onion soup mix too. I've never tried the tomato sauce

midnitecreations
02-18-2011, 04:55 PM
When do you guys add the veggies?

Christie
02-18-2011, 05:57 PM
i add mine about half way through

kimmyqtgirl
02-18-2011, 06:15 PM
I usually make it in a crockpot with carrots and potatoes I throw it all in at the same time and add a can or two of gravy. But I am looking forward to making one of these recipes tomorrow. (my plans to cook today got interrupted)

cindi
02-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Like Kimmy, I add all my stuff at the same time, it works well for me. i LOVE my crockpot

midnitecreations
02-18-2011, 07:43 PM
This really seems so simple. My DS asked me for it and I was a bit apprehensive. Made it twice in my lifetime! Either sat. or sun. I'm definitely making this.
Cindi, I love my crockpot too, but I don't use it much. With my knee messed up, I've been using it more. I need to find more true and tried crockpot receipes.

iloveflipflops
02-18-2011, 07:44 PM
I NEVER cook my veggies in the crockpot. I just cook them separate. I think I did it about 20 years ago and didn't do it right so I never tried it again. LOL

cindi
02-18-2011, 08:00 PM
This really seems so simple. My DS asked me for it and I was a bit apprehensive. Made it twice in my lifetime! Either sat. or sun. I'm definitely making this.
Cindi, I love my crockpot too, but I don't use it much. With my knee messed up, I've been using it more. I need to find more true and tried crockpot receipes.

Renu, try this chicken recipe, it is so good!
look here (http://stamp-shack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30767)

iloveflipflops
02-19-2011, 07:09 AM
I can give you some tried and true recipes for the crockpot Renu. I use mine LOTS!!

CharityHand
02-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Here's how I make my roast. It's not really a "recipe" as much as a method:

Put some flour in a bag and season it with seasoned salt, pepper and maybe a little garlic. Toss the roast in the bag and shake it up to coat it well.
Pop the stems off some button mushrooms and toss those in the flour too. This step makes gravy a cinch as it's pretty much a product of cooking now.

Pan sear the roast and mushrooms for a minute or two on each side. Give the pan a shake to move the mushrooms around, throw in some chopped onions and then add the water until it comes half-way up the side of the meat. .

Pop it in the oven and wait a few hours and then it's done!

If I want to add veggies like carrots, celery and/or potatoes (depending on what I have on hand) I do that the last hour of cooking.

I usually don't add veggies though and roast potatoes separately. I like crispy potatoes rather than soft. (Unless I go all out and make mashed potatoes, but still that's done separately).

It's interesting to see how everyone else does it. You really can't mess up a roast. I make a big one so we can shred up the left overs for BBQ sandwiches and shredded beef burritos later on in the week. I think I look forward to left over night just as much as pot roast night. Yummmm!

Paula Carden
02-19-2011, 06:29 PM
No water or liquid? Does it not get hard on the outside?

Paula Carden
02-19-2011, 06:30 PM
I do the crock pot with a little water, salt, pepper, garlic- we like it and so does the dog.

kimmyqtgirl
02-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Ok today I tried the lipton onion soup mix and tomato sauce in the crockpot DH LOVED IT! It was very yummy and hardly any work (which is a plus for me)

Next time I am going to have to try another one of the recipes you girls listed! THey all sound so yummy.

cindi
02-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Ok today I tried the lipton onion soup mix and tomato sauce in the crockpot DH LOVED IT! It was very yummy and hardly any work (which is a plus for me)

Next time I am going to have to try another one of the recipes you girls listed! THey all sound so yummy.

I'm glad it was DH approved, lol
gary likes that way too, it's his fave.

midnitecreations
02-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Cindi, I have your chicken receipe, and it's extremely simply to maky and extremely delicious. It's one of the few receipes for the crockpot I do know and absolutely love. Sherri, send me the receipes, pleeeeease. I love all your receipes. I'm making the pot roast tomorrow. Sounds like the only decision I really have to make is add water/tomato sauce or no water! Can't wait.

Stampo
02-20-2011, 01:38 AM
I just use about 3/4" of water and add some onion and then later some carrots and potatoes. A pork filet is great with golden mushroom soup. Boneless chicken breasts are great with two ans of cream of chicken soup and a can of cream of celery soup and then toss in carrots and potatoes and about 20 minutes before serving, frozen yellow, green and red pepper strips... mmmmmmmm, good. My mother is here for the winter and makes baked beans in the crockpot every Monday along with her delicious Potato Salad... I recently got a Presto Pizzazz and it's an incredible gadget too...

midnitecreations
02-20-2011, 09:47 AM
These are all fantastic. Thank you.

Patty
02-20-2011, 09:42 PM
I cook my pot roast (and pork roast) in the crock pot with a can of cranberry sauce (jelly type), some veg. broth, cut red potatoes, carrots, onions etc. mmmmmgood!!

cindi
02-20-2011, 10:00 PM
I cook my pot roast (and pork roast) in the crock pot with a can of cranberry sauce (jelly type), some veg. broth, cut red potatoes, carrots, onions etc. mmmmmgood!!

oohh, that does sound good, I love cranberrys..I will have to try that

midnitecreations
02-20-2011, 10:35 PM
These really sound very good!

dancing queen
02-26-2011, 11:48 PM
well there is the ole lipton onion soup mix roast. just add a packet of dry soup mix to the roast, it'

my mom makes small slices in the meat and shoved cloves of garlic in hers, that is yummy.
then again you can put the roast in the crockpot with either a bottle of beer or some wine..dang, now I want roast! lol

Hey cindi, I thought after all of that, you would want some beer or wine :)

Paula Carden
02-27-2011, 07:50 AM

So Cindi- just small can of tomato sauce and a packet of onion soup mix-nothing else?