PDA

View Full Version : I was a bad girl!

mydogstinks2
01-17-2007, 07:06 PM
So I had to work tonight from 5:30 to 10. I was on my way to work, almost there and I relized that I had jeans on! :err: We are not allowed to wear jeans at work. We can only wear them on Fridays and if we pay $1.00 to wear them then. So I figure I would just go in and see what they say. I know that they have let people wear them before. So I go in and clock in and they ask me why I'm wearing jeans. I told them I totally forgot I had on jeans. I had a super busy day and just left for work in them. They said I needed to go home and change and then come back. I said um no! It would take me a half hour home and then a half hour back! I was not gonna waiste 2 hours of my day to work for 3! So they sent me home! LOL:rolleyes:

Erin K
01-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Walmart charges it's employees to wear jeans on fridays?? That place is insane. What do they do with the jeans money? Please tell me it goes to some sort of charity.

Well you got off work, so that's cool. I hate you working there.

mydogstinks2
01-17-2007, 07:15 PM
The money does go to charity! That way they can say they donate tons to charity!! But it comes from us!

I have the next 3 days off too! I'm on a mini vacation! Wooo-hoooo:biglaugh:

Erin K
01-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Now I want to know what portion of their charitable giving is coming from the pockets of their underpaid overworked employees just so they can wear jeans one stinking day a week.

Hurray for your vacation!

lost luggage
01-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Here I come....retail workers advocate...lol

Is that a national policy to charge $1 for jeans on Friday??

maxiesmom
01-17-2007, 07:47 PM
I think our credit union does a similar thing. There used to be a sign up saying that if they were wearing jeans that the employee had donated monry to xyz charity to do so.

It never dawned on me that Wal- Mart uses that as part of their advertising. Boo hiss. I rarely shop there, the ones over here are so crappy. I'm a Meijer gal.

suzi_f
01-17-2007, 07:50 PM
When my dh worked for a bank, they had to pay to wear jeans. I figured it cost me $1.15 to have his shirts cleaned so, I was coming out ahead! All the $$$ went to the United Way. They also guilted EVERYONE into giving during the UW BIG campaign so they could brag that they had 100% participation. I'm all for charirty but, why do these huge companies have to be so stinky about it???

mommagus
01-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Enjoy your mini vacation! At my job, they charge $1 to wear jeans on Friday also. The money goes to different charities. I didn't realize that companies were doing that all over the United States.

mydogstinks2
01-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Alot of places do the jean money. I don't really mind that to much. I pay it if I wear them. Once in awhile they do it all week and you can pay $5 for the whole week.

stampinmom3
01-17-2007, 08:28 PM
We pay 5.00 once a month to wear a bank logo'd shirt where I work with khaki pants. LUCKY you guys wearing jeans.

Paula Carden
01-17-2007, 08:57 PM
We at our agency allow staff to wear jeans on Fri-but they pay 10.00 per quarter for it. The money then goes to charity a couple of times per year-all of it or we help an employee if there has been something happen unexpected-a very bad illness, accident or something. Our staff loves the idea that we have something set up to help a local charity or a person in need. This started several years ago with dress down Fridays and the money donated to charity.
I pay each quarter whether I wear jeans or not.
Paula

dgbearsmom
01-17-2007, 10:59 PM
We get to wear jeans every Friday and don't have to pay. They will also sometimes designate other times that we can wear them. We have an employee appreciation week every fall and can wear them all week and we got to wear them from the week before Christmas through the first week of January every day. We can purchase stickers for $1.00 each that allow us to wear jeans on any other day of the week. We can only purchase 5 stickers and all that money goes to charity. I actually work for a pretty nice place. They also have a babies in the workplace program. I got to have my son at work with me every day until he was 6 months old. We can also do a 4-day workweek, but I don't because it makes the days too long.

Judy

Erin K
01-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Judy that sounds so cool! I always wanted a 4 day work week. When I worked though it was 12 hours a day 5 days a week at least.

LOVE the babies in the workplace thing

ctmhgirl
01-17-2007, 11:09 PM
I never knew companies did that. You learn knew things every day.

dgbearsmom
01-17-2007, 11:10 PM
The bad thing about the 4 day week is you have to work 10 hours a day on the 4 days. With 3 year old, that is practically impossible. By the time I get home, it's almost time for him to go to bed. The babies thing was very cool.

Judy

lost luggage
01-17-2007, 11:15 PM
The old boss I filed suit against (and won) insisted that Managers contribute a minimum of 10% of their saleries to the United Way. I refused. That was the start of the decline of our working relationship. lol

I have never heard of this $1 jean policy...I am going to mention it to my attorney.. :GEEK:

kenzlane
01-18-2007, 08:32 AM
wow a dollar to wear jeans. Could you pay that monthly?

mahodgman
01-18-2007, 08:37 AM
I work for a city government, and every year there is a big United Way campaign where I feel pressured to contribute. Forms are passed out to sign up for a payroll deduction, and you have to turn the form back in weather you participate or not. Now, I am all for charity, and I give where I can, but this pressure thing really bugs me. So, I do not contribute during the campaign! It just irritates me, so I don't do it!

toao
01-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Well honey you should come work at our WM then....they wear just about anything they want! I might add that most of the time you can't tell who works there and who doesn't. And some of them dress pretty scrungy.

Mary

Erin K
01-18-2007, 01:07 PM
See the issue I have with the jeans thing is it uses peer pressure to make you donate. Because there is a stong visual as to whether you donated or not. I also never participated in the sticker for casual dress ones either for the same reason. Julie I'm SHOCKED by that policy and glad you won your lawsuit. That's crazy. It's none of anyone's business what I do with my charitable offerings. If your company wants so much to donate huge amounts they should take it off their profits, not out of the pockets of the workers. Not even the high level workers like that. I do think donating is wonderful and a good thing but it should be a private thing I think . Ok, off my soap box back to your regularly scheduled programing.

lost luggage
01-18-2007, 02:03 PM
See the issue I have with the jeans thing is it uses peer pressure to make you donate. Because there is a stong visual as to whether you donated or not. I also never participated in the sticker for casual dress ones either for the same reason. Julie I'm SHOCKED by that policy and glad you won your lawsuit. That's crazy. It's none of anyone's business what I do with my charitable offerings. If your company wants so much to donate huge amounts they should take it off their profits, not out of the pockets of the workers. Not even the high level workers like that. I do think donating is wonderful and a good thing but it should be a private thing I think . Ok, off my soap box back to your regularly scheduled programing.

You're shocked? Imagine the look on my face when my peers informed me of that! Here I was taking a pay cut to join a great company (so they all say) only to find out that now they wanted my pay to be LOWER than that! They say you can decline, but of course, a lot of them donate the money and of course they talk about you... I thank my stars EVERY day I do not work for those idiots any longer. EVERY day. It was the most miserable 8 months of my life. I guess ervything happens for a reason though, because after that I found a FANTASTIC company where I stayed until I had the baby. I talk to my old coworkers almost every day and consider them my friends. They are very philanthropic too, only they use the company's money, not the employees.